Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
I use gmail
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Question guys:

For many Sloan applicants, Ross has historically been a backup school. Club literally had a bloodbath in regards to Sloan. Assuming club represents higher end of the Sloan applicant pool, the situation in the general population would be worse. Many of these will now apply to Ross in R2 deadline 4th Jan.

Ross results will be out on 15th. Based on a general sense of the R2 profiles, do you think the adcoms will put a lot of people on w/l?
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Question guys:

For many Sloan applicants, Ross has historically been a backup school. Club literally had a bloodbath in regards to Sloan. Assuming club represents higher end of the Sloan applicant pool, the situation in the general population would be worse. Many of these will now apply to Ross in R2 deadline 4th Jan.

Ross results will be out on 15th. Based on a general sense of the R2 profiles, do you think the adcoms will put a lot of people on w/l?

I don't think it will have that big an impact. There are two weekends between the 4th and the 15th, which leaves only 5 or 6 business days from the time the R2 apps arrive before the R1 decisions go out.

If you look earlier in this thread, Ross admitted that it took close to two weeks for the apps to be assembled and the first few invites to go out. So my guess would be, the Ross adcoms might have a chance to glance at what the R2 pool looks like, but not closely enough to say "This pool is much better, put 25% of those R1 admits on the waitlist!!".

Consider the fact that the number of R2 apps is almost double the R1s, it makes the scenario even more unlikely.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Question guys:

That would suck if that were the case. The R2 deadline is 1/2/08, which gives the admissions committee a little less than 2 weeks to paint a rough picture of the R2 profiles. It would really stink if potential R1 admits were rejected or put on the WL due to the strength of the R2 applications. You think they'd have enough time to do that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Guys, but not everyone waits till the last day of the deadline, right.. So let's say 25% of the Sloan rejects will apply earlier than the 4th..
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Guys, but not everyone waits till the last day of the deadline, right.. So let's say 25% of the Sloan rejects will apply earlier than the 4th..

You're right, but do the applications get assembled or even looked at before that? Plus, the school is practically shutdown next week until the 4th of Jan.

I'm not saying they won't look, but I don't think that they have enough time to look at all the apps and get a sense of the "overall feel" of the R2 pool. At least not enough of a feel to make a major decision on R1 decisions.

Also, do you think they'll finish making decisions on all the R1 apps before Xmas? My guess is they'll still be fine tuning the R1 list until the 9th of Jan.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
What's the max word limit for this essay?

Quote:
4) Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you YihWei!
Current Student
Send PM
Yihwei must be into the sauce already!! (I know I am!)

Too bad you can't include http links in your essays!!

At this point I just want to get into the same school as Yihwei!!

:beer :drunk :beer :drunk :beer :drunk :beer :drunk

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
Thank you YihWei!

You are very welcome! Good luck with those essays.

refurb wrote:
Yihwei must be into the sauce already!! (I know I am!)

LOL, I wish I were! I guess I'm just a weirdo :lol:

BTW, this smiley cracks me up: :drunk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
For the 'Alternate career-Multidisciplinary problems' essay, shud I write about why I did not take up that alternate career or why I won't be taking that career after MBA?

This is how I structured my essay so far.

1.How I got influenced towards that career

2.What I did after getting influenced by that career

3.What I wud do if I go to that career instead of pursing the goals mentioned in Essay #1.

4.How this alternate career is going to solve multidisciplinary problems such as economic,political and social issues in my country.

Also pls suggest whether this is a good approach?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
For my alternate career essay, I wrote about being a professional chef. I work (and want to continue to work post-MBA) in the food industry and wanted to tie everything together with my passion for food. In the essay, I spoke about how different aspects of cooking translates into creativity, resourcefulness, and leadership in the business world (and at Ross). Whatever you choose, make sure you can tie it back into your theme/past or at least make sure it's not a huge leap. It really makes your application flow well when you have reoccurring themes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
For my alternate career essay, I wrote about being a professional chef. I work (and want to continue to work post-MBA) in the food industry and wanted to tie everything together with my passion for food. In the essay, I spoke about how different aspects of cooking translates into creativity, resourcefulness, and leadership in the business world (and at Ross). Whatever you choose, make sure you can tie it back into your theme/past or at least make sure it's not a huge leap. It really makes your application flow well when you have reoccurring themes.

That was a really good approach. I took a totally different angle, and to be honest, I think I hurt my overall application. I think its good you showed a true passion for what you do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:

I started a non-profit school during my undergrad and worked in it for a while.I led the effort,taught kids,collected donations,organized health camps for them etc.

My post MBA goal is MC.How do I make the connection? This essay is a tricky one.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
cpgmba wrote:

I started a non-profit school during my undergrad and worked in it for a while.I led the effort,taught kids,collected donations,organized health camps for them etc.

My post MBA goal is MC.How do I make the connection? This essay is a tricky one.

I don't think there needs to be any connection. My alternate profession has nothing to do with my career goals or my extracurricular activities. I simply wrote about something that I like to do in my personal life. FWIW, I still received an interview invite (despite or because of the essay...). I think they are just trying to learn a little bit more about you as a person.
Current Student
Send PM
fall09 wrote:

The connection is in the skills.

From my perspective, the ideal essay would do the following:

1. Describe something you are passionate about.
2. Describe skills you've acquired through your passion.
3. Show how these skills can translate to solving "multi-disciplinary problems"

Keep the skills very broad and the connect is a lot easier. Skills such as patience, the ability to motivate others, organizational skills, interpersonal skills, etc....

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Social responsibility (green business)
Schools:Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Just wanted to add in my voice to the conversation...

27 F, 770 GMAT, 3.76 GPA, top 20 school, entertainment (performer) background 7 yrs entrepreneurial WE

Interviewed at super interview saturday. Waiting patiently for the call... *fingers crossed*
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  66