Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah.. its kinda like your essays are one long cover letter.

On a side note, what is an exceptable format for theresume?

work experience, education, then extra curicular?

Do you list college extra curiculurs? Or focus on recent activities. Should you stick to one page?

If the resume is optional, should I include one? I feel like its just regurgitating the application. Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
What IS regurgitating is a requirement of BOTH resume AND employment history (Tepper does that).

As to resume format - I think it's pretty flexible, as soon as you list prof exp and extracurriculars. I'm not even sure education is strictly required there - after all, you list your academic record in other sections of your app.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
There was a big talk about long a resume should be a while back. Some swear it must be one page; others thing that 2 is fne. All 5 of my target schools specify - 1 page or max of 2. I have two resumes - one one-pager, one two-pager.

Usual headings include Professional (or relevant) Work Experience, Education, Community Involvement, and Leadership. Skills is another common one, though it seems a little funny in this context.

I think it's most important to pick entries that support the position you are trying to project. It doesn't matter much when you did it - within reason. If everything you put on your resume is from college, they'll wonder what you've been up to.

If they don't ask for a resume, I wouldn't submit one. Many of them do ask, though.

I found it helpful to look at some of these https://www.resume-resource.com/examples.html. They're not perfect, but it can give you some ideas regarding layout, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
There was a big talk about long a resume should be a while back. Some swear it must be one page; others thing that 2 is fne. All 5 of my target schools specify - 1 page or max of 2. I have two resumes - one one-pager, one two-pager.

I've always been under the impression that you can add an extra page for every 10 years of employment history.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
there are all kinds of ideas out there about what's ok and what's not. I have a lot of meaningful experience, including community leadership, service, work, and international. If you are filling your resume up with stuff that isn't relevant or is painfully detailed, then two pages isn't worthwhile. I think it's your choice, and I recommend having someone else take a look. Like those essays, it's hard to delete your own activities and achievements off your resume. A less invested eye can offer a more objective view.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Cover Letter for B-School Resume? [#permalink]
Hi Everyone,

I know the topic is old, but I hope that someone will browse through it and maybe leave some valuable comments.

I'm struggling with the decision if I should submit a cover letter along with my resume or better not. I have over 10 years of international experience, not even considering all the part time and full time jobs that I had while I was obtaining my undergrad and grad degrees, and I have no idea how to put all that valuable experience in two pages (or in some BSchools' case in one :shock: ). The other problem is that I feel like the essay questions do not allow me to explain properly all the valuable aspects of my professional development. 100 characters or so option of the description box in application form where I required to type my "main responsibilities" doesn't help much ether. I'm not sure if the "bullet style" resume also can bound all parts together. So I would really like to highlight some of these things in the cover letter. On the other hand, to submit a cover letter to some schools, I would have to shrink my "bullet style" resume to one page (have no idea how to do that ether :? ). Can anyone please advise, what would be the best decision in this case? Should I go with the cover letter and shortened resume for schools that allow two pages, or should I try to write the best resume that I can and don't annoy the ad com member with additional reading?

I have one weak part in my application that I would like to compensate with what I believe my strongest part - the working experience and professional development, therefore I would like to have a chance to talk about it.

Any thoughts on this matter are welcome and much appriciated!
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I would recommend against it. I've never heard of anybody submitting a cover letter. Schools are quite literal in what they ask for and everybody struggles to figure out how to fit everything they want to say into an application. An important skill in business is communicating what matters in a succinct fashion. Schools know you don't have enough space to say everything you want, you need to show them you are capable of highlighting what is most important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I would recommend against it. I've never heard of anybody submitting a cover letter. Schools are quite literal in what they ask for and everybody struggles to figure out how to fit everything they want to say into an application. An important skill in business is communicating what matters in a succinct fashion. Schools know you don't have enough space to say everything you want, you need to show them you are capable of highlighting what is most important.

Mappleby, thank you very much for your response. I totally understand what you're saying and think you are right.

Can you please advice, do you think it would be appropriate to change the resume from "bullet" style to "word" style? I'm not sure if I made the question clear, but I hope you understand what I mean :)

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot