Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [42]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [13]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Deb: It ’ s worrisome that 80% of the people in this country know at [#permalink]
Eric says "most people will probably know at least one dropout."

in option B "B The dropout rate varies little from region to region across the country.
Correct answer. The drop out rate has to be uniform across the country for Erik's argument to hold good. If there is an area where the drop out rate is much lower than 10% then the probability of *everyone *knowing at least 1 dropout (out of a 100 acquaintances) falls."

Eric never stated that *Everyone* knew atleast 1 dropout, but "most of the people".
So the answer should be "C"

Experts, please comment...
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Deb: It ’ s worrisome that 80% of the people in this country know at [#permalink]
Bookmarks
ahsanmalik12 wrote:
Eric says "most people will probably know at least one dropout."

in option B "B The dropout rate varies little from region to region across the country.
Correct answer. The drop out rate has to be uniform across the country for Erik's argument to hold good. If there is an area where the drop out rate is much lower than 10% then the probability of *everyone *knowing at least 1 dropout (out of a 100 acquaintances) falls."

Eric never stated that *Everyone* knew atleast 1 dropout, but "most of the people".
So the answer should be "C"

Experts, please comment...

if you negate C- it does not weaken the argument, thus it is not an assumption. But if you negate B, the conclusion of Eric will be weaken as the statistical data used will be questioned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
It will be B as its clear that Erik has assumed the drop rate is same all across the country. If you negate this point, his argument weakens..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
Stumped on this one. No clue. Will wait for the enlighted souls to share their perspective on this one.

Can some one explain how can some body arrive at the conclusion "most people will probably know at least one dropout" based on premise "the average person has about one hundred different acquaintances, and the normal high school dropout rate is only 10%" .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For assumption questions. Negate the answer choice, and if that neagted answer choice weakens the arguement , thats the assumption.
So, if an average person know about one hundred different acquaintances located in only one specific area, not every part of the country then the argument is weaken.
Here, negate choice B - "The dropout rate varies little from region to region across the country. Which will be changed as" – “The dropout rate varies little from region to region across the country”.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Kudos
The gist of the argument presented by eric is eryone has 100 acquaintances , so there are more chances of people knowing drop-outs in common.
The conclusion is not the probability that everyone knows at least 1 drop - out. The conclusion is that "That more than 80 % of people know a dropout is not worrisome"
What he says is "so what if 80% people know a dropout,even if the drop out rate is miniscule ,80% of the populate will know dropouts in common because 1 has 100s of friends. and they could have a dropout friend in common as common friend just the way it is on facebook.
So if we negate option B, we get "the normal dropout rate varies a lot from place to place "and in this case it does become a cause of concern , if the dropout rate in Oklahoma is 10% and the dropout rate in california is 60%.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
hemanthp wrote:
The same assumption exists in Deb and Erik's discussion; the reason it's harder to spot is because in the case of graduation rates, the its not obvious incorrect. One could perfectly reasonably assume that students drop out at relatively consistent rates across a small country. But what if they didn't? If ALL the country's dropouts were normally confined to one or two provinces, but now 80% of the entire country's population knows a dropout, Erik would be mistaken. Deb's statistic would be cause for alarm, as it would indicate the problem was spreading! On the other hand, if the 10% dropout rate was universal across the country, then Erik is right: Deb's statistic is unsurprising and not alarming. Thus, (B) clearly identifies the assumption in Erik's argument.
Hope this helps!

hi eli, thanks for the intervention.What i cudnt get from your explanation is "the statistic is a case for alarm in case the % of drop outs may vary from region to region or the dropout percentage may increase in a few places?
My explanation takes the variation in percentage into consideration but not variation from region to region.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mundasingh,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking; can you clarify?

Thanks!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi mundasingh,

Thanks!

Hi Eli,
You had written
One could perfectly reasonably assume that students drop out at relatively consistent rates across a small country. But what if they didn't? If ALL the country's dropouts were normally confined to one or two provinces, ----- Deb's statistic would be cause for alarm, as it would indicate the problem was spreading!
so does this mean that even if the rate was consistently 10% but spread uniformly all over the country, would it be cause for alarm ?
I had only taken consistent rates into consideration in the explanation that i had offered just before you posted.My take was : If the rate was 10 % in 1 province and 60% in other provinces, it would be cause for alarm.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mundasingh123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi mundasingh,

Thanks!

Hi Eli,
You had written
One could perfectly reasonably assume that students drop out at relatively consistent rates across a small country. But what if they didn't? If ALL the country's dropouts were normally confined to one or two provinces, ----- Deb's statistic would be cause for alarm, as it would indicate the problem was spreading!
so does this mean that even if the rate was consistently 10% but spread uniformly all over the country, would it be cause for alarm ?
I had only taken consistent rates into consideration in the explanation that i had offered just before you posted.My take was : If the rate was 10 % in 1 province and 60% in other provinces, it would be cause for alarm.
Hi mundasingh,

Erik's point was that even a very low dropout rate (10%) could account for Deb's statistic, and therefore Deb's statistic is not cause for alarm.

However, Erik's example would only work if the 10% dropout rate he offered as an example were spread evenly across the country. If low graduation rates are normally confined to a specific area, then Erik would be wrong; Deb's statistic that 80% of the population knows someone who left high school would be quite worrying, because it would indicate that the problem is beginning to spread to other parts of the country.

Originally posted by KapTeacherEli on 23 Nov 2010, 08:21.
Last edited by KapTeacherEli on 23 Nov 2010, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM