Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Drastic decline in score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi SonGoku,

Since you are not planning to apply to Business School for a couple of years, you have plenty of time to continue studying - which is good. Unfortunately, you will likely need far more study time than you have allotted (for your August Test Date), so you might want to consider pushing that Test Date back. There's no 'harm' in taking the Exam at that point, but you could save some money - and some frustration - by rescheduling.

As far as the variations in your Test Scores are concerned, it's important to remember that Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. As such, we should examine how you took each of your practice CATs:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? What time did you take the Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you take any of these CATs BEFORE? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Drastic decline in score [#permalink]
HI EMPOWERgmatRichC

1. Till now i have taken every cat excluding essay at a time. Because i was so desperate that i want to see the improvement of the whole work that i have done the whole week.These thoughts are coming frequently while writing the exam.
2.yes i always take the exam at home.
3.Except the latest exam, which i took in the morning,Every other exam i took till now are in the evenings.
4.No
5.Not a single question that i have seen till now every cat is different from the other cats.Because all these exams are of different companies.I'm sure that i have not seen a single repeat.

I feel like taking cats once every three days.Because Till now i used to prepare that particular topic completely and then i have given cats. So when taking the cats if i get 1 mistake in the topic that i had prepared to the full,what should i do? Do i need to consider that topic as one of my weak areas and prepare again? I was unable to figure out what to do.

please clear my Missing clarity and clumsiness and please suggest me how to improve in social science passages because i'm weak in that topic.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SonGoku,

I am sorry to know that you could not perform as well as you had hoped in the test. But do not be demotivated, instead, rise like a phoenix! Take this test as a stepping stone in your endeavor to reach your target score.
    • Richa followed a methodical approach and improved from 470 to 720 (V16 to V39). Click here to learn how she achieved this feat.

How to bounce back?

The problem that you are facing is common amongst people who use books to study. The problem here is that because of the nature of the medium(books), it is very difficult for you to get feedback on how much you are grasping or whether you are applying the concepts properly. Books traditionally focus only on imparting conceptual knowledge. GMAT, on the other hand, is a test of logic and reasoning abilities of a student. To score well on GMAT, you must be strong in fundamentals and have a structured, repeatable, and reliable process. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to study and improve.
    1. Askul tried coaching institutes and books but could not improve. Finally, following a structured approach and repeatable application process helped him to improve from a (520)V17 to (710)V40. Click here to read his de-brief.
    2. Chintan gave too many mocks on his first attempt and ended up getting only a 630. In his second attempt, he realized his mistake, followed a methodical approach, got his fundamentals strong and improved to a 710. Click here to read his de-brief.

Attend the free RC webinar this weekend

We are conducting a free RC webinar this weekend. Register now to reserve your spot and learn the methods to get ahead in your RC prep.

Get Access to the course Aksul and Chintan used

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.

Check out our Video concept files.

1. Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
    2. Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of an RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SonGoku,

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot