Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
applicant1 wrote:
I applied to the Second Round and have interviewed. The Notification date is set at march 10th. Does anybody know if Duke ever tells applicants their decision before the notification date? Or is it always on the notification date? Is it by phone or email?

In R1, there was no advance notice, there was an email on the decision date that said to check status online. I would think R2 will be the same.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
LeftOut wrote:
Jerz wrote:
applicant1 wrote:
I applied to the Second Round and have interviewed. The Notification date is set at march 10th. Does anybody know if Duke ever tells applicants their decision before the notification date? Or is it always on the notification date? Is it by phone or email?

In R1, there was no advance notice, there was an email on the decision date that said to check status online. I would think R2 will be the same.

I believe the R1 status change email actually came a day early.

You're right, I got my dates mixed up. It was a day early.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2011
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Atlantic wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M

I think R3 is more fairly evaluated in schools with a lower yield (like Duke).
After they have made their R2 offers they must be a lot less sure of class size and profile than at schools with the >90% yields. To get the class sized and in correct demographics and profile i'm sure they do utilize R3.

Anyway, Duke don't have a rep for discriminating against re-applicants so i don't think there is much to lose by firing in a R3 application? Anyway, best of luck

I disagree - it's not a question of a high or low yield, but rather how consistent the yield is from year to year. If for the past 5 years your yield has consistently been 50-55%, you'd know that you should admit between 1.8x-2x your desired class size, and then manage any slight variation in yield through the waitlist. Specifically at Duke, the deposits for R1 and R2 admits are due before the R3 decision date, so they will have almost no uncertainty over class size when deciding on R3.

That said, your chances of getting admitted if you don't apply are 0, so you have a slightly better chance if you do apply in R3. But you should realize that your chances aren't as good as with the earlier rounds.

Hadn't thought of that, great point!

That said, surely the consistency that matters is not the 'top level' but that of the section of applicants in which you sit in (i.e. Finance or International, etc.) As the numbers get smaller, the consistency will drop off?

I'd love to know your thoughts on what the loan availability is going to do to yields at any schools and the implications for R3. (I applied R2, its of no direct relevance, its just that since applying I really can't find work as interesting!)
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
As of now, the official admit group on Facebook has close to 200 numbers. I know this is much less than the number of actual admits, but just to give an idea.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Atlantic wrote:
I think R3 is more fairly evaluated in schools with a lower yield (like Duke).

I disagree - it's not a question of a high or low yield, but rather how consistent the yield is from year to year.

I agree.

Someone on here mentioned that a year or two ago Duke didn't even have a third round? Their yield was high enough from the first two to fill the entire class.

RF
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, Duke
 Q47  V35
Send PM
going to Duke for interview tomorrow... nervous!

i guess it was answered before, but cab is the best way from airport to Duke campus if i dun have car right? do they accept credit cards?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I'll be going to Duke in 2 weeks to interview, and was wondering which would be cheaper renting a car or taking a cab to and from the airport. The car rental would run me about $100.00 (I fly in the day b/f the interview and leave that night).
thanks,
SP
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
I'll be going to Duke in 2 weeks to interview, and was wondering which would be cheaper renting a car or taking a cab to and from the airport. The car rental would run me about $100.00 (I fly in the day b/f the interview and leave that night).
thanks,
SP

It might be same either way.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
thanks,
SP

It might be same either way.

thanks I guess I'll keep the rental car.

Also any good (cheap) restaurant recommendations?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
thanks,
SP

I rented a car for two days ($120) and it was nice because it gave me a chance to check out the area.

It's not a short trip from the airport to campus, I think people said it's about $40 (not including tip).

RF
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
thanks,
SP

I rented a car for two days ($120) and it was nice because it gave me a chance to check out the area.

It's not a short trip from the airport to campus, I think people said it's about $40 (not including tip).

RF

Thanks refurb. I think the best option is to keep the car reservation
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Skitalets wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Also any good (cheap) restaurant recommendations?

Hard to go wrong with anything on Ninth St, and the prices are usually pretty good. I am partial to Chubby's Tacos.

anything with the name chubby sounds good to me :lol:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, Duke
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Also, the tour comes with a quick box lunch from the cafeteria. For other food, we basically never left Breeden Hall, and it didn't look like there were restaurants near by. You might need to ask students for directions and recommendations if you were to eat outside.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Has any international applicant heard anything from Duke? Any interview invites?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey woncosmo, I got an invite Jan. 22 but found it about a week late because it was caught in my spam filter.
I am a US applicant but currently live abroad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
topa wrote:
RonONeal wrote:
Hey woncosmo, I got an invite Jan. 22 but found it about a week late because it was caught in my spam filter.
I am a US applicant but currently live abroad.

OMG! A million Thank You!s

I just searched my Spam and sure enough there was my Fuqua Interview invite.

woncosmo,
I'm an international applicant from India.

I found mine in the spam as well... Btw topa when do u have your interview and where?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  50