Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Awful performance [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
aaronTgmaT wrote:
Hello Guys,

I really need help here. I wrote my first real GMAT yesterday and scored 470 (Q32 V 23). Meanwhile, I had scored 610 (Q 42 V 32) three days before the real test day on GMAT practice exam 2.

So my issue is that, I was told GMAT prep practice exam is the best predictor of the real test ie give or take ± 30. How is it possible that I dropped by a whooping 140 points. I even wrote the practice test 1 two weeks earlier and I had 580.
I completed Magoosh with 900 questions and OG'17 with 70% of the questions. I started this year Jan. Then in May last month, I used Economist GMAT about 42% complete. I did the practice tests full sitting: AWA and IR inclusive. My target score is 650 and my intended schools include Fisher-Ohio, SUNY buffalo, UC Boulder, Northeastern Boston.

I would like to know why I dropped by 140 points so that I avoid them the next time . I couldn't even sleep last night just because of the score and was trying to figure out what happened but I thought it wise to seek members' opinion

By the way, I wrote the practice exams at different locations ie at home and at my work place which is about two minutes walk from Pearson Vue center.
I will write again because this is simply unacceptable by my own standards. I'm more than fired up

Thank you for your advice

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yes, such a steep drop is a bit unexpected. In fact, both your actual raw scores are lower by almost 10 points. What you might want to do first of all is get your ESR. To be honest, I wouldn't keep very high hopes from it but still, it can sometimes give some insights. You might realise that you absolutely bombed a certain question type and hence would know that you need to work on it much more.

Secondly, start with the base score of 470 now. I would recommend going through a complete prep test curriculum. At these score levels, good theory and some practice questions can substantially raise your score. The way I understand, you seem to have focussed only on doing questions and not on theory. I will leave you with a link which has links to some of our free resources - our DS book, our SC video lecture, a practice test and a trial class:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
These resources will give you a good idea about how the complete curriculum can help you.

I did complete the theory if not I wouldn't have scored 610. Something must be wrong with my approach. I arrived at the center too early, about 1.5 hours before start time. I even got tired of waiting. But I doubt fatigue caused it. I also overspent my 1st break by 2.5 minutes and I was already behind time before Quant started. I don't think that also played a role because I managed to see all questions.

Also, would the ESR provide all the questions so I try to redo them?

Thanks

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Awful performance [#permalink]