Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Quote:
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain quiescent in the earliest phases of an embryo’s development.

(A) tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain

(B) tell individual genes both at which time they should become active or should remain

(C) tells individual genes both when to become active or remain

(D) tells individual genes both when to become active or when to remain

(E) will tell an individual gene both about when it should become active and remain

OA is "A".

HI GMATNinja , generis , AndrewN , GMATCoachBen GMATGuruNY

Can you please help me with this problem.

How would that refers to substances ? one of the substances tells individual genes right but not all the substances.

Can you correct me ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Kudos
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain quiescent in the earliest phases of an embryo’s development.

(B) tell individual genes both at which time they should become active or should remain

(E) will tell an individual gene both about when it should become active and remain

OA is "A".

How would that refers to substances ? one of the substances tells individual genes right but not all the substances.

Can you correct me ?

Hi,

If you scroll one post above you will find my post that details the sentence structure of this SC questions.

If you focus on the sentence structure and especially the meaning analysis you will see that the "Biologists" found one of the substances What kind of substances? "The ones that tell individual genes..."

The relative pronoun modifier beginning with "that" is simply modifying the noun "substances" and that is correct! We are essentially saying that
(1) the Biologists found one of the many substances.
(2) These substances are those that tell genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent

Hi hope this helps :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
John is THE ONLY ONE of the members WHO IS PLANNING TO ATTEND.

Here, John is THE ONLY ONE planning to attend.
No other members are planning to attend.
In other words:
Of the members, John is THE ONLY ONE WHO IS PLANNING TO ATTEND.
Since John is THE ONLY ONE, IS PLANNING is correct.

John is only one of THE MEMBERS WHO ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND.

Here, many members ARE PLANNING to attend.
John is ONLY ONE of these members.
In other words:
Of the MEMBERS WHO ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND, John is only one.
Since John is not THE only one -- other members ARE PLANNING to attend -- a plural verb is needed here.

NandishSS wrote:
[How would that refers to substances ? one of the substances tells individual genes right but not all the substances.

Can you correct me ?

Biologists...have found one of the substances that tell individual genes...when to become active.
Here, many substances TELL genes when to become active.
Scientist have found ONE of these substances.
In other words:
Of all the SUBSTANCES THAT TELL GENES WHEN TO BECOME ACTIVE, one has been found by biologists.
Since many substances TELL genes when to become active, a plural verb -- tell -- is required.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:

Can you correct me ?

Hello, NandishSS. I agree with what has been written already in response to your query. In fact, reading over the reply by GMATGuruNY reminded me of a similar dialogue that you and I had engaged in on a different question. Rather than piggyback off of an already fine and detailed analysis to this that question, I would urge you to revisit that other dialogue, here.

Happy reading, and thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 856 [2]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:

OA is "A".

Can you correct me ?

NandishSS, This is a common source of confusion, thanks for asking me. I see that there are already excellent explanations to your question by other experts above. I will only add:

The singular "tells" is a tempting trap, because we are often crossing off the "of X" modifier to find the subject. The difference here is the word "that", which modifies "substances" to create the intended meaning -- "found one of (multiple) SUBSTANCES that TELL"

For example:

ONE of the dogs IS gold.

ONE of the DOGS that LIVE here IS gold.

Here is another similar question for you to try: https://gmatclub.com/forum/with-a-new-p ... 89983.html

There are also more details and examples from Ron Purewal's notes here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/subject-verb ... l#p1129636
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI AndrewN , GMATCoachBen , GMATGuruNY

Thank you. I got it now. :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM

'substances' is plural; we need plural 'tell'. Eliminate C and D.

The use of 'about' in E is incorrect.

In Choice B the use of 'or' is incorrect. Since we have 'both' earlier in the sentence, 'and' is required.

Answer is A.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances

Shouldn't presence of "one" in the sentence require "singular" verb tell?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Hussain15 wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the substances tell individual genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Tenses + Idioms

• “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.
• Statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.

A: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "substances" with the plural verb "tell".
2/ Option A correctly uses the idiomatic construction "both A ("when to become active") and B ("when to remain...development")", maintaining parallelism between A and B and thus conveying the intended meaning - that the substances tell individual genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent.
3/ Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verb "tell" to refer to a statement of universal fact.
4/ Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "both A ("at which time they should become active") or B ("should remain quiescent...development")", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the substances tell individual genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.
2/ Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "at which time they should become active", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "substances" with the singular verb "tells".
2/ Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "both A ("when to become active) or B ("remain quiescent...development")", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the substances tell individual genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

D:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "substances" with the singular verb "tells".
2/ Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "both A ("when to become active") or B ("when to remain quiescent...development")", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the substances tell the individual genes when to become active and when to remain quiescent; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

E:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple future tense verb "will tell" to refer to a statement of universal fact; remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.
2/ Option E fails to maintain parallelism between A ("about when it should become active") and B ("remain quiescent...development") in the idiomatic construction "both A and B"; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.
3/ Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "about when it should become active", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts