Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm definitely with ya on the passion part. I'm starting to care less and less about what's going on under the hood (ie. the nitty gritty technical details)....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, that's how I came to the realization that engineering is no longer what i wanted to do. No nitty gritty stuff, just the high level please. =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you think only engineering has boring mind-numbing acronyms? wait til u find out about rWACC, ROI and NPV.

Then you won't find it so sunny in MBA town...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
you think only engineering has boring mind-numbing acronyms? wait til u find out about rWACC, ROI and NPV.

Then you won't find it so sunny in MBA town...

It's not the same - in engineering you're often endlessly arguing about acronym-labelled technical details that nobody cares about or knows exist except technical people. :roll: That's the part that really gets me. 90% of things you design, no matter how brilliant, go unnoticed.

At least with rWACC, ROI, NPV you're dealing with details that people and stakeholders and shareholders will want to know about.... :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I am not a software engineer but I definitely have had my fill of engineering. I like what I do at the moment but the way the structure is at my job I am not going to move up for another 15 years.

Thats kind of where I am at. I still like what I do, but I am at a point where it will take years for someone to quit or retire before I get a shot to move up.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I am not a software engineer but I definitely have had my fill of engineering. I like what I do at the moment but the way the structure is at my job I am not going to move up for another 15 years.

Thats kind of where I am at. I still like what I do, but I am at a point where it will take years for someone to quit or retire before I get a shot to move up.

I think it’s very common for engineering. You hit that plateau anywhere from 4-7 years in where you career is just going to stay there for another decade or two. My wife is in software and they have a lot more levels than we do at my job…at least title wise. Here there is entry level, working level, lead engineers, mid level management and then senior management. I am the youngest lead in my area but still I wouldn’t have a shot at a management position until I am in my 40s.

I talked with the head of our department and he sounded enthusiastic about me going back. Both his brothers have MBAs and he said if he was going to do it all over again he would have gotten his when he was my age. He basically told me no matter how qualified you are where I work seniority does come in to affect with promotions to management positions (the fact that it’s a government job and has a union plays a part in this). If I got promoted at 30 people with seniority would file grievances with the union...even if you are the best person from the job it happens.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If I hear the word C++, EJB, ESB one more time ......
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]