It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 23:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm currently a 1st year student. I know many of you are deciding where to apply R2, and will eventually need to decide which school to attend. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 11:32
Thanks for offering to field questions. I have 2.

1. How was your Kellogg interview? Was there anything you think that you did well and anything you would have done differently?

2. How is the culture and social life? Is there any social "divide" between 2yr, 1yr, MMM, etc. students?

Director
Director

Re: Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 14:52
phlaym39 wrote:
Thanks for offering to field questions. I have 2.

1. How was your Kellogg interview? Was there anything you think that you did well and anything you would have done differently?

2. How is the culture and social life? Is there any social "divide" between 2yr, 1yr, MMM, etc. students?

1. My Kellogg interview was pretty casual, but it's important to keep in mind that outside a handful of exceptions (e.g. Harvard), the difficulty of the interview is going to be based more on the interviewer than the school. For Kellogg, they are rating applications on a handful of dimensions (e.g. experience, composure, would they be a good classmate), but the interviewer can ask any questions they want to get there. For example, Duke was my hardest interviewer and Booth my easiest, but many people have the exact opposite experience due to having different interviewers.

2. I love the culture and social life. I went to undergrad at a big city school, and this is way better...every weekend you hang out with Kellogg students, which builds much deeper bonds and friendships than is possible at a school like Columbia or Booth. Between KWEST and sections, you will have 80-100 people you consider friends, and atleast 10-20 people you consider good friends, within a month or two in. The school really knows how to build deep friendships. Plus, since Kellogg has less finance people and weighs interpersonal skills more than it's peers, most of your classmates are really cool..outgoing, friendly, non-competitive (and due to this, even shy people are reached out to and will make friends). Furthermore, all the group projects further enhance friendships and relationships. My friends who are going to other M7 schools are having mixed feelings about their schools, but I can't really find anyone who is having a bad experience at Kellogg...everyone, including me, seems to love it here.

Social divide...between 2y/MMM not really. I'm 2Y and a lot of my close friends are MMM. 1y is a bit of a unique beast, since you don't share orientation nor 1st year classes with them. You will meet a few through KWEST, but they are a bit more insular. Kellogg definitely integrates them, and they'll be in clubs and leadership than you, but they are functionally 2nd year students and are going through FT recruiting before you even start internship recruiting. I have quite a few 1Y friends personally, but they are friends I met through my KWEST buddies.

Current Student

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2014, 06:49
Thanks for sharing insights. This is very helpful since I'm international and can't visit campus to see for myself.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 23:26
phlaym39 wrote:
Thanks for sharing insights. This is very helpful since I'm international and can't visit campus to see for myself.

You're welcome. I didn't attend campus until I was already admitted anyways.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 07:45
Any idea what % of MBB hires don't come from either MBB in their previous work experience or as MBB sponsored students?

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 08:53
Ballpark, I'd say around 2/3 are not sponsored. Internship figures are a good way to compare schools (although people without a MBB summer internship do get into MBB during FT hiring, no sponsored students intern at their company during the summer, so it makes it easier to compare schools)

Posted from my mobile device

Current Student

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 14:38
mgg234 wrote:
Ballpark, I'd say around 2/3 are not sponsored. Internship figures are a good way to compare schools (although people without a MBB summer internship do get into MBB during FT hiring, no sponsored students intern at their company during the summer, so it makes it easier to compare schools)

That's a good point. So that would explain why the internships seem so scare. I have seen some firms on some reports have an internship and fulltime offer number being basically the same. Wonder what's happening there. How is the recruiting going? Anything major you've learned along the way that you didn't realize going in?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [1], given: 54

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
Cubsfan87 wrote:
mgg234 wrote:

That's a good point. So that would explain why the internships seem so scare. I have seen some firms on some reports have an internship and fulltime offer number being basically the same. Wonder what's happening there. How is the recruiting going? Anything major you've learned along the way that you didn't realize going in?

Consulting recruiting is going well, what I learned is:

1) Pick a location early. I was deciding between two locations (chicago and non-chicago)...Firms where I quickly picked a place had a much higher conversion into close list events.
2) Focus on the recruiting manager for your school, they have WAY more sway than random associates or even partners.
3) Recruiters are people and want to work with people they like - don't ruin a good conversation by asking some stupid question you already know the answer to (e.g. whats the difference between regional and national staffing)
4) It takes up so much time, started to get really burned out towards the end.
5) There's a lot of people who are recruiting for consulting who really shouldn't - people who blatantly don't have the social skills or the case skills. A lot of people also don't even know why they want to do consulting. This is bad, you should have a good understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, and what you want to do, or you're going to have a bad time.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 158

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 09:26
Awesome advice mgg234 !

Any advice for getting onto closed lists besides location selection? Was there anything that you did during the company presentations that helped you stand out? Did you do any pre-MBA networking or internships?

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
dtse86 wrote:
Awesome advice mgg234 !

Any advice for getting onto closed lists besides location selection? Was there anything that you did during the company presentations that helped you stand out? Did you do any pre-MBA networking or internships?

Company presentation don't matter much at all for close-list selections. Beyond that, it's tough to tell. From the best I can tell, different places seem to have different criteria. Some base it off coffee chat performance, some base it off resume, some base it off who the main campus recruiter knows, etc. It's really a black box to me. Some super stars are invited to everything, but some people with poor social skills are invited to everything too (making me think resume is part of it).

That said, from what I've heard from second years, it's not worth stressing about. Unlike banking, people who don't get invited to dinners with get on closed lists, and people who get invited to dinners won't get on closed lists. Hell, even if you need to bid for an interview, plenty of people get in through this.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 10:30
Thanks again mgg234! Great thread!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2014, 03:11
Hey mgg234 !

I just got waitlisted at Kellogg. Any tips or advice on how to turn that into an admit? :-D

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2014, 09:43
dtse86 wrote:
Hey mgg234 !

I just got waitlisted at Kellogg. Any tips or advice on how to turn that into an admit? :-D

Stay in contact, but in general the waitlist is used to help create the class profile they want...For example, if they let in too many finance people and you're on the waitlist, you're not getting off the waitlist. This is the same at all the top 10-15 schools.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2014, 11:41
mgg234 wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
Hey mgg234 !

Stay in contact, but in general the waitlist is used to help create the class profile they want...For example, if they let in too many finance people and you're on the waitlist, you're not getting off the waitlist. This is the same at all the top 10-15 schools.

Thanks again. I guess I'll wait to hear a follow-up and get in touch with my WL manager.

For now it feels like I'm in this weird limbo, like purgatory... :shock:

Re: Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything.   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2014, 11:41

Attending Kellogg was the best decision of my life, ask me anything.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap