Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: desperate for a good strategy. only 3-6 weeks lef.t. [#permalink]
I guess I just need an effective plan to go mental with in the next 6 weeks ... any help would be great!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
n2739178 wrote:

do you think the best approach is to 'deep dive' into those areas you've suggested (read up on the appropriate book chapters for a topic go through the questions I consistently get wrong for each topic, thoroughly analyse them, make some flash cards of points i don't know, and move on to another topic), do all the OG questions for those areas, and revise all the OG questions I've messed up in the past?

Do whatever you think is necessary for you to be comfortable in these areas. Ratios, work, time speed distance are important topics (as are number properties, algebra and geometry). Don't try to be very good in all the topics since you don't have that much time. So don't worry much about P&C and take a short cut in sets.

n2739178 wrote:
I have bought the MGMAT advanced quant book so I'll go through all the DS questions on that, then go through the OG DS questions once I'm comfortable with the strategies for DS. or is that a bad idea? should I just go through troublesome DS questions again, analyse the wrong answers, re-write them out and retry, and once I've done enough of them then the methodology should just 'sink in'?

That depends on what worries you. Are you fine with the Math concepts used and would generally do a good job in PS but not in DS? or would you have trouble with those questions in either format? If you dread the DS format, you need to understand the 'sufficiency condition' properly. That is all there is that you have to be careful of in DS. (Normally, I suggest people to get the Veritas DS book since it has drills devoted to helping you understand the DS format but since you don't have much time, make use of whatever DS material you have). Learn to analyze the questions one step at a time. They do sometimes involve analyzing two different questions with the same data so keep patience.

n2739178 wrote:
How can I know I'm learning from doing questions - should I go through say 10 questions in a session, retry the ones I get wrong and if I still get them wrong, then analyse the answer choice, re-write out the question and leave it for a future review session?

You don't have to focus on learning the question - only on what you learn from it. If you are unable to arrive at the answer, find out why. Find out the gap in your understanding because of which you got stuck. Make sure you understand the concept used. If you are not sure, check it out from some standard text. Then try some other questions based on the same concept and see if you can solve them. You can later come back to the question and see if you get it. Focus on the takeaways.

n2739178 wrote:
I guess I'm just stuck on how to study effectively. I'm very motivated again as I realised my score wasn't imporving because I was using a very flawed study strategy - it feels like I have hope again :)

Wish you luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Karishma!
GMAT Club Bot