Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:30 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
It is all about making an impression. For me, I find working strictly to a word count results in my essays being punchier. Word count is a part of my editing process - most of the time I can cut 10% from my standard text. If I want then, I can add more. What is always true is that after that cut it reads better.

and how is that?! there is no co-relation between sticking to a word-limit and an essay being punchier...notice that i mention just "sticking to a word limit".

Anyways, i think this discussion has already gone too long and too far...since it started with essays for MIT...let me just mention (as i had earlier, in another thread on this forum)...in one of the information sessions, i personally asked Jon McLaughlin (from Sloan) about the importance of adhering to the word limit. This is what he had to say:

"Think of your essays to be a meeting with an important client. If the meeting had been set for 30 minutes and it goes on for 33 then it's not a problem. If it lingers on to 40 minutes or more then thats bad. Word limit is not a line in the stone which can not be crossed but should be used more as a guideline"

HTH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Did anyone go over their essay word limit? [#permalink]
I'd say - and that applies not only but especially to application essays:
perfect content within maximum words is better than perfect content exceeding maximum words is better than bad content within maximum words ist better than bad content exceeding maximum words.

So if you can only express your good content with more than the allowed number of words - do so, because good content is the most important. But remember that another application with just as good content and less words will still be evaluated better.

BTW: I don't have any inside info but I'm quite convinced that they DO check the number of words! It's not that hard to do....
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Did anyone go over their essay word limit? [#permalink]
   1   2