Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
Steel, I went for MIT too but as an engineer I think my chances are much worse than if I had a different background. That said Kellogg will definitely round out my background more but my wife loves Boston and would take it over Chicago.

Your reason for applying to HBS, the what if I had applied thought is a pretty common reason I have heard for a lot of folks. I had the opposite reaction, growing up in the Boston area I was completely turned off by the image of HBS. My fear was applying, after my early admit to Kellogg a lot of people were telling me to, and then getting in. If I went and it was everything I imagined and completely hated it, then i would be so mad at myself for giving in....if I got in and didnt go then it would be the what if thought. After reading the HBS thread on BW, if those people end up there I think I made the right choice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
WELCOME Steel! It's good to see our subtle (or not-so-subtle) hints of "the other site" got some nice people over.

The motto of this site, "Be Nice". Just do that and be helpful and you'll fit right in!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
The interview is generally conversational?
Because i have a few anecdotes which i sometimes use in interviews which are slightly humourous, and shows a knowledge of cultural diversity

1) The first time i went to Japan and DJ'd at a club.
2) The first trip to India (business related) and understanding what 'Bangalore-Time' actually meant.

Would these be appropriate in a Kellogg style interview?
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Steel, I went for MIT too but as an engineer I think my chances are much worse than if I had a different background. That said Kellogg will definitely round out my background more but my wife loves Boston and would take it over Chicago.

Your reason for applying to HBS, the what if I had applied thought is a pretty common reason I have heard for a lot of folks. I had the opposite reaction, growing up in the Boston area I was completely turned off by the image of HBS. My fear was applying, after my early admit to Kellogg a lot of people were telling me to, and then getting in. If I went and it was everything I imagined and completely hated it, then i would be so mad at myself for giving in....if I got in and didnt go then it would be the what if thought. After reading the HBS thread on BW, if those people end up there I think I made the right choice.

Thanks Kryzak and Riverripper! I appreciate the welcome.

Riverripper - you have pretty much written in words my exact same angst in applying to Harvard. I justified it to myself by saying that I really hadn't done enough research or talked to enough people and thus would apply and worry about the confirming/denying the image later. We'll see - but I think I could turn down Harvard should I get that vibe upon doing my due diligence (should I be fortunate to get to that point).

Alas, you have to listen to your wife - she does have to live through your two years at B-school. From what it sounds like - both Kellogg and MIT have great JV/SO communities.

Also, in an irony befitting the b-school application process, my K-Bud called me about an hour ago (only a few hours after finding out on these boards that there was such a thing) and we had a nice 30 minute conversation (I'm currently snowed in at my house). I don't know how the adcom matches people - but they did an amazing job matching (right down to favorite travel destinations).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Steel, for me, the HBS decision was Stanford. I knew the admit rate was very low, but I can't live with the "what if" if I didn't apply. =)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Steel, for me, the HBS decision was Stanford. I knew the admit rate was very low, but I can't live with the "what if" if I didn't apply. =)

Stanford is the toughest school to get into and i could see doing the what if there. I thought of attempting one there R2 but decided it wasnt worth wasting $250 and another month of my sanity.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yeah, some days I regret spending so much of my blood and sweat on the Stanford app (and making my Kellogg app slip to R2), but it's definitely better than having the "what if" a few years down the road... :)
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
yeah, some days I regret spending so much of my blood and sweat on the Stanford app (and making my Kellogg app slip to R2), but it's definitely better than having the "what if" a few years down the road... :)

Yah - I decreased the blood and sweat equity by not applying to Harvard until last. Thus, I had all the stuff from before - ended up punching out the application it was was essentially a few days of work. Was a good app, but not as good as my MIT/Kellogg apps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
So....how did it go? :)

pandeyrav wrote:
guys and gals :) , I have my K interview in 4 hours. any words of advice ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
So....how did it go? :)

pandeyrav wrote:
guys and gals :) , I have my K interview in 4 hours. any words of advice ??

It went ok. But i am not very satisfied. This was my first interview in over 6 years, so i was pretty rusted. I left out several points that i should have talked about. One of the questions that the interviewer asked was how will you contribute to which i gave the standard, in class outside classroom ,clubs etc. but he was not satisfied. He wanted to know what unique thing i will do at K that others wont do or cant do or is not there already to which i got a little stumped and talked about some new club i wanted to start etc.

In the end when he walked with me to the parking he asked what other school i was applying and asked me to keep him in loop especially before my Chicago GSB interview.

Over all i would rate myself 6/10 for the interview. The interviewer took extensive notes as he wanted to report back details in the feedback and had a book titled Kellogg confidential something from which he asked questions. The questions were all from the list i compiled from accepted.com and clear admit sites. They ask questions from sections: leadership, team building, innovation, impact on student body, maturity etc etc

If anyone needs the questions i had compiled, let me know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
oh and another question that struck me as odd was the interviewer asked my GMAT and GPA and then asked whether i thought they truly represented my abilities and if i could have improved on them. He also seemed to note my GMAT prep time. That was quite strange. May be gathering info that would help them waitlist me and then have me retake the GMAT? cant think of any other reason why he would ask that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT scores seem to have come up a lot this year for various schools. Your interviewer hasnt seen your application so maybe its their way of gauging how competitive you are for the school. Dont take it as a bad sign, especially if you have an above avg score...that would only help you. My interviewer said wow when I told him I had a 740.

Kellogg is very into what are you going to do at the school and how you will fit in. I made sure to use activities and clubs that werent standard...I didnt say I want to be in the management consulting club or anything like that. I think the more knowledge you show in regards to what they offer, the better off you are.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
GMAT scores seem to have come up a lot this year for various schools. Your interviewer hasnt seen your application so maybe its their way of gauging how competitive you are for the school. Dont take it as a bad sign, especially if you have an above avg score...that would only help you. My interviewer said wow when I told him I had a 740.

Kellogg is very into what are you going to do at the school and how you will fit in. I made sure to use activities and clubs that werent standard...I didnt say I want to be in the management consulting club or anything like that. I think the more knowledge you show in regards to what they offer, the better off you are.

true. i got that impression too. But clubs and course and seminars etc did not seem to satisfy him. May be he was looking for something very specific which i did not have. Although when i talked about my interest in emerging markets and my plans to build a deeper relationship with companies from these markets, he noted it and moved on. May be it satisfied him partially.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
pandeyrav, was this an alumni interview or an adcom one on-campus?

good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

good luck.

This was an alumni interview. He matriculated JD-MBA in 2005.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
If anyone needs the questions i had compiled, let me know.

That woud definitely be helpful. Maybe you can post it in the board, or compile it with Rhyme's guide? Thank you for suggesting!
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

good luck.

This was an alumni interview. He matriculated JD-MBA in 2005.

I thought I bombed my interview and I ended up getting in - so either the interview didn't matter that much or they were looking for things that I wasn't using to gauge a "good" interview. The lesson is that you have no idea what things they are looking to put on that sheet (my interviewer never seemed satisfied and kept digging... I think its just the Kellogg methodology for interviews).

Regardless, I wouldn't be too bummed if I were you. Your interview sheet is only one piece of paper in your file and for all you know that sheet looks great.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  52   53   54   55   56  ...  100