Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
any help!!! [#permalink]
Hey guys,
sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I was really busy with the school here, but if you folks have any questions just let me know. I can either try to answer or connect you to someone who can.
To whoever applying, come visit the school if you can. I sold myself to Goizueta after coming visit and attending the Welcome Weekend, and I never regret about my decision. Really love everything here!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darren, can you give a rundown on how your first semester has been. Highs, lows, internship recruiting, classes, the "community"...any information would be great.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
quick reply [#permalink]
I'll be quick as it is my final week. Will get back to this topic later.
The work load is reasonably heavy with some peak periods. Learned a lot of interesting things. The core professors are terrific and really really care of what and how you learn. They make themselves available for you (my marketing professor hangs in school until like 10PM to discuss with students)
The community is the best. That was the reason I chose Emory, and I wasn't wrong. This is something very hard to prove or say. You just feel it the way it is. Sometimes I'm sitting in the commons, look at the people and feeling happy :-D :oops: .
There were some high profile speakers though out the semester. Just too many that you can not attend all of them (and believe me, once the school starts, you have to choose between going to a speech and sleeping :D. But I really enjoyed when CFO and CMO of Delta came to tell how the company went out of bankruptcy. very interesting, details and emotional).
The internship search is okie. Well, too early to say something. A lot of companies came to recruit on campus. some of my friends got internships already (I haven't). but Emory has the rate of 100% internship placement for 4 year in a row, and I hope it's the same for this year. Career center is very helpful though.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just got the call boys and girls. I'M IN!!!!!!! With a scholarship. WOOOO HOOOOOO!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome news Emoryhopeful....:) I know how much you love Emory- so I guess you are matriculating there? :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
I just got the call boys and girls. I'M IN!!!!!!! With a scholarship. WOOOO HOOOOOO!!

Congrats!!! --your sniper approach worked finally!

You deserve this..

cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations emoryhopeful! How is the scholarship? Is it substantial or average? because i heard Emory is quite generous with its scholarships.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:

Warmest congrats!

I know how much you wanted it. Go out and have a drink, you deserve it!
Would you mind sharing with us your scholarship offer?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats emoryhopeful, I guess you dont even have to debate whether to go there and accept the scholarship.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
All, I definitely will be matriculating, as Emory is the only school I applied to. As far as the scholarship goes, its substantial to me. Its 25k per year. With the tuition cost at approximately 39k per year, that's around a 65% scholarship. And just for all of those wondering, there were significant things to overcome in this application process for me, and still come out with a scholarship. Yes, I had an amazing GMAT score of 760, and good, solid work experience that will be approaching 4 years at matriculation. Also, I think I did very well on my essays, showing all sides of my application. But, my undergrad and the start to my career were GLARING holes. It took me 6 years to graduate, because of failed classes, yes, failed. Then I didn't find a professional job for over a year out of school. Anyways, the pressure is off, the holidays will be great, and I now only need to worry about my marriage in January. Please, anyone, I am very willing to talk about my experiences and any advice I could possibly give. Thanks to everyone for their help and well wishes.

As Oz so eloquently stated in a PM, "emory hopeful no more"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you could, please Chronicle your application journey ( ala Rippers long post )

It can be added to WIKI and would benefit future/current applicants

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Now that you are in you should create your member profile.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:

Congrats!!!! Told you.......
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is lovely news! congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats..great to hear that :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful is now emoryadmit!!!! Congratulations - I am so happy for you, particularly since we all know that this was your dream school. That is just fantastic!!!
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is also posted in my member profile, but I figured it should also go here.

Inspired by RiverRipper's Story

Emoryhopeful's MBA Journey

Here I am, on cloud nine, after finding out this morning that I am in at the only school that truly piqued my interest, Emory. Not only have I gotten a phone call, but also an e-mail confirming my admit along with a scholarship. Its truly been a roundabout path to end up at the MBA destination.

Honestly, the idea of an MBA was tossed around a few times between myself and others during undergrad. But, that was only because we were naive and thought, man with a chemical engineering degree and an MBA we automatically make tons of money. Yet, we had no idea what an MBA was. Hell, we didn't even know what a chemical engineer did at the time.

What really made me strongly consider the possibilites of an MBA is two fold. One, a couple of these same guys that I had talked with in undergrad are now recent grads of both Harvard and Cornell MBA's respectively. They let me know that their experiences have been nothing short of amazing, and that they thought I would be a great fit. The second, more glaring reason, was my current job function. I work for a small engineering staffing agency that, quite frankly, doesn't have a lot of mobility as far as moving up in the company. The workload continues to increase, but the salary and management opportunities do not. Also, I saw a glaring need in the staffing industry. Most of the companies are started by people who have done the work, i.e. engineers, but have zero business savvy. Many of the smaller staffing companies are missing on huge profits just because of poor business sense. I get the feeling that many companies have good ideas, and can survive in the market, but with great leadership and a strong business strategy, they could thrive. Hence, the MBA.

This really only became a possible realization 6 months ago. I had not done any research other than asking my friends how they did on the GMAT, thinking I could get a comparative score. At the time, I didn't even know what it meant as far as admissions was concerned. Having just recently moved to Atlanta, and being recently engaged, I didn't want to leave the Atlanta area. So, I pegged the best school in the area, Emory. Come to find out, its nationally ranked, and a Great school, especially if I want to find work in the southeast after graduation. So, I see their averages, 3.4 gpa, 690 GMAT. I know my gpa is awful, so I need to kill the GMAT, and even then, I thought Emory was a reach.

Now, from my experiences in undergrad, I know I'm lazy and terrible when I feel no pressure regarding tests. Honestly, just about every class with any difficulty, I failed the first test, then needed to get an A on the final to pass the class. So, testing under pressure was my forte. Needless to say, I hadn't joined the GMATClub yet, so I bought the Kaplan Premiere program and Kaplan 800. I read through them slowly but surely. I think these really helped refresh my memory on many of the important concepts. Then, I found GMATClub and started to really challenge myself with understanding my weaknesses. Anyways, test day comes and I am so psyched. I feel like I'm competing in the biggest soccer match of my career, or the biggest race I've ever run. I killed it with a 760 and my whole mindset changed. I am good enough.

In undergrad, I was immature and headstrong. That cost me, A LOT. I took 6 years to graduate after failing 2 classes, that were in my major. The biggest problem, looking back, wasn't the material, it never stumped me, but I completely disagreed with how the professors went about their business. And I let them know it. Let's just say, that's a bad idea. It killed my gpa and killed my job opportunities right out of college. I scrounged for a year and a half as a bartender, making ends meet. But, serious doubts come into your mind. Why do I continue to try and find a job in engineering, why did I get that degree. I'm smart and motivated, why am I a failure. Why won't anyone just give me a damn chance. I am a kick ass worker.

Guess what. I stuck with it. Landed my engineering job. Found my future wife. Made the move to Atlanta, and the move into business development. I am determined to prove to anyone that gives me a chance that "I am good enough". Thank you Emory, you will not regret your decision. This is my chance at redemption, my chance to erase the immaturity I once showed. For anyone who has failed, no matter what the reason, get back up. Believe me, success after failure is very very rewarding.

Also, just an additional note. I've been told time and time again that I should have applied to M7 schools. And you know what, maybe I should have. But, I didn't want to go to any of them. I felt right when I was at Emory and I feel that they will only grow in respect with time. I want to be a part of what makes Emory tick, what makes it move up in the rankings. Remember don't just pick a school because of rankings, pick a school because that's where you want to be.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11