Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

HP or Dell

You may select 1 option
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
best brand or model of laptop/HP x360 touch screen [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I personally like the Apple hardware (I don't use the MacOS though and install windows on it).
The main features (weight, WIFI reliability, screen, and reliability) are all there. I don't really care what CPU, Webcam or dolby sound - i have it muted, cam disabled, and CPU works just fine for my email and posting on GMAT Club ;-)

I have it hooked up to 4 monitors and it is doing just fine too, so it can handle a decent load I am not a huge fan of the touch-panel since it can crash in certain instances when Bootcamp desides to crash (not often but happens).

In terms of the actual question - HP vs. Dell. I have had both and I feel 10 years ago Dell was strong. HP sucked. I feel HP has improved and dell somewhat slacked (I can't figure their site out - i feel there are so many models and it is so complicated to shop for a laptop that it is almost trying to discourage me from shopping but thats perhaps me). I have owned 3 Dells and my wife has one now that I bought used. For the first year My Wife's dell became mute (sound card disappeared) every time there was a software update. That stopped happening about 6 months ago.

I have a friend who has purchased the new Surface a few months ago - he is not particularly happy with it. He gets a lot of odd errors such as out of memory and others, indicating that possibly it is a software issue but still not very pleasant.

Ultimately, I think there are many experiences that folks will have. I would recommend not going after the highest speed or highest something else but rather a tested and well-tried model that wont' require special drivers and special handling and would allow you to just work and use it....

P.S. I would definitely get SSD and at least 8 GB of RAM and that's about all the requirements I think exist. If you have a lot of files you like to carry, I would suggest getting an external SSD rather than trying to get a huge built in one but that's me. I don't have that much so a 512GB SSD is plenty (my first computer had a 720MB hard drive :dazed ) but I could probably fit into 256GB if I did not run WIN and MacOS on the same machine.

BB.
GMAT Club Bot
best brand or model of laptop/HP x360 touch screen [#permalink]