Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Can I also - GMAT Story [#permalink]
Doing Grammar seems to be interesting read. Its written like a fiction. It engages so well like the way Da vinci code does. My schedule is to finish up the CR bible before touching this book. But out of curiosity i just peeped into it as this book got delivered today. Very nice book. Hopefully it improves my sc score and my english too. I started enjoying the gmat prep now.

After I started doing the cr bible, I notice that my cr skills are not that bad. may be mgmat questions were not that close to og questions like the power score questions are. I am doing well on all the practice questions in this book. these questions seem to be more straight forward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
Doing Grammar seems to be interesting read. Its written like a fiction. It engages so well like the way Da vinci code does. My schedule is to finish up the CR bible before touching this book. But out of curiosity i just peeped into it as this book got delivered today. Very nice book. Hopefully it improves my sc score and my english too. I started enjoying the gmat prep now.

After I started doing the cr bible, I notice that my cr skills are not that bad. may be mgmat questions were not that close to og questions like the power score questions are. I am doing well on all the practice questions in this book. these questions seem to be more straight forward.

How thick is this book? Would you recommend it for native speakers?

Thanks,
Dawglet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Its small book. The number of pages is 313. But topics are covered till 232 pages only. Could be useful to native speakers also if someone have forgotton grammar or has aversion to other grammar style books.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:

have you taken another practice test to gauge how much you have improved?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shaselai,
I took one test on 4th. I haven't made much progress on my weaknesses. Major issue being word translation problems and verbal. Should I still keep giving test every weekend?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
shaselai,
I took one test on 4th. I haven't made much progress on my weaknesses. Major issue being word translation problems and verbal. Should I still keep giving test every weekend?

Take GMATClub tests, I believe on the front page it breaks out the problems by category. Do some focused practice and goto the discussions page.

Yours truly,
Dawg
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
shaselai,

i would focus on fixing the weakness first because if you take the test again and you are still not getting the material you will get similar result. Try to work on problems that you are weak at. when you feel confident then take another practice. You dont want to keep doing practice and "hope for the best".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dawg and shaselai,
Thanks for your suggestions. i am planning to take mgmat 2 on 18th till then I will be working on my weaknesses.

I completed the weakness section of cr bible. this seems to give some trouble. i am planning to practice some lsat weakening questions to fix my weakness. need to note down here the main points on weakening questions once i am done with the work.

I enjoy being part of this gmatclub where everyone is helping each other. that helps me keep progressing in my preparation. thank you to everyone here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Points to remember in Weakening questions

1. Incomplete information
2. Improper comparison
3. Qualified conclusion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Points to remember in cause and effect reasoning

1. find an alternate cause
2. even when the cause occurs, the effect does not occur
3. effect occurs but the cause does not occur
4. stated relationship is reversed
5. statistical problem exists with the data used
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have completed the mgmat FDP guide however there are few pages, which are recommended to be memorized. I need to take a xerox of it and keep it handy for revising.

I am yet to do one more mgmat guide. I need to spend some more time with word problems. Planning work on veritas advanced word problems before i take the next mgmat test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
wow nice one...

keep updating
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Looks like my plan of taking a mgmat test on 18th might not work out.

cr- I am still reading the power score cr guide. I still have six chapters to cover. I want to complete assumption and resolve the paradox today. So that i can complete this book by this week.
sc-Next week, I need to focus on sc starting with doing grammar, manhattan gmat scs and the practice questions from gmatclub forum and og.
rc-planning to work on minimum three rcs from the thousand rc document on a daily basis. This week so far I could attempt only 3 rcs overall. my hit rate seems to 61% on the lsat 2002 test. after reading guptaji's debrief planning to focus on getting every single question right on each rc going forward. hopefully i can improve my verbal score.

For quant, need to complete the inequalities guide by mgmat and word problem guide by veritas before I take the next test.

Please let me know your suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i dont want to remember gmat memory.
----------------------------------
now itransferstudio is my new parterner
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
hey great!!keep updating us!!hope u improve!!all the best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I am having fever right now - very high gmat fever. Every single section seems to be daunting.

cr - the later chapters of powerscore cr bible are frying my brain. though i have learnt a lot, only by applying this information i will be able to retain the knowledge. just three more chapters to go.
sc - need a lot of improvement in tenses - next week is for sc-s
rc - i seem to be going down in my hit rate - planning to invest time in veritas rc guide

quant - weighted average seems to be teasing me a lot. having always scored well in math, i am not able to accept the fact that i can not do few sums without looking at the explanations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cr - still not completed powerscore bible. just one more chapter to go. i couldn't understand the underlying concept on the percentages and numbers chapter. I am making all my mistakes there. need to come back to this chapter after some more practice on this.
rc - i did only one rc in the last two days. need to focus.
sc - did few of the master gmat sc questions. tenses seem to tense me still. past perfect and present perfect are the difficult ones to identify. may be after reading 'doing grammar' or manhattan sc book this issue will go away.
quant - i am still with mgmat inequalities book. after finishing that book i want to work on the advanced word problems from veritas before i take the next practice, which has to be at least by saturday. may be i should take a day off and complete my quant goals.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts