Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 01:35 It is currently 13 May 2024, 01:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [15]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623313 [1]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [0]
Send PM
Re: Certain items—those with that hard-to-define quality called exclusivit [#permalink]
amit2k9
can you help me understand the last line of the argument...
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Certain items—those with that hard-to-define quality called exclusivit [#permalink]
Kudos
fanatico wrote:
amit2k9
can you help me understand the last line of the argument...

1.Therefore, given that a price that will prove to be right is virtually impossible for the seller to gauge in advance,
2.the seller should make sure that any error in the initial asking price is in the direction of setting the price too high.

Exclusivity means high price.

1. Means,exactly what price is high enough is difficult to be judged.

As,exact price is difficult to be judged,there will be some error in knowing the price.

2. Means, Even if there is a judgmental error,the seller should stick to some high price value,since high price maintains 'Exclusivity'.

The line mentioned in Red, is the unstated judgement,brought out in E. And hence E is more of an assumption answer choice.

Good question indeed,especially tough if one cannot grasp the argument under timed conditions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [0]
Send PM
I interpreted it in a similar way, but then i was confused with "the seller should make sure" clause...because it strikes out the difference between two approaches, treating them as two steps of an approach.

1. Look out for errors
2. If no errors then the price is set correctly
else set a higher price.

I feel the last sentence is misleading....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Send PM
I found the answer choices extremely confusing. I did understand that the argument states that it is difficult for the seller the gauge the price of a product in advance...and I did understand that the argument talks about exclusivity and that reducing the price of a product during sale is not the best strategy. But I didnt understand the very last sentence and any of the answer choices. Please help!!!!!!!1
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The argument is basically saying that for exclusive products, we can actually scare off consumers by setting the price too low. Since we don't know what the correct price is, we should err on the side of a high price.

A is simply saying that the author's recommendation (setting the price high) lacks a feature (scaring off consumers) that the alternative strategy (setting the price low) features. This is tricky, since of course setting the price high might also scare off consumers. But the author only talks about people being put off by low prices--not high ones--so this answer choice works.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts