Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:53 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: ESR Analysis PLEASE [700+ all mocks -> 660 OFFICIAL] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi pepethefrog,

Did you end up completing all of TTP quant?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ESR Analysis PLEASE [700+ all mocks -> 660 OFFICIAL] [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi pepethefrog,

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep, yes I did end up completing all of it in terms of the lessons/questions per lesson + 80% of the practice tests I believe.
But it was all done under a month so a little rushed / a lot of content to get through.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
For Verbal, working on time management may be helpful if, for example, you felt you were rushing during Q4. The average time spent during the first 3 quarters was roughly 2 minutes but during Q4 it was 1:34. If you feel your fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hour student who went from a v31 to a v40 in about 30 days. Perhaps work with a study buddy who is really strong on Verbal.

5 Verbal tips
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
pepethefrog wrote:
Hi everyone, basically the title explains it.

ESR here https://www.docdroid.net/We4bElp/esr-pdf
January raw mock 1: 620

So I started studying:

Did 1 month of TTP only math (about 5-7 hours per day)
    GMAT ninja verbal videos
    Bought the official GMAT question banks too (has around ~800 official questions I think). Did all of the math and as many verbal as possible.

I had taken all the other five practice tests:

May Mock 2: 720 | V 39 Q 49

June Mock 3: 730 | V 41 Q 49

July Mock 4: 710 | V 40 Q 47

July Mock 5: 710 | V 41 Q 46

July Mock 6: 720 | V 41 Q 48

Then, official test day at end of July:
660 V 35 Q 47
V percentile: 74
Q percentile: 54

I guess my question is where did I go wrong. I see my verbal score is much lower than my mocks, but still a higher percentile than my quantitative score at the 54th percentile.

Feel like I did everything I read on reddit as well: do TTP, do Manhattan, do GMAT ninja. I didn't feel overly nervous either. The reading passages were definitely longer but I felt like I understood everything. As for quant, I honestly thought it was quite hard- hence why I'm confused how I got a higher quant score than verbal.

Any advice on how to go forward would be helpful. I'm willing to look into private tutoring via Manhattan or whatever is needed.

In both Quant and Verbal, there were a few questions in which you took less time; they were easy; but you got them wrong anyway. Perhaps you overlooked something simple? This happened in the first quarter in Verbal and you never recovered after that, getting the hard questions incorrect while easier ones correct. You did spend equal time on both correct as well as incorrect questions so that is ok. To improve your Verbal score, you should practice more 650+ level questions.

In Quant, your performance in DS is far worse than that in PS and you have taken less time in DS. Is it because you feel more comfortable with PS format and try to rush through the DS? Try an only DS questions practice exercise and give yourself enough time (avg 2 mins) and see if your performance improves. Focus on Algebra and Number Properties to improve your score and try to allocate same time to each quarter. You did take some extra time in quarters 1 and 2 which left less time for quarters 3 and 4 (though it didn't have much impact on your overall score). In quarters 3 and 4, you spent more time on harder questions and got them wrong anyway. Since they were harder, the penalty was not high. When a question seems hard and doesn't seem to be working out, let it go in a timely manner.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pepethefrog,

Focusing on the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. In that same way, assuming that you plan to apply to some highly-competitive Schools in the future, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
pepethefrog wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi pepethefrog,

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep, yes I did end up completing all of it in terms of the lessons/questions per lesson + 80% of the practice tests I believe.
But it was all done under a month so a little rushed / a lot of content to get through.

Yes, that was very quick! I mean at this point, it may make sense to take another pass at TTP quant. I think there is probably a lot of material that did not quite sink in.
GMAT Club Bot