Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Devastated by an extremely low score and seeking help [#permalink]
I consulted a few people.. One of the teachers, from whom I took classes, asked me to wait and re-start all over again. Also, she was pressing on the fact that I should apply with my first GMAT score of 640. Personally, I do not want to do that. I do not want to apply with my first score.
A lot of people have suggested me to apply with 640. I do not want to I want to re-give it again.
Send PM
Expert Reply
manpritsp19 wrote:
I consulted a few people.. One of the teachers, from whom I took classes, asked me to wait and re-start all over again. Also, she was pressing on the fact that I should apply with my first GMAT score of 640. Personally, I do not want to do that. I do not want to apply with my first score.
A lot of people have suggested me to apply with 640. I do not want to I want to re-give it again.

It's all up to you. Are you trying to maximize your GMAT score because you need that to get into your dream school? If so, take a little break and then get back into the studies and push back your date. If the GMAT is a means to an end - getting an MBA - then applying with those scores makes sense. Perhaps you don't get into your dream school, but you might get accepted to one of your top choices.

Only you know what is best for you. I'm not an admissions consultant, but I have seen people get admitted with scores they thought were too low. The GMAT is one of many application elements - keep that in mind.

Best of luck!

KW
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am trying to maximize my GMAT score because I need to get into my dream school. Also, GMAT is a means to an end - getting an MBA. What I feel is that 640 is too low for the schools I consider good. On the other hand, I feel there is no guarantee that things don't go terribly wrong the next time.
still confused :(
Send PM
Expert Reply
manpritsp19 wrote:
I am trying to maximize my GMAT score because I need to get into my dream school. Also, GMAT is a means to an end - getting an MBA. What I feel is that 640 is too low for the schools I consider good. On the other hand, I feel there is no guarantee that things don't go terribly wrong the next time.
still confused :(

Have you spoken to the schools themselves or chatted with an admissions consultant? They will often give you some good guidance about the strength of your application. You also need to look at the "range" of GMAT scores at each school, not just the median score, to see if your score fits into the range. If you are in the range, then it's a question of the strength of the rest of your application.

With only the data you provided, particularly your stated performance on practice exams, I would say you likely have the potential to score in the high 600s on test day. I would guess that what's happening to you on test day is that you have issues with either timing, test anxiety, weak spots in your preparation, or silly mistakes.

For timing, have you had any issues on practice exams? Do you use timing charts? Do you run out of time or spend too long on difficult problems and rush through easy problems?

For anxiety, do you get really nervous when taking the real thing? Have you experienced issues with poor performance on other tests in the past?

For weak spots, have you taken practice exams that give diagnostic results? (Manhattan GMAT CATs give full diagnostic results by question type. GMAT Focus is a nice diagnostic tool from GMAC). If so, do you show any weakness in a key area, like Algebra?

For silly mistakes, do you find yourself making small mental errors? Forgetting a negative sign, overlooking a part of the instructions, small arithmetic errors? These can multiply on test day and really impact your score.

KW
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No I haven't spoken to the schools or chatted with an admissions consultant.

I have issues with timing, test anxiety, weak spots in my preparation and silly mistakes. My major problem is exam fear. Second major problem is lack of confidence in myself. Third is timing.

For timing, have you had any issues on practice exams? Do you use timing charts? Do you run out of time or spend too long on difficult problems and rush through easy problems?
Yes I do have time management problems. I spent good eight minutes on the second question in my GMAT exam. Horrified, I screwed up the rest of the exam as well because of spending so much time. I do spend long on difficult problems n i do simpler one's in a jiffy.

For anxiety, do you get really nervous when taking the real thing? Have you experienced issues with poor performance on other tests in the past?
Yes a lot of times my anxiety takes a toll on me. I get really nervous and thus have scored bad on exams. I know its not a matter of life and death but I did consider it almost of that significance.

For weak spots, have you taken practice exams that give diagnostic results? (Manhattan GMAT CATs give full diagnostic results by question type. GMAT Focus is a nice diagnostic tool from GMAC). If so, do you show any weakness in a key area, like Algebra?
I have taken the Manhattan CATs. I have not tried the tool from GMAC. I worked on my weak areas. Inequalities, for instance, was one such area. Stats was one area. Weighted averages and Venn Diagrams still haunt me. There's one pattern I have noticed in myself. More is the length of the question, more scared I get before solving it. I make a picture in my mind that the question will be tough. I read the question stem three-four times before actually cracking the question and this thus leads to time wastage. At the end of the exam I am left with less time and more number of questions.
Verbal : I am bad with assumption questions and under time pressure the problem worsens. I "PANIC". I totally lose track of myself. In GMAT exam this is what happened to me. I merely remember any question. The only thing I remember is that I was tensed. I lost my cool in the mid of the verbal section. Somehow, I figured out I am not doing well, this fact even screwed my rest of the questions. I got majority questions of assumptions.

For silly mistakes, do you find yourself making small mental errors? Forgetting a negative sign, overlooking a part of the instructions, small arithmetic errors? These can multiply on test day and really impact your score.
Now, silly mistakes are one thing that have prevailed in all my exams since childhood. Overlooking a part of the instruction, reading 1 as 7 , not reading the -ve sign etc. I specially took a note of these things and was extra cautious on the exam day so as not to repeat the mistakes.

My lack of concentration and my fear are my biggest enemies. My hard work is my asset, but am losing out on this as well because each day makes me feel worthless. I feel that there's no guarantee that things will go right this time. I am taken aback by the fact that I might not get into a school like MIT , I thoroughly wanted that to happen.
Send PM
Expert Reply
manpritsp19 wrote:
No I haven't spoken to the schools or chatted with an admissions consultant.

I have issues with timing, test anxiety, weak spots in my preparation and silly mistakes. My major problem is exam fear. Second major problem is lack of confidence in myself. Third is timing.

Yes I do have time management problems. I spent good eight minutes on the second question in my GMAT exam. Horrified, I screwed up the rest of the exam as well because of spending so much time. I do spend long on difficult problems n i do simpler one's in a jiffy.

Yes a lot of times my anxiety takes a toll on me. I get really nervous and thus have scored bad on exams. I know its not a matter of life and death but I did consider it almost of that significance.

I have taken the Manhattan CATs. I have not tried the tool from GMAC. I worked on my weak areas. Inequalities, for instance, was one such area. Stats was one area. Weighted averages and Venn Diagrams still haunt me. There's one pattern I have noticed in myself. More is the length of the question, more scared I get before solving it. I make a picture in my mind that the question will be tough. I read the question stem three-four times before actually cracking the question and this thus leads to time wastage. At the end of the exam I am left with less time and more number of questions.
Verbal : I am bad with assumption questions and under time pressure the problem worsens. I "PANIC". I totally lose track of myself. In GMAT exam this is what happened to me. I merely remember any question. The only thing I remember is that I was tensed. I lost my cool in the mid of the verbal section. Somehow, I figured out I am not doing well, this fact even screwed my rest of the questions. I got majority questions of assumptions.

Now, silly mistakes are one thing that have prevailed in all my exams since childhood. Overlooking a part of the instruction, reading 1 as 7 , not reading the -ve sign etc. I specially took a note of these things and was extra cautious on the exam day so as not to repeat the mistakes.

My lack of concentration and my fear are my biggest enemies. My hard work is my asset, but am losing out on this as well because each day makes me feel worthless. I feel that there's no guarantee that things will go right this time. I am taken aback by the fact that I might not get into a school like MIT , I thoroughly wanted that to happen.

Ok - these are really good, honest responses here. You have some issues, but frankly that is probably a good thing because that means you have room for improvement. First let me say, don't give up on your dreams. All of the issues you noted are addressable, particularly given your work ethic (it looks like you are successfully managing the silly errors). The test anxiety is the biggest issue that you need to address and I think you have two ways to help with the anxiety: Address the anxiety directly and tighten up your test processes.

First, to address the anxiety directly you should look at getting some psychological help. I've heard people use relaxation/visualization techniques, much like athletes. You could probably learn a great deal on these techniques from some internet searches and self-help books. I've also heard of people meeting with a psychologist to work through the anxiety (might sound uncomfortable but those who have done it have seen great success). Take the anxiety seriously and find ways to manage through it.

Second, you have to be super tight on test process. Because you are already in a state of anxiety just by taking the test, you have to manage so as to minimize the stress/anxiety you create yourself. Timing is a key piece here. When you get off on timing, you will mentally fall apart and the your test results will do the same. As a top performer, it will be hard for you to "give up" on any problem, which keeps you working on problems well past the 2-minute benchmark. You have to learn to let go on these problems. Develop the internal clock that tells you when you've gone too long on a problem and have the discipline to move into guess mode and finish out the problem in time. Disciplined timing will have a big payoff for you.

You probably need to work on your guessing strategies too. As you prepare for the exam you should be doing everything you can to improve in your areas of weakness (i.e. inequalities). When you are getting ready to take the test, however, you have to be honest about who you are as a test taker. If at test time you are still super weak at inequalities, accept that and change your approach to inequalities problems. When you hit an inequality problem, don't stress out about it, but rather use it as an opportunity to bank some time for problems you can do. Give the problem a solid attempt (work on it for a minute or so) to see if you can handle the problem, but if you are stuck, move into guess mode and save yourself 30-45 seconds for another problem you do know how to solve.

I think you can score well, as long as you address your anxiety issues and tighten up your process.

Best of luck!!!

KW
GMAT Club Bot