Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: hey there [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ConquertheGMAT,

You've named some highly competitive Programs, so it's understandable that you might want to retest.

Given your general timeframe and deadlines, the 50 days you've allotted to continue studying should be enough to help you make the necessary adjustments to how you handle the GMAT (and raise your scores). Using your Official GMAT as reference, you have the potential to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. However, since you've been studying for 3+ months, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take some time to get you out of.

Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ConquertheGMAT,

You've named some highly competitive Programs, so it's understandable that you might want to retest.

Given your general timeframe and deadlines, the 50 days you've allotted to continue studying should be enough to help you make the necessary adjustments to how you handle the GMAT (and raise your scores). Using your Official GMAT as reference, you have the potential to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. However, since you've been studying for 3+ months, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take some time to get you out of.

Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet?

Rich

No, I have not scheduled it yet. Was going to schedule it tomorrow. The heartache is too much to handle today :(
Why do u ask?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ConquertheGMAT,

For many Test Takers, choosing a specific time of day (and day of the week) to take the GMAT can be quite beneficial. What day/time combination did you choose for your last GMAT? What day/time combination are you considering for this next attempt?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ConquertheGMAT,

For many Test Takers, choosing a specific time of day (and day of the week) to take the GMAT can be quite beneficial. What day/time combination did you choose for your last GMAT? What day/time combination are you considering for this next attempt?

Rich

For the 540 attempt I chose the 11 AM Tuesday slot
For the 640 attempt I chose the 2 PM Saturday slot.
Only these two slots are available at the nearest Centre.
For the reattempt i'll choose the 11 AM slot perhaps on a weekend.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ConquertheGMAT,

A few things to think about in scheduling your exam. First, if you are a more of a morning person, choose the 11 am slot; if you need some time to wake up, choose the 2 pm slot. For whichever slot you choose, attempt your practice exams around the same time so that you can simulate the actual test experience as much as possible. Secondly, you will want to track your incorrect answers on the practice exams so that you can determine your weakness and also help you to highlight silly errors you might have made. Finally, to achieve a score in the realm you are shooting for will require you to use better "reasoning" more so than a better understanding of the concepts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ConquertheGMAT,

I've never been a 'fan' of taking the GMAT on a Saturday (especially if you work a Monday-Friday schedule). If you have no choice in the matter, then I would suggest that you take the 11am slot AND take that Friday off from work (vacation day, sick day, personal day, etc.) so that you can relax a bit the day before your Official GMAT.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ConquertheGMAT wrote:
I really hoped that this post would be a "happy post" but I think destiny had some other plans. Gave the GMAT today and scored a dismal 640 (Q45,V 35). This was my second attempt. The last time I scored a 540 (don't rem the sec score). I was really hoping for a 700+ score. I studied really hard (self study), referred all the notes, visited forums occasionally, solved I don't know how many questions, was scoring around 690-700 on mock tests, don't know what went wrong. I am so lost, the application deadlines are round the corner and I need to hurry up with my reattempt if I need to meet the application deadlines. But as they say "Quitters are Losers", I have decided to give a third and FINAL shot AND THIS TIME I AM GOING TO TAME THIS BEAST! Would really like some expert advice as I'm planning to subscribe to a course this time and take the legitimate approach for the exam. I plan to retake the GMAT in the next 50 days. Can someone help me? I'm targeting a 100 point jump this time to reach 740 (its possible as I made a 100 point jump from the last score).

And yes I would appreciate KUDOS as I need them to unlock GMATClub test series, Wanna try them out as well.

Thanks a lot friends!

Don't Quit, Hang on to your dreams!

Hey ConquertheGMAT

Congrats on bumping up your score. And props to you for getting back on the grind.

In the next 50 days, use this customized one month study plan to help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Best of luck - and we are here to help.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
ConquertheGMAT wrote:
I really hoped that this post would be a "happy post" but I think destiny had some other plans. Gave the GMAT today and scored a dismal 640 (Q45,V 35). This was my second attempt. The last time I scored a 540 (don't rem the sec score). I was really hoping for a 700+ score. I studied really hard (self study), referred all the notes, visited forums occasionally, solved I don't know how many questions, was scoring around 690-700 on mock tests, don't know what went wrong. I am so lost, the application deadlines are round the corner and I need to hurry up with my reattempt if I need to meet the application deadlines. But as they say "Quitters are Losers", I have decided to give a third and FINAL shot AND THIS TIME I AM GOING TO TAME THIS BEAST! Would really like some expert advice as I'm planning to subscribe to a course this time and take the legitimate approach for the exam. I plan to retake the GMAT in the next 50 days. Can someone help me? I'm targeting a 100 point jump this time to reach 740 (its possible as I made a 100 point jump from the last score).

And yes I would appreciate KUDOS as I need them to unlock GMATClub test series, Wanna try them out as well.

Thanks a lot friends!

Don't Quit, Hang on to your dreams!

Hi ConquertheGMAT,

640 is not at all the end of the world. And that jump from 540 is commendable! Things get a bit tricky now because by now you must be quite fatigued and also the margin of improvement narrows with each retake. But that's no reason to give up. If your studies are well planned, consistent, and efficient, there's no reason to not improve. For your practice tests and on test day, divide your time in intervals so that you know at designated times whether you're working too fast or too slow. Take your practice tests under exam conditions so that the scores aren't inflated (If you take breaks or only do isolated sections the score can be higher than normal). While studying, include time to analyze your practice questions and practice tests results. Understand the question type you missed, why you missed it, and whether or not it was a guess. Leave some time toward the end of your studies to revisit the questions that you missed or gave you an extra challenge. Work them out again and see if you make the same mistakes or see them in a new way.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot