Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Decreasing Practice Scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
UsedBlackberry5 wrote:
Hello all,

I have been studying for about 5 months now I originally took a practice exam through Kaplan when starting out and got a 560. After further research found out that that’s not the best indicator so after about 2 months of studying I took one of the 5 official practice exams and have taken those since other than one MGMAT. Dates and scores as follows

Dec 1 - 620 39 quant 36 verbal
Jan 6 - 610 41 quant 32 verbal
Feb 4 - 700 48 quant 38 verbal
Feb 8 - 640 43 quant 34 verbal (MGMAT)
Mar 4 - 620 42 quant 34 verbal
Mar 17 - 600 41 quant 31 verbal

I have gone through the entire OG, and MGMAT series books. I have been using Magoosh keeping a strict error log and studying just about every day. I am currently working my way through the OG quant/verbal review specific books as well as rewatching the Magoosh videos and redoing problems.

Recently I started watching all the Veritas prep videos on YouTube.

I desperately want to get into a top program and I take the GMAT April 22nd.

I have military/SOF experience but I know that’s not enough to carry a bad GMAT score.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi UsedBlackberry5,

Lack of a proper structure can be the reason for the score being inconsistent. The key to scoring well on GMAT is doing the prep in the right way. And how to do your prep in the right way? Make sure to tick all the below boxes.

• Learn the concepts of the topic
  • Learn the methodology to solve questions of that topic (Most important)
  • Practice questions of that topic to get used to the methodology (No need to time yourself at this stage)
  • Move to the next topic only if you get a decent accuracy while practicing. If not, revisit the concepts and the methodology and make sure to understand them perfectly this time

This is the right sequence to deal with the topics. Repeat the same process for every topic. And once you are done with all the topic, you can start taking timed quizzes.

The reason for score being inconsistent:

Now, ask yourself whether you have done your prep in the right way. You are probably good with the concepts but are still struggling with the application part. So, make sure to work on the application and learn the right methodology. One way to do that is to analyze the solutions in depth. Go through each step of the solution, identify at which step you have made the mistake, think what made you take that decision at that point of time and make sure to learn the right approach.

The path ahead:

Do not rely on too many resources. As you are using an online course, stick to that. But make sure that the resource you are using helps you with the methodology and helps you to work on your weak areas. If that's not the case, then switch to a good standard resource which can help you with them. But never rely on too many resources. It only makes things worse.

Make a proper study plan. Dedicate equal time to both Quant and Verbal. Deal with one topic at a time and move to the next topic only after you get at least 80% accuracy in the previous topic. You don't have to time yourself while learning the right methodology. During the initial stages of learning, the focus should be on getting the process right.

I can guide you in a better way if you can provide me a little background about your GMAT preparation, how you prepared till now and your weak areas. You can write back to me here or a better way would be to discuss the same over a call. You can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Decreasing Practice Scores [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi UsedBlackberry5,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. In that same way, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans (and the earlier you reach out to those Experts, the more time you will have to incorporate their suggestions). Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Statistically-speaking, raising a 620 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require that you commit to at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. While there's no harm in taking the GMAT on April 22nd, that would only give you about 5 more weeks of study time. If you ultimately "need" a 700+ to apply, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date (which would likely same you some time, money and frustration in the process).

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22066 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi UsedBlackberry5,

I’m sorry to hear about what has been going on with your GMAT. Before providing specific advice, I do have one important question. Given that you have plenty of time before you need to submit your applications, would you be willing to push back your GMAT, studying longer, and take it once you are truly ready to do so? In the meantime, here is a helpful article for you to check out:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi UsedBlackberry5,

I’m sorry to hear about what has been going on with your GMAT. Before providing specific advice, I do have one important question. Given that you have plenty of time before you need to submit your applications, would you be willing to push back your GMAT, studying longer, and take it once you are truly ready to do so? In the meantime, here is a helpful article for you to check out:

I looked into canceling/rescheduling it to push it back but would get charged to do so and since I get two of my GMATs paid for through my current employer. I am thinking about just taking it anyways but continuing to study using it almost as a “practice exam” if that makes sense.

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30803 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi UsedBlackberry5,

From your various mock scores it is clear to me that the 700 score is an outlier and your current prep puts you around ~41 in Quant and ~32 in Verbal. Have you reviewed your error log? What kind of errors do you normally make in the questions that you get wrong and in which sub-sections?

Your scores indicate conceptual and application gaps which need to be fixed to get to a score of 700+. To do so optimally, you need to have a sub-sectional level understanding of your strengths and weaknesses and create a plan that fits your specific requirements. Do you know your ability at a sub-sectional level? If no, then Also, I would like to invite you to try a SIGma-X mock test. These tests are designed to give you not only an accurate assessment of your current GMAT score but also a very detailed report of your performance. You will be able to pin-point your strengths and weaknesses at sub-sectional level and make a precise plan for the remaining of your preparation.

Follow the steps mentioned below to take SIGma-X mock test:

Once you take the test, you can write to our team at support@e-gmat.com for a detailed analysis of your performance and a plan to reach your target GMAT score.

Regards,
Aditee
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30803 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Koonus,

What kind of information are you looking for? In which stage of prep are you at the moment?

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22066 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
UsedBlackberry5 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi UsedBlackberry5,

I looked into canceling/rescheduling it to push it back but would get charged to do so and since I get two of my GMATs paid for through my current employer. I am thinking about just taking it anyways but continuing to study using it almost as a “practice exam” if that makes sense.

Understood. If you need any additional advice, feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Bot