Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Thank you aaudetat. Appreciate the response. I visited Duke last Monday and liked the school culture.

aaudetat wrote:
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
Can someone let me know how the national reputation for Duke is like...

From where I sit - a FY student at Duke MBA program - I think it's pretty good stuff.

Here's why:

Duke is especially well-known for marketing (#2, behind Kellogg) social impact (top 10 - don't remember exactly), and HSM. Overall, we're a well-regarded general mgt school.

We get lots of recruiters from all industries and from all parts of the country. The Big 3 in consulting, the big dogs of finance, the major CPGs, etc, all recruit here.

Our students work in companies all over the country. We've got a decent distribution, though it is, I am sure, no surprise that the south, mid-atlantic, and northeast take most of our graduates. We've got 12, 13 and 15 % abroad, the west, and the midwest. (Only about 7% in the Texas-y part of the country.)

And, of course, we're Duke. Duke's a well-known university with strength at both the undergrad and grad levels.

So that's my VERY biased opinion. In spite of our recent slide in the rankings, we've got a solid national brand.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
Thank you aaudetat. Appreciate the response. I visited Duke last Monday and liked the school culture.

R3 applicant, or super-on-the-ball for next year??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Well I am back! Actually, I got back late Tuesday night, but I've been busy since then. Quick notes: I LOVED USC! Seriously, the visit was wonderful. Sat in on a global strategy class discussing the Russian oil market, and I found the discussion extremely lively and interesting. First day there ended up sleeping 16 hours (went for a nap at 4PM, woke up at 8AM..oops!), but Sunday I went to Hollywood and Highland, did some sightseeing and shopping, ate lunch at the Pig N' Whistle, then dinner at LA Prime. Monday, took a cab (seriously, I don't remember cab rides being as expensive as they were in LA) to USC, walked around campus for awhile, then did the info session and class visit. Overall, I loved every minute of it!

I'll post a more detailed recap, including everything said to us in the info session, when I get some more time. Oh, and to anyone who was with me during the info session (11:15AM with Veronica) or class visit (12:30, Global Strategy), it was good talking to you all!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Omne wrote:
Well I am back! Actually, I got back late Tuesday night, but I've been busy since then. Quick notes: I LOVED USC! Seriously, the visit was wonderful. Sat in on a global strategy class discussing the Russian oil market, and I found the discussion extremely lively and interesting. First day there ended up sleeping 16 hours (went for a nap at 4PM, woke up at 8AM..oops!), but Sunday I went to Hollywood and Highland, did some sightseeing and shopping, ate lunch at the Pig N' Whistle, then dinner at LA Prime. Monday, took a cab (seriously, I don't remember cab rides being as expensive as they were in LA) to USC, walked around campus for awhile, then did the info session and class visit. Overall, I loved every minute of it!

I'll post a more detailed recap, including everything said to us in the info session, when I get some more time. Oh, and to anyone who was with me during the info session (11:15AM with Veronica) or class visit (12:30, Global Strategy), it was good talking to you all!

If you were this fascinated by USC, I highly recommend you take some time to visit UCLA. UCLA's campus/neighborhood/curriculum blows it away, and to boot it is cheaper than USC's program. Cabs out here are expensive - that's just a fact of life in LA. You will require a car if you want to live out here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Sounds like a great trip Omne! From the sounds of it, UCLA should be even more interesting, as that's the impression I got from visiting both campuses (not the business school per se for USC).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Harvard, Wharton,Kellogg, followed by INSEAD,LBS followed by Rotman. and Ivey

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Taking GMAT (Apr 26th), researching different program strengths. Specifically I'm looking at programs providing strong mobility to career changers and with a long term view to moving to Indial.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Examining the blogosphere and forums to learn that there are a multitude of accomplished people competing against me.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Fairly serious although given my age I may decide to push it out by a year such that both me and my wife can go together.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Hi Folks,

After postponing my apps for a year (with an intervening marriage, and a good career break that hopefully bolsters my application..) I am ready to jump back into the application process.

1) What schools are on your list right now? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton. MIT Sloan, Kellog, Haas, INSEAD and IMD. I am still thinking about the R1 R2 strategy.. am also wondering if i am being too ambitious in my apps..none of these feel like a "safety" school. !

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Did the GMAT last year, managed a 770. Doing some introspection now into what I want to do after doing the MBA.(Stick to Industry? Try to move to IB/consulting ?)

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? I am going to have to really work hard on developing my "arc". and expressing it well in the essay.. Co ordinating the MBA with my spouse's career is also going to be very difficult since we are in very different industries..

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious...Have already discussed it with my employer and lined up potential recommenders. I am planning to visit US campuses in July with my spouse...Not sure if classes would be ongoing in the summer ? May have to go earlier..

ALL the best to everyone guys !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Good luck mate although I reckon classes wont be in session in the summer. I too missed the boat on that one.

ashaker wrote:
Hi Folks,

After postponing my apps for a year (with an intervening marriage, and a good career break that hopefully bolsters my application..) I am ready to jump back into the application process.

1) What schools are on your list right now? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton. MIT Sloan, Kellog, Haas, INSEAD and IMD. I am still thinking about the R1 R2 strategy.. am also wondering if i am being too ambitious in my apps..none of these feel like a "safety" school. !

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Did the GMAT last year, managed a 770. Doing some introspection now into what I want to do after doing the MBA.(Stick to Industry? Try to move to IB/consulting ?)

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? I am going to have to really work hard on developing my "arc". and expressing it well in the essay.. Co ordinating the MBA with my spouse's career is also going to be very difficult since we are in very different industries..

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious...Have already discussed it with my employer and lined up potential recommenders. I am planning to visit US campuses in July with my spouse...Not sure if classes would be ongoing in the summer ? May have to go earlier..

ALL the best to everyone guys !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now?
Stanford, Haas... some place that does not freeze.

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
Took the GMAT 3 years ago for my public policy app(1 week study). Currently preparing for a 700+ GMAT run.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
Reading the ding/accepted/WL posts.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
Not very... but I have time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Maple wrote:
Stanford, Haas... some place that does not freeze.

LOL! quoted for truth. :lol:

let me know if you need to know anything about Haas (and STanford) this fall.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
I finally got around to posting my trip recap, the link is in my signature.

As far as summer visits: I'll be doing a few, and from what the AdCom at USC said, they are always open for people to walk in and visit. You just miss out on a class visit or speaking with many students
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Insead and the others: HEC, IE, Esade, Oxford and Cambridge

Taking the GMAT some time in June/July
Started to write Insead essays and downloaded the other applications

Nothing really "scary", a few problems that every applicant has: will I be able to finance it? who can I ask for rec's? can I really handle the workload of b-school? etc.. etc..

90%. The other 10% are the scenario whereby I change my mind and take the Chartered Accountant course and exam. In the event whereby I got ding's only, I will go for CA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Chicago, Columbia, Stern, Tuck , Yale and Cornell

Took the GMAT once and just broke past 700. Given that I am an Indian I will be part of the competitive pool, therefore retaking the GMAT.
Also, giving CFA1, as I want to transition from management consulting to IB and want to show in my apps that I have done my homework regarding finance
Started to write draft personal statements essays and researching school. Yet to reach out to professors/alumni fully.

I think I have a solidified story, but the scariest part of the whole application is knowing your 'own worth'. It is easy for me to think that if I execute well, I have a shot at the schools listed above. But the reality may be something different. What makes sense to me may not make sense to the adcomm in terms of my career aspirations. Also, given that the applications are expected to rocket up next year, its a little disconcerting that my best may not be good enough.
Of course, leaving my current comfort zone of work and income to go back to college life and being broke and under debt is scary as well!!

It is the only thing I think about.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Johnson, Ross, Darden, McCombs...maybe Columbia, MIT, Wharton.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Retaking GMAT in a month or two. Took it a year ago, scored 700, but did not prepare properly at all. I have a weak undergrad transcript that I would like to counter with an amazing GMAT. We'll see

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Trying to figure out what level of delusion is necessary to take a look at schools like Columbia, MIT, and Wharton. Finding recs will also be a little more difficult as I own a business and have not remained in consistant contact with former employers.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100%
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? in no order: MIT, Duke, Chicago, Columbia, HBS, Stanford, Wharton; am still considering Cornell, Tuck, Kellogg; yes the list is still getting sorted out.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Took the GMAT, got a 760 (yay); working on amping up the extracurriculars. I just really have one - don't think it'll be sufficient by itself. Short-term goals also include creating the list of schools, figuring out when to go visit.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Trying to figure out my "story" and how to best explain why I want the MBA at this point in the career.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? #1 priority! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
dghazer wrote:
Finding recs will also be a little more difficult as I own a business and have not remained in consistant contact with former employers.

Use your clients as recommenders.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
dghazer wrote:
Finding recs will also be a little more difficult as I own a business and have not remained in consistant contact with former employers.

Use your clients as recommenders.

That's what I have been thinking about. Is this considered acceptable by most schools? Also, what about a recommendation from my banker? Is that a possibility?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11