Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Best path to take from here? [#permalink]
Hey jumsumtak,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and provide good feedback! I've started with the MGMAT SC book since I feel that'll be the easiest place to improve which will also have the greatest impact on my score if I can get those mistakes down to 0 or 1. I was looking at the charts and noticed that trying to get 51Q might not be worth the effort. I enjoy the Q section though, so I might fit some of those in there for fun.

Is OG 13 different enough from OG 12? I usually only see the links for OG 12. (Maybe the forum does this automatically?) I ordered OG 11 because Khan Academy has solutions for all the math answers of that edition and from the looks of it, people said there weren't significant differences between OG 11 and OG 12. However, if OG 13 is worth the upgrade, I might consider purchasing that too.
Edit: Nevermind, just saw this in a review: "4. There is an 83% overlap with the previous edition (12th edition). Compared to 66% overlap between OG 12 and OG 11"

Do you know if this guide includes additional CAT exams? I remember reading somewhere that OGs included 6 CAT exams, but the description on Amazon makes no mention of this for OG 13.

What order should I go through the prep books? I want to make sure I get in enough 700+ questions so I can get closer to my 750 goals. Kaplan doesn't seem to be good for 700+ questions according to the forums. I was thinking maybe this:
MGMAT SC -> MGMAT Verbal -> Quick review of some problem areas in Quant/DS -> Learn overall strategies for IR and AWA -> Go through OG 11 -> Do LSAT material -> Take some CAT exams available online (not sure which order yet) -> Review incorrect answers and learn from the mistakes -> Take Exam 2 from the GMATPrep to get a fairly accurate representation of my possible GMAT score -> Take the actual GMAT exam

Thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements?

Thanks again!

P.S. Just gave you kudos for your help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Account Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Dude, GMAT prep is strange. I took a test and only missed 8 in quant and I got a 45. My misses were very spread out too! How can you miss 12 and get a 48?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
jdough wrote:
Dude, GMAT prep is strange. I took a test and only missed 8 in quant and I got a 45. My misses were very spread out too! How can you miss 12 and get a 48?

you can't really track the algorithm with number of rights and wrongs. I've seen people getting a Q51 with 4-5 wrong answers.
It really depends on what is the level of the questions that are attempted incorrectly.

But, yes, it can get weird at times if you consider that statistic alone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
First things first, official questions are 'always' worth your time, money and effort. I can't lay more stress on being thorough with the OGs and the concepts it tests.
IMO, you should purchase the $25 question pack from -removed-. (the pack has around 400 questions)

Okay, will do, thanks!

Quote:
The 6 CATs you are talking about come with any of the MGMAT books. If you have purchased a new book, you would have got the access. If not, I recommend purchasing an MGMAT book from Amazon (read the description; some of them don't have access to the 6 CATs). In my experience MGMAT CATs are the next best thing to the GMAT prep tests. So you will definitely need them during your preparation.

Oh, you are right. I must've confused this with OG. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
for AWA - just use this -had to remove link to post- and you will be good to go
for IR - don't fret too much over it, but do understand the type of questions asked. OG and the pack from -removed- are enough for IR.

Good recommendation! I have bookmarked and saved it for the time when I will review the AWA.

Quote:
Quant and verbal prep is very subjective and has to be tailored according to your needs.
for SC: Manhattan SC would do and I'm sure you will improve once you get a hold of the pattern of GMAT questions. Similarly for DS questions as well.
for quant: OG should be the start. But if you are aiming for a Q50/51, I will recommend to solve questions from the forums as well.
I'm not sure why you say Q51 is not worth the effort. Did you mean it does not add to your overall score significantly or it would be difficult to reach there?

Thanks. From looking at a lot of different people's scores and efforts, along with the scaling chart, it seems like the jump from Q48 to Q51 requires a tremendous amount of effort that doesn't necessarily reflect in the final score. I enjoy the Q section so I might try to improve it significantly anyway, but I think it would be better to try to get my verbal to 45 before really fine tuning my quant. Maybe this isn't proper thinking?

Quote:
You will need to switch back and forth between quant and verbal, and also between taking tests and studying concepts. Most of us took tests at regular intervals (weekly) and spent a day to review the test. Make sure you do this; it adds a lot of value and that is how you make the most out of your mistakes.

Good tips. I remember seeing a post that showed where to get lots of different tests from many sources. I will try to compile those first and build them into a regular test taking interval (weekly sounds good).

Quote:
Try to squeeze a process, trick, trap, concept - as much as you can from each question you attempt.
and you may PM any one of us if you require help with the specifics.

Best

Thank you again!!! Kudos given.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
jdough wrote:

you can't really track the algorithm with number of rights and wrongs. I've seen people getting a Q51 with 4-5 wrong answers.
It really depends on what is the level of the questions that are attempted incorrectly.

But, yes, it can get weird at times if you consider that statistic alone.

I was also really skeptical of this at first. Then I started reading the forum posts and saw multiple reports of similarly strange scores. I took screenshots for my own reference in case you're interested. They are attached.
Attachments

File comment: 48Q, 38V -> 710
First-Practice-Test-2013-01-14.png
First-Practice-Test-2013-01-14.png [ 30.64 KiB | Viewed 1696 times ]

File comment: 37 questions, 12 incorrect (Missing #12 - not in screenshot - was also incorrect)
First-Practice-Test-QResults-2013-01-14.png
First-Practice-Test-QResults-2013-01-14.png [ 54.26 KiB | Viewed 1695 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
Mentalist wrote:
Thanks. From looking at a lot of different people's scores and efforts, along with the scaling chart, it seems like the jump from Q48 to Q51 requires a tremendous amount of effort that doesn't necessarily reflect in the final score. I enjoy the Q section so I might try to improve it significantly anyway, but I think it would be better to try to get my verbal to 45 before really fine tuning my quant. Maybe this isn't proper thinking?

It is actually about how you design your game plan. If you feel you are strong in verbal and want to hit the ceiling there first - absolutely go ahead. You can always come back and improve your quant. Obviously, once you take a few tests, you will know what areas you should focus on.

Q48 to Q51: effort - yes, does not reflect - no.
Let me take my example. I knew a score below Q51 would not be reflective of my capabilities and it is the 'only' way for me to get a good score. I'm not trying to suggest anything here. I'm just saying, that I somehow developed a notion that if I don't get Q51 I will not do justice to myself and that is in fact, the only way to get a good score. Needless to say, I saw a huge final score difference between Q50 and Q51 with similar verbal splits.
It was a pretty nerdy (and not very holistic) approach, but I think it paid off in the end.

Its about how you treat your mind and how well you execute your strategy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
Mentalist wrote:

It is actually about how you design your game plan. If you feel you are strong in verbal and want to hit the ceiling there first - absolutely go ahead. You can always come back and improve your quant. Obviously, once you take a few tests, you will know what areas you should focus on.

Q48 to Q51: effort - yes, does not reflect - no.
Let me take my example. I knew a score below Q51 would not be reflective of my capabilities and it is the 'only' way for me to get a good score. I'm not trying to suggest anything here. I'm just saying, that I somehow developed a notion that if I don't get Q51 I will not do justice to myself and that is in fact, the only way to get a good score. Needless to say, I saw a huge final score difference between Q50 and Q51 with similar verbal splits.
It was a pretty nerdy (and not very holistic) approach, but I think it paid off in the end.

Its about how you treat your mind and how well you execute your strategy.

I know exactly what you're saying. I also feel the same way, but the posts/chart I went through convinced me otherwise. I actually have plenty of time to prepare, so I guess there's no harm in adding more prep to the mix :) I got an 80 in the PSAT math, a 790 on SAT math, and an 800 on SAT II Math II, so I definitely feel like I could also hit Q51 if I put in the time. Thanks for your boost. I am now a follower :)

Revised plan (implied review of all exams and questions/answers/solutions if available)...
MGMAT SC strategy
->GMATPrep SC problems
Slingfox Quant Notes
Forum Quant Questions (have to figure out where/how to use this)
->GMAT Pill eBook Quant Section (Ch. 6)
--->MGMAT CAT Test 1
Edit: By jumsumtak's suggestion, I should add the problems from gmatclub . com/forum/members/member-73391.html here.

MGMAT Verbal
->GMATPrep CR and RC questions
chineseburned's 6.0 AWA strategy reading
->Review possible essay prompts and try writing answers
IR review from official MBA question pack
--->MGMAT CAT Test 2
(Identify core weaknesses and revise strategy/approach)
Following is tentative at this point...
OG 11 Quant or Verbal
Limited LSAT material (The Official LSAT SuperPrep)
--->MGMAT CAT Test 3
GMAT Pill eBook other sections
--->MGMAT CAT Test 4
(After that, really depends on how much I have to improve... The following may change order.)
OG 13 (not full read)
More LSAT prep
->GMAT Club 700+ quant questions
Specific MGMAT for quant (Fractions? Geometry? We'll know later.)
Slingfox Verbal Notes
--->One more MGMAT CAT Test (5)
Relax...
--->Practice Exam 2 from GMATPrep
-------->REAL EXAM! :)

Anything else you would add in there or change up? Thanks again jumsumtak!

Originally posted by Mentalist on 15 Jan 2013, 14:43.
Last edited by Mentalist on 15 Jan 2013, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
sounds good.

hate to say this, but this will obviously change in coming weeks, as you explore more. Good to plan out none the less :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
sounds good.

hate to say this, but this will obviously change in coming weeks, as you explore more. Good to plan out none the less :)

You are absolutely right. I just wanted to have an overall plan together so that I have measurable goals and a sort of mini checklist. It'll definitely help me during my prep and if I have any other questions, I will post or PM! Thanks again jumsumtak! You certainly deserve the member of the month award! :D
GMAT Club Bot