Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [28]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [11]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [2]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [2]
Send PM
Re: Bethany: The unavailability of adequate clean water is a serious issue [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
thegmatmaster wrote:
Reviving this discussion.

I'm having difficulty understanding why C is correct. Beth argument is that the water problem should be tackled immediatly. Camila disagrees with Beth - therefore, with the prioritization. In her perspective, another issue is of higher gravity and priority.

She's not disagreeing that the water is an issue, but rather with the conclusion that is should be addressed immediatly. My rationale would invalidate C as correct.

Would love to hear your opinions
Maxximus
KarishmaB
GMATNinja

Bethany: X is a big problem. Resolve it right now.
Camilia: No, Y is a bigger problem. Prioritise it instead.

By suggesting that priority must be given to Y, Camilia is countering X. Something like, "We will see about X later. Let's resolve Y first."
When Camilia says, "I disagree," she is countering Bethany's proposal.

In any case, is there any other option that works better? No.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Bethany: The unavailability of adequate clean water is a serious issue [#permalink]
Kudos
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Hi,

I too marked 'D'.

rohan2345 can you please provide the reasoning for choice 'C'.

Hi Sarjaria84,

Here is the official explanation for this question.

Official explanation –

The main problem with Camilia’s argument is the “I disagree” part; while she may believe that sanitation is a bigger issue (and it may actually be so), her disagreement for a solution to another problem is where the fundamental flaw in her reasoning lies.

A- While lack of data is a shortcoming in Camilia’s argument, it cannot be called ‘fundamental flaw’ in her reasoning.

B- There is no evidence of this in the reasoning; an amateurish answer choice.

C- Correct. As suggested above, this addresses the fundamental flaw in Camilia’s reasoning.

D- While this qualifies as a fair ‘assumption’ in Camilia’s argument, this doesn’t qualify as the ‘fundamental flaw’ in her reasoning

E- Not a good reasoning. Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Hi,

I too marked 'D'.

rohan2345 can you please provide the reasoning for choice 'C'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
I think D is not accepted as right answer because the argument does not derive that Camilia thinks that clean water is not related to Sanitation, yet she might still propose her sanitation project over clean water. If we negate D, Camilia assumes that sanitation is linked to clean water, her proposal still stays strong as we do not now what type of sanitation is being discussed (it could be placing new seawage piping) thus not causing flaw in her reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Bethany: The unavailability of adequate clean water is a serious issue [#permalink]
Hi,

The "I disagree" part of the argument can also be interpreted in a way that Camilia disagrees with Bethany's view of the government taking "Immediate" action on the water problem. In that case, Camilla does not disagree with Bethany's solution, instead just disagree with the importance associated with it, which is fair.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Bethany: The unavailability of adequate clean water is a serious issue [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 please help me between option C and D?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
B- She assumes that Bethany is not in favor of government measures for improving sanitation conditions in the village.
Lets say she did not assume that and assumes that Bethany is in favour of govt measures for improving sanitation conditions in the village. Well, Camila's claim, prioritize sanitation over clean water, can still stand. So this is not a required assumption and does not constitute a flaw.

D- She assumes that the sanitation problem is not linked with the lack of adequate clean water for the villagers.
Lets say Camila did not assume that and instead assumes that sanitation problem IS in fact linked with lack of clean water. But similarly, Camila's claim, prioritize sanitation over clean water (maybe sanitation will solve the problem of lack of clean water), can still stand and her disagreement over priority of these two would've still been valid. So this is not a required assumption and does not constitute a flaw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
D links both the problem perfectly and adresses a flaw
C posts assumption i would rather think Gmat would rather propose that has something linking the 2 passages just my thoughts.......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Righ Karishma Veritas is right
We can say something is flaw based on some factual incorrectness
Given we don't know if the two causes need to be linked we can't say if that her assuming "no linking exists" is a flaw.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
KarishmaB I agree with your reasoning regarding the error in option (D).

Considering option (C), which says " In her attempt to propose a progressive step, she counters another progressive step.
". On what basis, can we say that "sanitation" is a progressive step from "unavailability of water"? Because she uses the words "I disagree", this would not mean it is a progressive step, it seems to be more of a new suggestion.

Kindly please help me clarify this issue
GMATNinjaTwo mira93 nightblade354 carouselambra GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Hi,

The way I looked at the problem is as under:

Bethany suggested that the Government should take "IMMEDIATE" steps for clean water for villagers.

Note: I believe this is the main suggestion/opinion of Bethany.

Camilie: I disagree. The sanitation is the bigger problem. It should resolved first/on priority.

Camilie gives reasoning that govt should tackle sanitation first then go to the issue of clean water availability, otherwise the "IMMEDIATE" action on clean water will delay priority goal of sanitation.

if both things are linked i.e. clean water might help in sanitation or vice versa, government can help mitigate both issues together.

But she is positively assuming that both of the things are not linked and hence cannot be done together i.e. Clean water availability does not help in the priority goal of sanitation or vice versa.

Therefore, I believe the correct choice should be D.

For "C", She is not opposing a "progressive step" of working clean water availability, she is only opposing IMMEDIATE action on it. Hence C should not be correct.

Experts please guide
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Reviving this discussion.

I'm having difficulty understanding why C is correct. Beth argument is that the water problem should be tackled immediatly. Camila disagrees with Beth - therefore, with the prioritization. In her perspective, another issue is of higher gravity and priority.

She's not disagreeing that the water is an issue, but rather with the conclusion that is should be addressed immediatly. My rationale would invalidate C as correct.

Would love to hear your opinions
Maxximus
KarishmaB
GMATNinja
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts