Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Do I have a **** profile? [#permalink]
LOL, I do not have anything of substance to add but I have to comment on how hilarious the subject is!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Do I have a (bad) profile? [#permalink]
Sorry to be the bad guy but swearing is highly frowned on here, so I changed your title. Yes I know we are all adults but we try to maintain a higher standard here than some other boards. Please refrain from using that type of language in the future.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Sorry to be the bad guy but swearing is highly frowned on here, so I changed your title. Yes I know we are all adults but we try to maintain a higher standard here than some other boards. Please refrain from using that type of language in the future.

I am sorry, riverripper. I did not assume that I can use offensive words because we are all adult. I am obviously not native in English, so I didn't know the word is that bad.

Thanks for correcting me. Appreciate that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
hey there,

Um, people know that my opinions of the admissions consultants aren't that high, especially the ones who tell you "you have no chance" just so they can get you to sign up and work with them. Ok, rant over. :)

You have a pretty strong profile! To answer your question, you are NOT too old for the schools you listed. Right now only Harvard and Stanford are known to go younger, and the rest still have average ages of 27-28. If it helps, I'm 31, have an engineering masters, worked 5 years as an engineer and only decided to get an MBA after working 2 years in business development. So if you can tell your story of WHY you wanted to switch to marketing from engineering, HOW you did it, and WHY that prompted you to get an MBA (if you're already in marketing, why do you need an MBA? That sort of questions), then you should have a good chance.

Your EC leadership is great, your GPA is fine, your GMAT will NEED to be above 700 (to make you competitive), preferably 720+ for the schools you're looking at. The one weakness I see is that you didn't list any MAJOR work leadership experience. You've done some good work, but if you can talk about the leadership and teamwork aspects of those jobs in your essays, then you can mitigate the issue.

DO NOT be negative. You need to get a good GMAT score. Once you do, it'll depend solely on your essays. Also, DON'T let the consultants get you down. I'd trust people on GMATClub much more than those consultants, who told me most of the schools I've applied to were "unlikely" for me.

Anyway, my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt though. :)

Wharton - reach, this will be a very tough one, but age will not be a factor there
Kellogg - smaller reach, depends on great essays and how well you convey your leadership/teamwork characteristics
Yale SOM - Tough just because the class size is so small, but on target.
Tuck - Tough, but doable.
MIT - small reach, emphasize your marketing background and how you're NOT a typical engineer
Haas - Tough because of the acceptance rates, but very doable with your stats and with good essays.

Have you considered any "safety" schools? Like Michigan, UCLA, or Duke for Marketing?

Hi Kry,

I am sorry for the previous subject line. My mood was very negative when I typed that. Even when I read your words "You have a pretty strong profile", my inside still kept telling me "Kry just tried not to be too mean". : (

I know your "unlikely" story, which I guess is well-know here. I admire that you could overcome the noise and finally put your feet in Haas.

Thanks for telling me that I am still young : ). That is the only thing I can't change. But still, I will put more effort to explain why I started MBA relatively late.

Regarding the essay, I think I can prepare a good one because I am a careful writer who can think clearly, deeply and critically. Of course I still need the help from the experts here.

Yes, I do not have direct reports because I am relatively new in this industry and I am working in a representative office of my company. The services we provided here are mainly sales and marketing, so not labour intensive. Even though i do not have major work leadership experience. I will mention some projects/ tasks where I took lead. I am also the chairman of a committee in my company. Our committee cooperates well in with other offices internationally.

I really appreciate your advices on schools because I know that the likely vs unlikely issue is difficult to tell. Thanks!

I am not native in English, so I am afraid I misunderstand the terms here. What I guess is: reach (most unlikely) > smaller reach > small reach > very tough > tough > doable, very doable. Am I right?

I did think about backup. But some of the backups advised by the consultant are unknown to me, for example, Wisconsin and UNC Kenan-Flagler. As MBA is a big money and time investment for me, I don't want to end up failing to achieve my career goal. In other words, I am afriad that companies such as P&G, Unilever, Mckincy, BCG will not consider my application if I come from Wisconsin.

You mentioned about Michigan, UCLA, or Duke for Marketing. They are good schools as far as I know. But are they "elite" school? Are there many good S&M and consulting companies hiring their graduates?

Anyway, thank you again for your reply. Now I can totally focus in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
LOL, I do not have anything of substance to add but I have to comment on how hilarious the subject is!

Hi raabenb, I am sorry for the title.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
haha, getting Olympic medal is at least 100 times harder than getting into Wharton.

Do you mean “I would NOT apply to UNC and Wisconsin”?

The percentage helped me to visualize the ratings better. I feel much less confused now. Sure, I will bare in mind your disclaimer. But because of my recent Quan practice, I naturally started thinking:

Probability to get in MIT/Wharton/Kellogg = 15% each
Probability to get in Haas/Tuck/ Yale = 30-40% each

Then , probability of getting in any one of the school is = ???
: )
Better ask the expert in the Quan forum. haha.

Honestly, I can see that if all the assumptions were accurate, and if I put my best efforts in the application, my chance of getting in one of them will not be low.

Thanks again, Kry. +2 for you
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
judokan wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for the typo. :)

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
judokan wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for the typo. :)

Good luck!

Noted with thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Also, when you write your essays be sure to have them proofread from several people. Essays can be the deciding factor between getting an interview or just get out right dinged (rejected). If you don't know too many good native English speakers, there are several places online where they can check it for you for a low rate. I read a post from someone on a website he posted on some good prices where he got his papers checked but can't recall the thread sorry.
GMAT Club Bot