It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 17:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ds:remainder

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Location: Vienna, Austria
ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 03:11
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

guys

What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 8?

1. when x is divided by 12, the remainder is 5.
2. when x is divided by 18, the remainder is 7.


is it C or E ?

cheers

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [1], given: 0

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 03:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
It will be E.

From stmt1: x = 12a + 5 for a = 0,1,2,3,4,......
From stmt2: x = 18b + 7 for b = 0,1,2,3,......

Combining two, 12a + 5 = 18b + 7, or 12a = 18b + 2 or, 6a = 9b + 1
or, a = (9b+1)/(2*3)

Thus, in order for a to be an integer, 9b+1 should have 2 and 3 as its factors. But, that will never be possible as if any number n has a set of factors, these will not be the factors of (n+1). Accordingly, 9b has 3 as the factor, hence 9b+1 will not have 3 as the factor and accordingly, a will not be an integer.

Hence, even after combining stmt1 and stmt2, we will not get a common number.. Hence, insufficient.

Kudos [?]: 279 [1], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1034

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 1

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 06:36
scthakur wrote:
Thus, in order for a to be an integer, 9b+1 should have 2 and 3 as its factors. But, that will never be possible as if any number n has a set of factors, these will not be the factors of (n+1). Accordingly, 9b has 3 as the factor, hence 9b+1 will not have 3 as the factor and accordingly, a will not be an integer.


Thanks scthakur .... I really never know this property .......... +1!
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 09:25
domleon wrote:
guys

What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 8?

1. when x is divided by 12, the remainder is 5.
2. when x is divided by 18, the remainder is 7.


is it C or E ?

cheers


Seem the question is wrong (or misleading) because any integer, x, when divided by 12 has reminder 5 cannot have reminder 7 when the same integer is divided by 18. the reminder could be 5 or 11 or 17. none can be reminder when x is divided by 18.

so this is a flawed question.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1034

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 1

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 09:42
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Seem the question is wrong (or misleading) because any integer, x, when divided by 12 has reminder 5 cannot have reminder 7 when the same integer is divided by 18. the reminder could be 5 or 11 or 17. none can be reminder when x is divided by 18.

so this is a flawed question.


Can you explain a bit more :( I seem to get the point but only partially .....
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 13:00
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Seem the question is wrong (or misleading) because any integer, x, when divided by 12 has reminder 5 cannot have reminder 7 when the same integer is divided by 18. the reminder could be 5 or 11 or 17. none can be reminder when x is divided by 18.

so this is a flawed question.


Can you explain a bit more :( I seem to get the point but only partially .....


I meant to say X cannot have 2 values. As per the statements 1 and 2, x has 2 values and thats, as per GMAT standard, is substandard.

You do not get such questions in real test.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 22:38
GMAT TIGER wrote:
domleon wrote:
guys

What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 8?

1. when x is divided by 12, the remainder is 5.
2. when x is divided by 18, the remainder is 7.


is it C or E ?

cheers


Seem the question is wrong (or misleading) because any integer, x, when divided by 12 has reminder 5 cannot have reminder 7 when the same integer is divided by 18. the reminder could be 5 or 11 or 17. none can be reminder when x is divided by 18.

so this is a flawed question.



GT, what you say is right only when x is common between stmt1 and stmt2. But, if x is not common between stmt1 and stmt2, then what you say may not be true.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2472

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:14
scthakur wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
domleon wrote:
guys

What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 8?

1. when x is divided by 12, the remainder is 5.
2. when x is divided by 18, the remainder is 7.


is it C or E ?

cheers


Seem the question is wrong (or misleading) because any integer, x, when divided by 12 has reminder 5 cannot have reminder 7 when the same integer is divided by 18. the reminder could be 5 or 11 or 17. none can be reminder when x is divided by 18.

so this is a flawed question.



GT, what you say is right only when x is common between stmt1 and stmt2. But, if x is not common between stmt1 and stmt2, then what you say may not be true.


I said this only in the context of this question. But if x is not common between stmt1 and stmt2, then what I said is also true cuz I have not said anything when the scenerio changes. :wink:
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: ds:remainder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 22:36
GMAT TIGER wrote:
I said this only in the context of this question. But if x is not common between stmt1 and stmt2, then what I said is also true cuz I have not said anything when the scenerio changes. :wink:


Well, even in the context of this question,
stmt1 gives x = 5,17, 29, .....
stmt2 gives x = 7, 25, 43, ......

and the question is independently giving values of x in statement 1 and in statement 2. Why should the two statements provide a common value (if this is what you meant)?

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: ds:remainder   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2008, 22:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ds:remainder

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.