Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
ChannyLace wrote:
My friend just got the call yesterday.

She has a 640 GMAT. So proud of her.

That gives hope to the under 700 crew.

Congrats to your friend. But it definitely is A LOT easier for women to get into top b-schools. A guy, especially a white or asian male, would have virtually no shot at columbia with that GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:
ChannyLace wrote:

Congrats to your friend. But it definitely is A LOT easier for women to get into top b-schools. A guy, especially a white or asian male, would have virtually no shot at columbia with that GMAT score.

Do you have any numbers to back up that statement? I can't find it for Columbia, but for Stern, the percentage of women applicants is 35% and the percentage of women in the class is 34%. So unless the yield for women is very different than the yield for men, it seems that the admission probabilities are the same. Here's the reference:

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... stern.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cmv wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:
ChannyLace wrote:

Do you have any numbers to back up that statement? I can't find it for Columbia, but for Stern, the percentage of women applicants is 35% and the percentage of women in the class is 34%. So unless the yield for women is very different than the yield for men, it seems that the admission probabilities are the same. Here's the reference:

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... stern.html

A friend from college works at the admissions office of a top b-school (not gonna disclose where), and he told me that women and non-asian minorities have a much easier time getting in. He did not give me exact numbers, but I take him at his word. This is also supported by all the people I know who applied and looking at their credentials and results, women definitely had an easier time.

Not taking anything away from them. I hope people do not interpret this as somehow being sexist. I'm merely describing what the situation is.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
nothing sexist about it, just supply and demand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

To clarify, I wasn't implying sexism from anyone. But I have looked around for quantifiable verification of this frequent claim, and the most I have been able to find was a statistical analysis on a blog (which I can't find right now), which concluded that there might be a small advantage. I can easily believe that it was a large effect years ago, when the number of female applicants was much smaller, but it's not clear to me that it's still the case now (https://www.topmba.com/articles/applicat ... tions-GMAT), and I'd really like to find out one way or the other.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:
cmv wrote:

A friend from college works at the admissions office of a top b-school (not gonna disclose where), and he told me that women and non-asian minorities have a much easier time getting in. He did not give me exact numbers, but I take him at his word. This is also supported by all the people I know who applied and looking at their credentials and results, women definitely had an easier time.

Not taking anything away from them. I hope people do not interpret this as somehow being sexist. I'm merely describing what the situation is.

Yeah, the admissions bias is somewhat true, but not "politically correct" and "publicly" said. Nevertheless, I give kudos to her for her resolve and getting into CBS, given her 640 score!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
futurestrategist wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:
cmv wrote:

Yeah, the admissions bias is somewhat true, but not "politically correct" and "publicly" said. Nevertheless, I give kudos to her for her resolve and getting into CBS, given her 640 score!

I only have a pathetic 700 GMAT,which worries me deeply. Oh well, I'll just wait and see what happens.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
I do also get the sense that women have an advantage in admissions, though I do think the gap is closing as more women are applying and being admitted to B-school. As for the stats, even for women, I have mediocre stats. A piss poor GPA and an average GMAT score with low quant. I do think in the end they look at the whole package though. I spent a lot of effort on my essays and I do think that helped. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
[

Originally posted by globalcitizen on 12 Jan 2011, 12:29.
Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 20:11, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

You want to see something really pathetic about female applicants?

Check out: https://mademoisellefaitcentrale.ecp.fr/

The domain name ecp.fr belongs to Ecole Centrale Paris in France, top 3 engineering school. Look at that ridiculous website they have set up to "attract" girls :?

Girls whom I have shown the website were pissed off to be considered dumb fashionistas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

You want to see something really pathetic about female applicants?

Check out: https://mademoisellefaitcentrale.ecp.fr/

The domain name ecp.fr belongs to Ecole Centrale Paris in France, top 3 engineering school. Look at that ridiculous website they have set up to "attract" girls :?

Girls whom I have shown the website were pissed off to be considered dumb fashionistas.

hey look at the calculators in the background! i'm female -- i wonder what the marketing campaign was.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Yes you are right, after reading my initial sentence a few times it may not sound right.

"see something really pathetic about top eng. school campaigns for recruiting females" may be more accurate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
For those that got the call, around what time of day did you hear from them?

Obsess much? :shock: hehe :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
WE 1: 4 years - Engineer
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

I agree.. from what I've read, you get compared to your peers. This is not really the official policy or anything, but when adcom looks at a thousand white anglo-saxon male finance apps, then I can see being attracted to the higher GPAs and GMATs because you need something to set those people apart from their peers who may have very similar backgrounds/interests, etc..

The underrepresented minorities, people from non-traditional backgrounds, females, LGBT community, etc. may get a leg-up so to speak because their experiences are unique and add to the class experience from a non-finance perspective. At a school like Columbia where finance is king, it makes sense to me that different perspectives are welcomed, even if it means that GMATs that are less than 700 are admitted. And quite honestly, GMAT and GPAs are imperfect measures of how well a student is projected to do in their first year of b-school anyways, so even with a 600+, I doubt that someone would struggle too much unless they just didn't try at all.

Congrats to all the admits! I hope to see you all there this fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
WE 1: 4 years - Engineer
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
Hey everyone, I need some advice! So I emailed an alumni yesterday late morning about his availability for a meeting and he replied back within a minute or two, in lightening speed, saying that he would be happy to meet but is available next week. I replied back and told him my availability but said that I would make myself available at his convenience if my schedule didn't fit his and since then, I have gotten no response. He's the CEO of a medium sized company in NYC and I know he's busy but how long should I wait before I email him again? My interview deadline is next friday. I'm thinking I should follow up on Wednesday morning (2 days later)...does this sound reasonable? I just don't want to be in a situation where I am scrambling to find an interviewer last minute.

Similar thing happened to me actually, maybe even worse. I had several people keep telling me that they won't be available for a while, so I kept going down the list. After 10 days, I finally found someone, and the day before the interview, she asked to find a replacement. Luckily, she worked at Yahoo and found another CBS alum and she interviewed me at our original time. If I were you, I'd do this, start emailing some back up people and try to set up interviews with them. CBS from what I see isn't too hardcore about sticking to that 2 week deadline as long as you explain the situation right away. The alum won't have a bad taste in their mouth if you end up having to cancel the interview because of their own non-responsiveness.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Sample interview question: "Is there anything else you'd like to add that wasn't reflected in your application?" I feel as though CBS's essays are so open-ended that they really do give you the chance to say what you need to say to get "who you are" on paper.... Curious to know how others responded./would respond...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM

Originally posted by globalcitizen on 13 Jan 2011, 07:41.
Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  140   141   142   143   144  ...  198