Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Gunner alert.

Had a hilarious incident today at the Stanford GSB info session. It was like something from candid camera. Some dude raised his hand and introduced himself to the adcom lady after the powerpoint presentation: "Hi there! Joe Blow [making that up, don't remember his name], GSB class of 2011... I hope! Uh, I had a question about deferals..." and proceeded to ask whether he could, after getting in, defer for a year in the hopes of getting into a better school. "Not that you can get much better than Stanford, but... uh... you know." Follow up question: "so, say you've done this other graduate program, but they haven't actually given you a diploma... I mean, I don't know why, I did all the classes. How does that look?"

Everyone in the room rolled their eyes in disbelief. It was truly classic. I hope that guy makes it in, just to make things interesting.

Any other folks here at that presentation?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
Everyone in the room rolled their eyes in disbelief. It was truly classic. I hope that guy makes it in, just to make things interesting.

Any other folks here at that presentation?

OUCH! If I were the adcom lady, I would have to stop myself from laughing my a** off. :P

I'm so glad no one asked me that at the Haas lunch the other day, hahaha :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Story above sounds almost too good to be true!

In other news, I just submitted my GSB application. All my recommenders have been in for a week. Let the games begin, and good luck to everyone else!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Send PM
i am in for stanford

but really struggling for ideas on q1 .

are they wanting values?
career goals?
other stuff such as family?
hobby?

or all of the above?

S
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Send PM
btw

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
sset009 wrote:
i am in for stanford

are they wanting values?
career goals?
hobby?

or all of the above?

S

you'll get it here https://www.stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/2008/06/

yes its about ur values and what drives you. this is one essay I'd like to keep revisiting over the years irrespective of my stanford outcome.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[quote][/quote]

i'd also think about it the topic by not even considering that it's for b-school. your answer should be fundamental to you - as you move through life, what's that one thing about you that stays the same and motivates you?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
Story above sounds almost too good to be true!

In other news, I just submitted my GSB application. All my recommenders have been in for a week. Let the games begin, and good luck to everyone else!

msdayy86, you have got some seriously helpful and motivated recommenders to have submitted your recos so early, I am still waiting on 2 of my recs. best of luck.
sentiment wrote:
sset009 wrote:
i am in for stanford

are they wanting values?
career goals?
hobby?

or all of the above?

S

you'll get it here https://www.stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/2008/06/

yes its about ur values and what drives you. this is one essay I'd like to keep revisiting over the years irrespective of my stanford outcome.

I would like to add that you can also mention about one transformational experience and how that clarified the importance of some values over others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Additionally, the resources and career opportunities out of the big S are unparalleled. Other schools may pitch entrepeneurship as some sort of buzz word, but I don't think that there is any other school in the world where VCs will come to campus to wine and dine students and look for their next big idea to fund.

glad you found Stanford to be as exciting as I found it when I visited last year. :)

I would like to make one small correction (sorry terry12, I had to speak up :P). Stanford is not the *only* school that VCs come on campus to do events like you described. They actively participate in classes, conferences, competitions, and social events on the Haas campus too. Maybe not at as high of a level as Stanford (due to their brand and proximity), but it's definitely not shabby either.

Otherwise, I agree with all the other things you said about Stanford. It's a wonderful school, and I was puzzled as to why you didn't apply there earlier. :wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
By the way, I don't think this is on the website yet.

Class of 2010 profile:

Applications Received: 6575
New Students: 370
Women: 36%
International: 34%
US Minority: 24%

Years of Work Experience:
Range: 0-11
Median: 3.9

GMAT scores:
Range: 530-790
Median: 730

Schools & Countries
U.S. Institutions represented: 77
Non-U.S. Institutions: 71
Countries: 53

2 things really stood out to me:

A) The # of U.S. Institutions represented. There goes the myth that you have to go to a U.S. News Top 20 or Top 30 ranked school to get into Stanford or HBS.

B) Assuming a 90% yield, they would have admitted 400 applicants and had a 6.08% acceptance rate LAST YEAR. Absolutely insane. This year's acceptance rate couuld realistically dip below 5%.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
I'm in for Stanford Round 1 as well!

Also, Stanford generally does not have a 90% yield... its historically been around 80%. HBS is always around 90% though. I read somewhere that around 180 people get into both H and S each year with about half choosing each. Thus 90-100 people (adding the few people who choose wharton or not going to school) rejecting HBS out of a class of 900 gives you 90% whereas the same 90-100 people rejecting Stanford gives you around 80% because of the small class size.

Who knows what happens this year though...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Assuming an 80% yield, the acceptance rate last year was 7.04%. I would assume that yields across the board were higher last year, but we will see.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
terp06 wrote:
Additionally, the resources and career opportunities out of the big S are unparalleled. Other schools may pitch entrepeneurship as some sort of buzz word, but I don't think that there is any other school in the world where VCs will come to campus to wine and dine students and look for their next big idea to fund.

glad you found Stanford to be as exciting as I found it when I visited last year. :)

I would like to make one small correction (sorry terry12, I had to speak up :P). Stanford is not the *only* school that VCs come on campus to do events like you described. They actively participate in classes, conferences, competitions, and social events on the Haas campus too. Maybe not at as high of a level as Stanford (due to their brand and proximity), but it's definitely not shabby either.

Otherwise, I agree with all the other things you said about Stanford. It's a wonderful school, and I was puzzled as to why you didn't apply there earlier. :wink:

Good point. They visit UCLA to some degree as well. However, the access to VC funding out of Stanford definitely seemed to be far higher than UCLA/Haas.

I haven't applied yet because the essays are far too difficult and the acceptance rate is scary.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
agree... 5-7% is a ridiculously low number however you look at it.

I totally agree with your post about the info session though. I went to one in NYC and it really blew me away... the focus on entrepreneurship seems unparalleled.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yeah, I was suspecting the acceptance rate would go to 6-7% this year. no wonder only terry12 got in! last year was a crazy year. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Also applying to R1... brushing up on my essays and waiting for one recommendation letter. Hope to have it all done on time... still having doubts about essay 1 though... we'll just have to wait and see!

Good luck everyone!! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the info session, terp! And c'mon, kry, you know I'm not gonna diss Haas :-D

Yeah, this place is amazing. The people are extraordinary and the resources really are terrific. We pretty routinely get emails asking something along the lines, "Firm X is looking to invest in a startup in field Y, preferably out of the GSB. If you have a relevant business plan contact them at email Z." The entrepreneurial/VC spirit here is really strong... I had no idea there were so many VC firms and startups out on Sand Hill Rd (a border of campus) and in downtown Palo Alto off University Ave. And a lot of our professors have startup/VC experience and ties. It's damn inspiring.

One other thing I wanted to note. The sense of collaboration between the various graduate schools at Stanford is remarkable. It was discussed in the information session I attended, and I kind of rolled my eyes. But it's absolutely true.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts