Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Disheartened with my GMAT performance. 540 to 590. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi taniad,

To start, regardless of how you choose to study going forward, it's important to remember that Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs/mocks, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. When you take CATs in the future, it's important that you take each one in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all be better than they normally would be). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

You might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

1) What is the latest that you can take the Official GMAT?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi Rich.
Thanks for your reply.
The idea of giving an exam in a different location is helpful, and will certainly do that.

I am trying to submit my applications by first week of March, hence the available dates are Feb 26/28. I plan on a minimum of 10 hrs a day for GMAT practice, however only after 22nd Jan, as I have some travels in between.
I did purchase an ESR for my first score- 540. Im not keen on getting a second one for the recent exam.
I can certainly share my ESR for the first one with you.

Regarding the gmat prep exams, yes- many of them were repeated. Although I went through the process of doing each question with all steps, so that the time factor would be normal, however I was confident with the answer selection, as I had done them earlier and revised the same.

However, Im not sure if I should invest in other prep exams- as I do believe GMAT prep is the most authentic one so far. However, Ive just bought 2019 OG Bundle, so have access to the online wiley questions, and can create an exam atmosphere in it.

Look forward to hearing from you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi taniad,

From this last message, it's not clear what type of studying you will be able to do for the next 10 days (before January 22nd), but the timeframe from January 22nd to February 26th is just 5 weeks - and that might limit how much you can improve. In addition, studying 10+ hours a day is NOT a good idea (I've never asked anyone to study that much, since it greatly increases the chances that you will 'burn out' before Test Day - and that is something that we want to avoid).

Since your 2nd GMAT performance is considerably different from your first (especially in the Verbal section), that first ESR won't necessarily tell us much about your current skills (again, especially in the Verbal section), so I don't think that data is too meaningful at this point. To hit your Goal Score in the timeframe you've defined, you're going to have to commit to some specific tasks - including taking FULL-LENGTH CATs in a realistic fashion (and it's unclear whether you are actually willing to do that work or not). At this point, you've been studying "your way" for quite some time - and ended up with 2 Official Scores that did not make you happy. For this next attempt, you have to decide what's MORE important: continuing to approach this process your way OR committing to a guided Study Plan that will put you in the best position possible to hit your Goal Score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi taniad,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you scored 540 and 590, despite the fact that you’ve scored higher on some of your practice exams, the data from your two GMATs shows that you have some major weaknesses that must be addressed in order to improve to 670. Although it’s far from a guarantee, if you work your butt off for the next month, you could improve your GMAT score.

Moving forward, you need to follow a structured study plan that allows you to individually review and study each quant and verbal topic, so you can find your weaknesses and fill in knowledge gaps. I realize that you think the “concepts” are not the issue, and while that may be partially true, you must remember that before you can master the application of concepts, you need to know those concepts like the back of your hand. So, if you can study such that you master each individual topic, I believe that you will better be able to apply particular quant and verbal concepts when doing GMAT questions.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich.
Thanks for your message. I have also concluded that my way of studying isnt right.
It's clear that something in the way Im doing my questions isnt right, and I am unable to get clarifications there and then.

I've signed up with an institute in my city right now, so hopefully the guidance will help me assess my weak points and plan of action to overcome it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi taniad,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you scored 540 and 590, despite the fact that you’ve scored higher on some of your practice exams, the data from your two GMATs shows that you have some major weaknesses that must be addressed in order to improve to 670. Although it’s far from a guarantee, if you work your butt off for the next month, you could improve your GMAT score.

Moving forward, you need to follow a structured study plan that allows you to individually review and study each quant and verbal topic, so you can find your weaknesses and fill in knowledge gaps. I realize that you think the “concepts” are not the issue, and while that may be partially true, you must remember that before you can master the application of concepts, you need to know those concepts like the back of your hand. So, if you can study such that you master each individual topic, I believe that you will better be able to apply particular quant and verbal concepts when doing GMAT questions.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your message.

After spending some time taking a break, Ive signed up with an institute for a study guide. Perhaps the way I've studied is not right or my doubts have not been completely cleared.
Hopefully, the guidance from f2f training will help me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts