Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]
Thanks for sharing insights. This is very helpful since I'm international and can't visit campus to see for myself.
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]
phlaym39 wrote:
Thanks for sharing insights. This is very helpful since I'm international and can't visit campus to see for myself.

You're welcome. I didn't attend campus until I was already admitted anyways.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Any idea what % of MBB hires don't come from either MBB in their previous work experience or as MBB sponsored students?
Director
Director
Send PM
Ballpark, I'd say around 2/3 are not sponsored. Internship figures are a good way to compare schools (although people without a MBB summer internship do get into MBB during FT hiring, no sponsored students intern at their company during the summer, so it makes it easier to compare schools)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]
mgg234 wrote:
Ballpark, I'd say around 2/3 are not sponsored. Internship figures are a good way to compare schools (although people without a MBB summer internship do get into MBB during FT hiring, no sponsored students intern at their company during the summer, so it makes it easier to compare schools)

That's a good point. So that would explain why the internships seem so scare. I have seen some firms on some reports have an internship and fulltime offer number being basically the same. Wonder what's happening there. How is the recruiting going? Anything major you've learned along the way that you didn't realize going in?
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Cubsfan87 wrote:
mgg234 wrote:

That's a good point. So that would explain why the internships seem so scare. I have seen some firms on some reports have an internship and fulltime offer number being basically the same. Wonder what's happening there. How is the recruiting going? Anything major you've learned along the way that you didn't realize going in?

Consulting recruiting is going well, what I learned is:

1) Pick a location early. I was deciding between two locations (chicago and non-chicago)...Firms where I quickly picked a place had a much higher conversion into close list events.
2) Focus on the recruiting manager for your school, they have WAY more sway than random associates or even partners.
3) Recruiters are people and want to work with people they like - don't ruin a good conversation by asking some stupid question you already know the answer to (e.g. whats the difference between regional and national staffing)
4) It takes up so much time, started to get really burned out towards the end.
5) There's a lot of people who are recruiting for consulting who really shouldn't - people who blatantly don't have the social skills or the case skills. A lot of people also don't even know why they want to do consulting. This is bad, you should have a good understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, and what you want to do, or you're going to have a bad time.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Awesome advice mgg234 !

Any advice for getting onto closed lists besides location selection? Was there anything that you did during the company presentations that helped you stand out? Did you do any pre-MBA networking or internships?
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
dtse86 wrote:
Awesome advice mgg234 !

Any advice for getting onto closed lists besides location selection? Was there anything that you did during the company presentations that helped you stand out? Did you do any pre-MBA networking or internships?

Company presentation don't matter much at all for close-list selections. Beyond that, it's tough to tell. From the best I can tell, different places seem to have different criteria. Some base it off coffee chat performance, some base it off resume, some base it off who the main campus recruiter knows, etc. It's really a black box to me. Some super stars are invited to everything, but some people with poor social skills are invited to everything too (making me think resume is part of it).

That said, from what I've heard from second years, it's not worth stressing about. Unlike banking, people who don't get invited to dinners with get on closed lists, and people who get invited to dinners won't get on closed lists. Hell, even if you need to bid for an interview, plenty of people get in through this.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks again mgg234! Great thread!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hey mgg234 !

I just got waitlisted at Kellogg. Any tips or advice on how to turn that into an admit? :-D
Director
Director
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:
Hey mgg234 !

I just got waitlisted at Kellogg. Any tips or advice on how to turn that into an admit? :-D

Stay in contact, but in general the waitlist is used to help create the class profile they want...For example, if they let in too many finance people and you're on the waitlist, you're not getting off the waitlist. This is the same at all the top 10-15 schools.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mgg234 wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
Hey mgg234 !

Stay in contact, but in general the waitlist is used to help create the class profile they want...For example, if they let in too many finance people and you're on the waitlist, you're not getting off the waitlist. This is the same at all the top 10-15 schools.

Thanks again. I guess I'll wait to hear a follow-up and get in touch with my WL manager.

For now it feels like I'm in this weird limbo, like purgatory... :shock:
GMAT Club Bot