GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
P
Re: Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 01:37
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 198

Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing pattern unique to each one.

(A) displaying a wing pattern unique to each one
(B) displaying a unique wing pattern in each
(C) each uniquely displaying a wing pattern
(D) each of which displays a unique wing pattern
(E) each of which uniquely displays a wing pattern

regarding choice A and B.
displaying refer to butterflies. this is wrong. it should refers to species.
second error is that
if displaying refer to butterflies, we need add "each".
each displaying a unique wing pattern.
the butterflied each display a unique wing pattern
without "each", sentence is not logic because all butterflied can not display a unique wing pattern.
this is the second error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 09:00
daagh wrote:
Tthe wing pattern is unique whereas E says that the display is unique

hI daagh !!!!!

1. iN D, each of which is acting as a subject and sdsiplays is the verb. Then how can we jon two independent clauses without semi colon or FANBOYS. Is this a dependent clause or a relative clause ?

2. In C , each of which displaying ... This is absolute phrase . Per my understanding, besides wrong placement of unique, there is nothing wrong in the absolute phrase.

Am i correct with my above contentions ? Kindly enlighten

Regards
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 04:33
Top Contributor
Quote:
Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing pattern unique to each one.

Quote:
Shank wrote

1. iN D, each of which is acting as a subject and sdsiplays is the verb. Then how can we jon two independent clauses without semi colon or FANBOYS. Is this a dependent clause or a relative clause?

2. In C , each of which displaying ... This is absolute phrase . Per my understanding, besides wrong placement of unique, there is nothing wrong in the absolute phrase.

1. 'Each of which displays a unique wing pattern' -This is a relative clause and not an IC. Each is a noun but because of the inclusion of the relative pronoun, it becomes the subject of a relative clause. and has now necessarily to fall back on whatever the word, 'which' refers to. We cannot join a relative clause by a semicolon or fanboys with the main clause. This is the structure of a complex sentence.
2. A wrong word error is unacceptable in GMAT, if it changes the original intent. Hence, we have to consign C to the bin.
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 05:01
daagh wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Shank wrote

1. iN D, each of which is acting as a subject and sdsiplays is the verb. Then how can we jon two independent clauses without semi colon or FANBOYS. Is this a dependent clause or a relative clause?

1. 'Each of which displays a unique wing pattern' -This is a relative clause and not an IC. Each is a noun but because of the inclusion of the relative pronoun, it becomes the subject of a relative clause. and has now necessarily to fall back on whatever the word, 'which' refers to. We cannot join a relative clause by a semicolon or fanboys with the main clause. This is the structure of a complex sentence.
2. A wrong word error is unacceptable in GMAT, if it changes the original intent. Hence, we have to consign C to the bin.

Got it !! Thank you so much for prompt reply dear sir :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 03:59
Hello All,

From my error log:

General Rule:
,verbing modifier provides generic info about the action, how aspect of the action, or effect/result of the action.
,verbing modifier associates itself with the subject of the preceding clause.
In the above sentence:
,displaying is modifying butterflies however butterflies are not the doers of this action. The sentence intends to say butterflies have a unique wing pattern. Hence usage of –verbing is incorrect.
Correct option D

Is my understanding/reasoning correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 09:27

The verb-ing modifier may provide a general description of the preceding clause but it doesn't make sense to say that the butterflies display a wing pattern unique to each one. It is the different species that do the action of displaying a wing pattern. A is incorrect.

B. The same error as A. 'in each' seems to indicate that the butterflies display a unique wing pattern in each species. This is illogical.

C. the action of displaying is not unique. The wing pattern is unique.

D. correct answer.

E. usage of a noun+noun modifier instead of a verb-ing modifier is correct. But the action of displaying is not unique. The wing pattern is unique.
Re: Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2020, 09:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing patter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics