Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
asimov wrote:
cxue wrote:
Thanks!! I noticed that some major consulting companies (like Mckinsey) does not actively recruit on UCLA campus. I guess that's where the doubt started. Of course I would prefer the California air. (Durham is wonderful too. I actually already lived in the region for almost 3 years.) But MBA is such a signifnicant investment that I really want to get the most out of it. Thanks for your advice!!

Fuqua's placement in consulting is better than UCLA, no doubt. But if you want to work in California, UCLA would be a better choice. No one out of the 3 classes (2011-2013) I know got California offices. BCG straight up told a closed-listed interviewee to not drop for the San Francisco office if he wants a job. He ended up with an offer to another BCG office. The California and NYC offices are the most competitive offices to get into. To get in, you need alumni in high enough positions to pull for the school. Kinda like a chicken and egg problem. Since, we are an young school in the East Coast, our consulting alumni network isn't that strong in the West Coast. With that said, Fuqua places especially well into the Southern offices, and reasonably well into other East Coast offices (including NYC).

I actually know someone who graduated last year and is at Bain or BCG in LA. It might be harder to get the office immediately, but definitely should be possible to transfer after a year or two.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
asimov wrote:
cxue wrote:
Thanks!! I noticed that some major consulting companies (like Mckinsey) does not actively recruit on UCLA campus. I guess that's where the doubt started. Of course I would prefer the California air. (Durham is wonderful too. I actually already lived in the region for almost 3 years.) But MBA is such a signifnicant investment that I really want to get the most out of it. Thanks for your advice!!

Fuqua's placement in consulting is better than UCLA, no doubt. But if you want to work in California, UCLA would be a better choice. No one out of the 3 classes (2011-2013) I know got California offices. BCG straight up told a closed-listed interviewee to not drop for the San Francisco office if he wants a job. He ended up with an offer to another BCG office. The California and NYC offices are the most competitive offices to get into. To get in, you need alumni in high enough positions to pull for the school. Kinda like a chicken and egg problem. Since, we are an young school in the East Coast, our consulting alumni network isn't that strong in the West Coast. With that said, Fuqua places especially well into the Southern offices, and reasonably well into other East Coast offices (including NYC).

I actually know someone who graduated last year and is at Bain or BCG in LA. It might be harder to get the office immediately, but definitely should be possible to transfer after a year or two.

Thanks all for the advices. Still deciding, but your comments help a lot to see the reality. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
asimov wrote:
cxue wrote:

Where there's a will there's a way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT Date: 01-13-2010
Send PM
How does Ross compare to Fuqua in this regard? Deciding between the two, and am in this same boat of trying to get into consulting back in the West Coast (SF, hopefully). Sounds like it could be quite difficult to get back here straight out of school.

rgupta83 wrote:
asimov wrote:
cxue wrote:

Where there's a will there's a way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Anyone knows whether we should be applying for J-1 or F-1 visa?
VP
VP
Send PM
happyface wrote:
Anyone knows whether we should be applying for J-1 or F-1 visa?
You should ask the school for this. I think international students apply for F-1. J-1 is for studying aboard programs, not for studying in the US for full-time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
thundering wrote:
How does Ross compare to Fuqua in this regard? Deciding between the two, and am in this same boat of trying to get into consulting back in the West Coast (SF, hopefully). Sounds like it could be quite difficult to get back here straight out of school.

I do not know much about Ross, but I would look at their hiring reports. In terms of specific offices, unless the school is based in that region getting out to that region will be the same from any school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
curious if anyone that applied for the CASE Social Sector Scholarship has been contacted to interview for the program? if so, big congrats!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hope to see everyone at Blue Devil Weekend today!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Hope I am at the right place for my question. Can someone please shed some lights on the Cross-Continenet program? Is it consider a part-time/accelerated program? What type of students are Duke looking for for this program?

I am just casually browsing through the website right now and I found some info regarding the program, but don't recall seeing it being discuss much on here and various GMAT sites. Can anyone give me some pointers on this?

I am looking to do a PT program and the Cross-Continent format seems to be somewhat less demanding in terms of length and actual class time (16 months, 6 In-person session at the campus at Durham), and the GMAT avg. is definitely not as high (mid. 80% ranges from 540 - 720).

Thanks for the help, and congrats to all of the admits!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
CCMBA is a part-time MBA program. The key differentiator is that you attend 6 intensive academic sessions in classrooms across the world.

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I wasn't sure was that because I don't see it being ranked at various PT MBA ranking. I thought the program is considered as Online or some other form of MBA.

Is it competitive to get into? Is the program cater more to international students over US applicants? Is there any key differences between Cross Continent MBA vs FT and EMBA at Duke?

Sorry for all of the questions... as I have mentioned, there just isn't much available info on this that I've came across
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Sorry, I'm not farmiliar with the program. If you are interested, feel free to call the program office, I'm sure they will be happy to answer some of your questions.

Just to provide a different perspective on the program, here's an outside article on CCMBA: https://www.businessbecause.com/news/Exe ... -mba-81410

Thanks for the article! I'll definitely give the program office a call/email some time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.56
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
hello, everyone, I am a waitlist in R2 of Duke who was put into R3 for interview. I am not suire my chance to get in R3. Is there any international students ever enrolled in R3?
VP
VP
Send PM
linmeimei wrote:
hello, everyone, I am a waitlist in R2 of Duke who was put into R3 for interview. I am not suire my chance to get in R3. Is there any international students ever enrolled in R3?
From your information, it appears you are chinese. I think you will find the Chinese version of GMATClub more helpful with answering these types of question. https://forum.chasedream.com/

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
I'm in the same boat. I applied in R2, got waitlisted, asked to interview, interviewed in RD3 and awaiting the May 4th decision.

I've heard that if you are waitlisted and then invited to the interview, the interview matters quite a bit. I think it's still an uphill battle though.

Can anyone else shed light on the topic?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
smk636 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I applied in R2, got waitlisted, asked to interview, interviewed in RD3 and awaiting the May 4th decision.

I've heard that if you are waitlisted and then invited to the interview, the interview matters quite a bit. I think it's still an uphill battle though.

Can anyone else shed light on the topic?

It's always an uphill battle when you get waitlisted, whether it is before or after the interview. The good thing about being invited to interview after getting waitlisted is that you are more aware of where you stand, so you will more likely be a lot more prepared to address your weaknesses.

As far as your chances are concerned, all I can say is that R3 is an enigma. It really depends on how the class is shaping up after the first two rounds. Plenty of qualified candidates are not accepted in R3, so you better hope that admitted applicants, who share a similar background, decide not to pay the deposit on the May 1st deposit deadline.

Good luck!
VP
VP
Send PM
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qU7NnUtD4[/youtube]
This is how we roll at Fuqua.

Fuqua Idol performing the class song, Dynamite, as a second year send off sends the 500+ crowd wild.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts