Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance,general management
 Q49  V27 GMAT 2: 680  Q47  V35
WE 1: 1.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance / General
 Q48  V35
WE 1: Siemens; 5 yrs
Send PM
Re: Chhosing the right admission consultant [#permalink]
Hello Everyone,

I need a frank opinion on whether should I apply for the top 15 univs in US. My profile :

GMAT : 1st attempt in October 2011 : 680; Q 48, V35
2nd attempt in June 2012 : 740; Q 49, V42

Work Ex : 5 yrs experience with Siemens Power Engg Ltd. as a Mechanical Turbine design engineer. I can show a decent (not extravagant) progress and professional achievements. But I do not have any international professional experience or exposure.

Education (Weakest area of my profile) : B.Tech : CGPA : 6.03 on 10. I can show plenty of extracurricular in college.
12 th : 72%; 10th : 70.2%

Other achievements : Member of winning team of the Space settlement design competition at Kennedy Space Centre, Florida in 2004.
Cleared CFA Level-1 in June 2011.

Pls let me know your frank opinion regarding my chances at the top 15 American univs. Also I would appreciate any suggestions on some good univs across the globe within my reach. I will also be trying for ISB and any suggestions from you guys for ISB would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Varun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
adhithya wrote:
Hi guys,
My name is Adhithya and Iam from Mumbai.
I have given my GMAT and plan to apply for 2014 intake.
1)I am slightly confused about which admission consultant I should choose.
I have tried out free profile evaluation from stacy blackman,MBA exchange,apphelp.
Stacy blackman was too generic in her response while I was really impresses with the evaluation from MBA exchange.

what do u guys think about MBA exchange?

2)what is the ideal time for enrolling with admission consultant(should i enroll now or in 2013 considering that iam applying for 2014 intake)

#1 Have you tried looking at their reviews at Admissions 411 ? Just based on my initial consultation )(with both of these folks) I like MBAexchange better, I like fact that top a 10 auditor within the US has verified their acceptance rate assertion. The person (from MBA exchange) I spoke with on the phone was more candid in his opinions, whereas the consultant from Blackman kept her opinions to herself and kept on promoting what a fine job they do, but having said that MBAmission, MBAexchange and Stacey Blackman are among the biggest players in the market, so can take solace from the fact that their service will not be below a certain level.

#2 If you think you're ready, its about the perfect time to start, because in August it will get really busy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Varun84 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I need a frank opinion on whether should I apply for the top 15 univs in US. My profile :

GMAT : 1st attempt in October 2011 : 680; Q 48, V35
2nd attempt in June 2012 : 740; Q 49, V42

Work Ex : 5 yrs experience with Siemens Power Engg Ltd. as a Mechanical Turbine design engineer. I can show a decent (not extravagant) progress and professional achievements. But I do not have any international professional experience or exposure.

Education (Weakest area of my profile) : B.Tech : CGPA : 6.03 on 10. I can show plenty of extracurricular in college.
12 th : 72%; 10th : 70.2%

Other achievements : Member of winning team of the Space settlement design competition at Kennedy Space Centre, Florida in 2004.
Cleared CFA Level-1 in June 2011.

Pls let me know your frank opinion regarding my chances at the top 15 American univs. Also I would appreciate any suggestions on some good univs across the globe within my reach. I will also be trying for ISB and any suggestions from you guys for ISB would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Varun

Do you have any community service and CSR related experience ? What do you want to do post-MBA ? Have you identified any specific schools within the top 15 ? If you can tell me little bit more about your career goals, so that I can suggest some programs to you.

Just as a side note, your GPA might be modest, but not a show stopper by any means. Since you've been out of school for such a long time your GMAT is bit more relevant than your GPA . Schools don't look at your 10 and 12th grade schools unless you are able to list them in your honors and awards section. Additionally, You shouldn't obsess much over your GPA since your GMAT is couple of clicks about the Average for most top schools. What you should worry about is how do I differentiate myself from my competition ? (Indian/Male/Engineer). Unfortunately, you belong to the most competitive demographic of foreign students that apply to schools within the US and Europe. So any unique attribute would be a big plus.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Youngjames wrote:
hey adithya...if it helps, i wrote a pretty lengthy piece on how to find an adviser that could be useful as you weigh your decision: https://www.thefirstread.com/mba-admissi ... right-one/

while i've heard good things about all the firms you've listed, it's important also to bear in mind "fit and chemistry." make sure you really get along with whomever your consultant is, and that you feel comfortable telling them everything about your hopes, fears, and dreams. sounds corny, but it's important and leads to a productive working relationship.

hope that's helpful
-james young

Delightful piece written by James Young. I am gonna recommend your service to a couple of friends who are applying, not only this article, but also you have a lots sound to the point admissions advice on your website. Big thanks James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: Finance,general management
 Q49  V27 GMAT 2: 680  Q47  V35
WE 1: 1.3
Send PM
Thanks a lot,james,great post and will take ur advice very seriously
GMAT Club Bot