Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
VP
VP
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
Umm..haha...I've had a new job every year since college graduation (don't make fun...that's my upward career trajectory) but my longest job description is 8 "sentences" and about 135 words.

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
how long is your longest job description? Since I've been at one company since graduation mine is really long so I think that makes it look worse

Ok, my post-college one is around 175-180. So that's not terrible I guess, since they will only have to read one post college job.

I also had 4 college internships (which CBS wants to hear about for some stupid reason) and those average about 20-30 words each.

Hey a new job every year can certainly be a positive. you have experienced much more of the business world than I have. being at one company the whole time leads to a somewhat sheltered professional life
VP
VP
Any NY Gmatclubbers heading to the "Why an MBA?" event at CBS on September 3rd?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Any NY Gmatclubbers heading to the "Why an MBA?" event at CBS on September 3rd?

Tempted..... anyone else going?

Edit: Registered... but still not sure if gonna go or not....
VP
VP
Likewise, I will have submitted my application at that point, but I'm registering for it as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
are u gonna make breaks or seperate the bullets in any way?

I don't want to make a paragraph narrative. I like my resume.

That happened to me. Not to worry. You're fine. I'm not sure how it comes out on their end, but it's of no significance because it works out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey guys,

A quick tip for when you're pasting your essays into the Columbia app. When you save your word doc as a text file make sure to check the box that says "allow character substitution". I just pasted in my essays and there was a bunch of weird crap, questions marks and stuff anywhere I had certain punctuation. When I resaved my word doc as a text file and checked that box then repasted my essay, the punctuation came out fine. Not sure if this post makes any sense... but I just wanted to give you guys that info.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey guys,

A quick tip for when you're pasting your essays into the Columbia app. When you save your word doc as a text file make sure to check the box that says "allow character substitution". I just pasted in my essays and there was a bunch of weird crap, questions marks and stuff anywhere I had certain punctuation. When I resaved my word doc as a text file and checked that box then repasted my essay, the punctuation came out fine. Not sure if this post makes any sense... but I just wanted to give you guys that info.

Thanks for sharing this. Are you ready to submit now? I am stuck at the essays now. My essay 2 & 3 look very blend.
Current Student
Send PM
sng wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing this. Are you ready to submit now? I am stuck at the essays now. My essay 2 & 3 look very blend.

My application is complete and ready to submit, I'm just waiting on my reccomenders. Both plan to submit this weekend or Monday, so I plan to submit my app Monday or Tuesday.
VP
VP
I'm very jealous! It's looking highly unlikely that I will be able to submit by September 1st. I hate my draft version of essay 3 and apparently I need to make my goals essay a bit more fun. :?

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
My application is complete and ready to submit, I'm just waiting on my reccomenders. Both plan to submit this weekend or Monday, so I plan to submit my app Monday or Tuesday.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey Solaris make sure you take a look at that tip above on pasting essays. It may be obvious to some but it wasn't to me. When I looked at my printout and instead of "Columbia's" it said something like "Columia#*??s" it sucked. haha

btw, my essay 1 is actually pretty boring to. But, I feel like it hits some key points on why cbs is good for me and my goals and what makes it unique. my essay 2 and 3 are more interesting so if they can suffer through 1 hopefully some better reading will follow!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
I'm very jealous! It's looking highly unlikely that I will be able to submit by September 1st. I hate my draft version of essay 3 and apparently I need to make my goals essay a bit more fun. :?

Eh... I dunno... how can you make the goal essay fun?
750 words all packed in with serious stuff, not enough space to show wits/humors.

Almost done with Essay 1 with changes after first review... gonna go for a 2nd review next week.
I made my essay 2 a fun essay to read, though.
Essay 3, my first draft turned out to be a setback, not a failure... so back to the drawing board for a true failure!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Congrats solaris1.

I just started my application. I had several part-time jobs while in college and I plan to list them in the employment history section of the application. However, I find it difficult to define the salary of a part-time job. When I tried to fill in “$20/hour,” I got an error message that the salary must be numeric only, but I am not sure how to calculate to give an accurate number for the annual salary. Does anyone have the same problem?
Current Student
Send PM
mashi wrote:
Congrats solaris1.

I just started my application. I had several part-time jobs while in college and I plan to list them in the employment history section of the application. However, I find it difficult to define the salary of a part-time job. When I tried to fill in “$20/hour,” I got an error message that the salary must be numeric only, but I am not sure how to calculate to give an accurate number for the annual salary. Does anyone have the same problem?

I had the exact same problem. It was very frustrating. I had a couple hourly internships and a couple unpaid ones. Unpaid was easy I just put zero but the hourly ones were tough. They will not let you save without some kind of number (and numbers only!) in that field. So, what I wound up having to do was estimate the total I made there and enter that. For example if I had a 12 week internship working 10 hours a week and getting $10 an hour I put 1,200 in that slot. Honestly, I don't think it matters how you handle it though. They don't care about your pay in college jobs. Its dumb that's even a required field.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Perhaps you can use your optional essay to explain anything that isn't clear by the online form. That's what I plan to do.

None of us submitted yet? I thought we'd have a few by now including me. :-D I plan to go to 9/3 information session. Hope to meet some of you there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I'm planning to go to the one 9/10 in boston.
VP
VP
mashi wrote:
Congrats solaris1.

Why thank you. :) But what for?

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
They will not let you save without some kind of number (and numbers only!) in that field. So, what I wound up having to do was estimate the total I made there and enter that. For example if I had a 12 week internship working 10 hours a week and getting $10 an hour I put 1,200 in that slot.

I just put in 8 in the "Salary" box and added a little note under "Reason for Leaving" saying that the salary number was in USD per hour. Yes, 8 bucks an hour. And no I wasn't flipping burgers. :P

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey Solaris make sure you take a look at that tip above on pasting essays. It may be obvious to some but it wasn't to me. When I looked at my printout and instead of "Columbia's" it said something like "Columia#*??s" it sucked. haha
btw, my essay 1 is actually pretty boring to. But, I feel like it hits some key points on why cbs is good for me and my goals and what makes it unique. my essay 2 and 3 are more interesting so if they can suffer through 1 hopefully some better reading will follow!

Thanks, IHateTheGMAT. I'll keep an eye out for anything funky. I don't use Word though and I'm saving my drafts on Google Docs and converting them to text before pasting them in the boxes. But appreciate the heads up!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  59