Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Best Study Plan for my Goal [#permalink]
Thanks for getting back!

I don't want to do an MBA (which requires professional experience of a few years). I want to do a normal master.

Regarding the books that you recommended: Those are on Amazon US. Is this the equivalent?

amazon.de/GMAT-Foundations-Math-Practice-Manhattan/dp/150624923X/ (can't post links)

desertEagle wrote:
mario99 wrote:
Hi there,

I will graduate from business school next summer and want to do my master's directly afterward. I'm located in Germany and want to study in Europe.

Since I want to apply this year, I need to do my GMAT this fall. What is the best plan to study for it? Stretch it over 3-4 months with a few hours a week or 3 weeks full-time?

Also, which resources can you recommend to freshen up my basic quant skills? Í think that this will be my biggest gap. I already read a few resources here on the forum but I feel that my case is quite unusual.

INSEAD, LBS etc are good place for MBA. You will need 730+ to get into top MBA colleges.

If you intend to take GMAT in 3-4 months, then you will have to be done by basics within a month. If you study 3 hrs a day, you can be done with it in 1 month.

For quants, if u need to brush on basics, use Manhattan books. They will provide you with basics needed for quants. You can also buy advanced quants book to get ur score upto 51.

Best of luck
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mario99,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, although you may need more or less time depending on your Score Goal and current Test-taking skills.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can access 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have that Score, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
mario99 wrote:
Thanks for getting back!

I don't want to do an MBA (which requires professional experience of a few years). I want to do a normal master.

Regarding the books that you recommended: Those are on Amazon US. Is this the equivalent?

amazon.de/GMAT-Foundations-Math-Practice-Manhattan/dp/150624923X/ (can't post links)

desertEagle wrote:
mario99 wrote:
Hi there,

I will graduate from business school next summer and want to do my master's directly afterward. I'm located in Germany and want to study in Europe.

Since I want to apply this year, I need to do my GMAT this fall. What is the best plan to study for it? Stretch it over 3-4 months with a few hours a week or 3 weeks full-time?

Also, which resources can you recommend to freshen up my basic quant skills? Í think that this will be my biggest gap. I already read a few resources here on the forum but I feel that my case is quite unusual.

INSEAD, LBS etc are good place for MBA. You will need 730+ to get into top MBA colleges.

If you intend to take GMAT in 3-4 months, then you will have to be done by basics within a month. If you study 3 hrs a day, you can be done with it in 1 month.

For quants, if u need to brush on basics, use Manhattan books. They will provide you with basics needed for quants. You can also buy advanced quants book to get ur score upto 51.

Best of luck

yes these books will do ..
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
mario99 wrote:
Hi there,

Let me share my 2 cents here. The answer to your first question depends on 2 things:

1. What is your target score? and
2. How many hours can you study weekly if you stretch your prep over 3-4 months?

If your target score is around 600-650 and you can devote only about 5-7 hrs a week at present, then it is better to prepare 3-4 weeks full time and get done with the test. However, if your target is around 700 or you can devote upwards of 10 hrs a week, it is better to stretch the prep over 3-4 months because to reach a high score, you need to focus a lot on the methodologies that you adopt to solve questions. Developing these methodologies is easier when you give yourself some additional time to practice.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other queries. With regards to resources, you can look at some online courses too as they also provide proper analytics to help you figure out where you're headed. To try out GMATWhiz, you can create a free account here: https://learn.gmatwhiz.com/?page=signup
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mario99,

I think studying for 3+ months is better than studying for just 3 weeks; however, you still should be putting in about 18+ hours a week, even over a 3-month period.

Regarding resources, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
Hi!

I think preparing over a stretch of 3 months would be a better idea because you will get enough time to build on your skills.

For quants, I can't recommend the Target Test Prep enough. The course is very detailed, so you need to be patient with it, but the content is worth the time and money invested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Dear mario99,
I endorse the view of sakshi2022 and would suggest to try TTP course because its well structured study plan and unique approach already have helped me to ameliorate my Quant score form 35 to 44. I have not completed the Verbal part yet, but what do I say is that its curriculum, not only covers all general materials but also provides step by step guide to hone the acquired knowledge. Moreover, I have found some answers to SC questions that were not disclosed in the Manhattan guide such as inner and outer list, delayed subject etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So is the best way to start the following?

Freshn up basic math skills (high school level) and than take practice test to see weaknesses? Or should I just work through the official gmat guide?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
mario99 wrote:
So is the best way to start the following?

Freshn up basic math skills (high school level) and than take practice test to see weaknesses? Or should I just work through the official gmat guide?

Here is an article that will help you with getting started:

How to Start Studying for the GMAT: 5 Steps for Success
GMAT Club Bot