It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cheap Flights USA - Buenos Aires $287 incl taxes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28518 [0], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Cheap Flights USA - Buenos Aires $287 incl taxes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 21:10
If anyone is interested in visiting South America (Argentina in particular) - there is a fantastic fare that works from many US cities (LAX, ORD, JFK) on Mexicana and American Airlines for under $300 including all taxes and fees

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage- ... reads.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage- ... ads-6.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Re: Cheap Flights USA - Buenos Aires $287 incl taxes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2009, 06:13
Heh! I use that forum as well :)

Great forum for checking out airlines and mileage runs.

I also use www.openflights.org to track my flying My flights

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2009, 11:03
togafoot wrote:
Heh! I use that forum as well :)

Great forum for checking out airlines and mileage runs.

I also use http://www.openflights.org to track my flying My flights

Wow - a fellow flyertalker :)

You have a pretty impressive flight record. Well done!
I used to track my flights but they were too many and too short, so I finally gave up.

I assume you are Star Alliance based on your pattern? NH?

P.S. I don't openly admit this but I love flying and have done mileage runs in the past :lol:

Founder of GMAT Club

Director
Director

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2009, 20:05
Yep Star Alliance...

I was with NH, but switched to SQ. But I;m not flying as much since I started the MBA.. A lot of my travel had been because of business trips (hence the large amount of long haul flights to similar locations). Hence I will only be silver status this upcoming year :(
Thinking of switching to Asiana because the requirements of getting gold is much lower and it lasts 2 years, rather than 1. However, I do like flying Virgin Atlantic, and Asiana are not partnered with them (Both NH and SQ are, so I could still collect * Alliance points).

I also use seatguru.com when checking flights, because if I'm flying coach class, I prefer more room, and using flyertalk and seaguru, you can work out which plane you will be flying and what facilities will be available. e.g. I;m flying to SFO in AUgust to start my exchange, knowing that it is a long flight and that I'm flying in economy, I want to be able to use my laptop throughout... so I booked the SQ flight because it uses this plane....

I was actually tempted to take the Virgin Atlantic flight from HKG to SFO via LHR... That would have clocked up some serious miles and it was quite cheap.

Maybe I'll do a mileage run and visit some friends at the same time when I'm in the USA.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28518 [1], given: 5114

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2009, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
togafoot wrote:
Yep Star Alliance...

I was with NH, but switched to SQ. But I;m not flying as much since I started the MBA.. A lot of my travel had been because of business trips (hence the large amount of long haul flights to similar locations). Hence I will only be silver status this upcoming year :(
Thinking of switching to Asiana because the requirements of getting gold is much lower and it lasts 2 years, rather than 1. However, I do like flying Virgin Atlantic, and Asiana are not partnered with them (Both NH and SQ are, so I could still collect * Alliance points).

I also use seatguru.com when checking flights, because if I'm flying coach class, I prefer more room, and using flyertalk and seaguru, you can work out which plane you will be flying and what facilities will be available. e.g. I;m flying to SFO in AUgust to start my exchange, knowing that it is a long flight and that I'm flying in economy, I want to be able to use my laptop throughout... so I booked the SQ flight because it uses this plane....

I was actually tempted to take the Virgin Atlantic flight from HKG to SFO via LHR... That would have clocked up some serious miles and it was quite cheap.

Maybe I'll do a mileage run and visit some friends at the same time when I'm in the USA.

Good choice! Both Virgin and Singapore are fantastic airlines. Unfortunately we are stuck with US carriers here and Virgin America is not a real airline or a mileage program.

:) Same situation here with flying patterns - 1K with UA last year. So far only about 50K this year and probably won't be much more than that. That's enough for a Silver status on UA and Gold on BMI. I prefer their program, even though I have never flown a single flight with BMI. It is easier to maintain status with them and also much easier to redeem miles with one-way awards and cash&miles awards. I would recommend them instead of Asiana (unless you want to take advantage of the Asiana's family flight plan). As far as I know BMI is the only other *A partner that earns miles on Virgin. Their Gold Qualification is 38K miles (year after year), but the first year you have to get 58K. The only downside some fare classes earn only 50% credit: http://flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/diamondc ... miles.html

You can also buy BMI Silver status on Coupon Connection if you have access to it - that makes it easier to qualify as once you are Silver, you only need 38K miles in a rolling year, which is easy if you buy a ticket in F or C - you will earn 300% and 200% EQM respectively. You can start with them at any time as they have a rolling year (not calendar).

Also, have these two documents - a bit dated but may be helpful as you are at crossroads of your picking programs. Found somewhere on Flyertalk.
Attachments

File comment: Star Alliance cross earning chart for mileage credit
starcrossearningchart.xls [514 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: Comparison of Star Alliance Gold and Gold+ Tier Benefits
starall.doc [165 KiB]
Downloaded 141 times

To download please login or register as a user

Founder of GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 28518 [1], given: 5114

Re: Cheap Flights USA - Buenos Aires $287 incl taxes   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2009, 21:55

Cheap Flights USA - Buenos Aires $287 incl taxes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap