Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink]
BSD - Drop me a message when you pick your dates, and do the lunch program. I know folk who do that.

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
3underscore wrote:

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).

Thanks for this feedback. Given the increase in app volume, do expect waitlist conversion to be near impossible (i.e, extremely unlikely this year)? I'm trying to review my options in terms of flying out there to visit, etc.

Thanks-
RG
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
BSD,
Congrats on the interview invite! That is great news, and hopefully you can arrange for it when you are in The States. That will be a hectic, yet fun, week or so! When I visited Stern, Isser Gallogly said that they encourage applicants to interview on campus if they are invited to do so and if they have the means to do so; they take this very seriously. Of course he qualified it by saying international applicants are an exception, so I would think that when an int'l applicant does interview on campus they look very favorably upon it.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thats exactly my line of thinking too. Suddenly the trip cost doesnt look half as bad. The benefits I will get out of it, both in terms of "goodwill" generated there and experiencing my main choice schools first hand will be immense and totally worth the effort.

djhouse81 wrote:
BSD,
Congrats on the interview invite! That is great news, and hopefully you can arrange for it when you are in The States. That will be a hectic, yet fun, week or so! When I visited Stern, Isser Gallogly said that they encourage applicants to interview on campus if they are invited to do so and if they have the means to do so; they take this very seriously. Of course he qualified it by saying international applicants are an exception, so I would think that when an int'l applicant does interview on campus they look very favorably upon it.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
3underscore, will definitely catch up with you when I am there. My date is decided. I'll be there on 5th of March (although I haven't scheduled it "officially" yet, and will do so later tonight).

To others, keep your heads up. Generally waitlisting so many could only mean that NYU are concerned about yield, hoping that in a month or so, only the really serious applicants will be still interested.

3underscore wrote:
BSD - Drop me a message when you pick your dates, and do the lunch program. I know folk who do that.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hahahah .. I'll change my avatar to a scanned version of that plane ticket when I return :)

djhouse81 wrote:
I say hold on to that plane ticket stub, you might want to frame it.
Current Student
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:

To others, keep your heads up. Generally waitlisting so many could only mean that NYU are concerned about yield, hoping that in a month or so, only the really serious applicants will be still interested.

Maybe I'm still very green on this subject, but how would a waitlist impact yield?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Well imagine if Stern was your 2nd or 3rd choice school and your profile was very strong. Stern would be interested, but on the other hand they would not be sure that you'd accept if they admitted you (which in turn would lower their yield). So what would they do ? they'd put you on waitlist. This way they can still keep you interested in case your 1st and 2nd choice schools didnt work out in a months time. However, if your 1st or 2nd choice worked out then you would just accept that and withdraw your Stern application, thus, Stern's would not have to face a rejection from a candidate and their yield would remain strong. I guess the moral of the story is: "no one likes being rejected.", especially b-schools.

ryguy904 wrote:
Maybe I'm still very green on this subject, but how would a waitlist impact yield?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
3underscore, will definitely catch up with you when I am there. My date is decided. I'll be there on 5th of March (although I haven't scheduled it "officially" yet, and will do so later tonight).

3underscore wrote:

Congrats for the interview!

BTW I will be in NYC from 1st to the 5th of march, maybe we could grab a beer somewhere...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You're on !!! .. I am there on the 5th definitely, I'll see you then.
kwam wrote:

Congrats for the interview!

BTW I will be in NYC from 1st to the 5th of march, maybe we could grab a beer somewhere...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
congrats bsd!!!!
you're doing really well this app season =)

i hope i get an interview invite also :wink:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks nupur, Yours cant be too far :) Good luck.

nupurgupt wrote:
congrats bsd!!!!
you're doing really well this app season =)

i hope i get an interview invite also :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Well imagine if Stern was your 2nd or 3rd choice school and your profile was very strong. Stern would be interested, but on the other hand they would not be sure that you'd accept if they admitted you (which in turn would lower their yield). So what would they do ? they'd put you on waitlist. This way they can still keep you interested in case your 1st and 2nd choice schools didnt work out in a months time. However, if your 1st or 2nd choice worked out then you would just accept that and withdraw your Stern application, thus, Stern's would not have to face a rejection from a candidate and their yield would remain strong. I guess the moral of the story is: "no one likes being rejected.", especially b-schools.

ryguy904 wrote:

Gotcha, thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Congrats bsd ... gsb, stern ..you are on a roll ! G luck with all the interviews ..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bsd, would you mind sharing your profile?
i know it's virtually impossible to determine why schools respond so quickly to certain applicants and not to others, but i'd really like to figure it out.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
check pm
prospective mba wrote:
i know it's virtually impossible to determine why schools respond so quickly to certain applicants and not to others, but i'd really like to figure it out.

Originally posted by bsd_lover on 06 Feb 2008, 20:46.
Last edited by bsd_lover on 06 Feb 2008, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
check pm
prospective mba wrote:

i'm sorry, you mean private message?
i didn't receive any.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  26