Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:24 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Re: Boosting a 710 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi MCatindig,

You're ultimately asking Admissions questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and situation. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just some additional information - I took the exam twice, 3 weeks apart. Breakdown of the first exam below:

Verbal - 41
Quant - 42
Total - 680
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Boosting a 710 [#permalink]
Hello MCatindig

I'm in a similar situation as you are, planning to retake in the next 4-6 weeks, and I had similar questions re: materials to study to boost the score. I got some great feedback from experts in the forum that may be helpful and applicable to you as well:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/shooting-for ... 16954.html

Have you taken a mock exam yet? It might be helpful just to help re-baseline where you are vs your target score.

Cheers,

Chris
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MCatindig,

With a 710/Q47, you have an outstanding GMAT Score - so if you end up not getting accepted, then that Score is probably not going to be the reason why. There's no harm in restarting your studies, but if it's been over a year since you last studied for the GMAT, then it's likely that some of your GMAT skills have 'faded' a bit. As such, it would make sense for you to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT (one that you have NOT taken before), so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. There are 6 CATs available from GMAC and a number of realistic 3rd party CATs available (from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas). Once you have that result, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your 710. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define how you were performing back in 2018 - and what you should work on now to score higher. If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

While I don't expect you to remember all of the details of your prior studies, I'd like to know more about how you were studying back in 2018:

1) How long did you study for?
2) What study materials did you use (including practice CATs/mocks)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Boosting a 710 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MCatindig,

With a 710/Q47, you have an outstanding GMAT Score - so if you end up not getting accepted, then that Score is probably not going to be the reason why. There's no harm in restarting your studies, but if it's been over a year since you last studied for the GMAT, then it's likely that some of your GMAT skills have 'faded' a bit. As such, it would make sense for you to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT (one that you have NOT taken before), so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. There are 6 CATs available from GMAC and a number of realistic 3rd party CATs available (from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas). Once you have that result, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your 710. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define how you were performing back in 2018 - and what you should work on now to score higher. If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

While I don't expect you to remember all of the details of your prior studies, I'd like to know more about how you were studying back in 2018:

1) How long did you study for?
2) What study materials did you use (including practice CATs/mocks)?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the input. Tuck instructed me to hold tight, as they'll be sending updates/feedback on my application next month. I don't usually like wasting time though so I'm weighing the benefits of taking the GMAT again, as I've heard of people getting waitlisted with a similar or identical GMAT score as mine (the average at Tuck is 721 if I'm not mistaken) or taking some internet classes to bolster my quant cred. Internet classes may be a better option at this moment though given the lockdown in Metro Manila but I'll wait for their feedback before making a decision.

As social distancing is being enforced, I can probably do a fresh GMAT as practice this weekend. What is your opinion of Manhatten Prep? I used them previously, and for my next post I'll give you some details about my preparation for the 2 prior GMATs that I took.

Stay safe everyone!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input guys. Am wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions regarding overall approach to the waitlist/getting off of it?

Like I said, I'm hoping to get some feedback next month that I can hopefully act on, but in the meantime am willing to begin GMAT revision to be proactive. Any thoughts? Below are a couple additional facts about me:

Work experience: Corporate banking and Treasury in top Filipino banks and the Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi
University: University of London, 2012
GPA: 3.5 - 3.6 equivalent
Additional credentials: CFA Level I and II
Application round: R2

Not sure if this belongs in another forum. Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot