Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Re: 720 Q47 V41 ---> 11 days ---> 760 Q50, V47 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
Wow. Amazing!
Who do you think has changed? What do you feel? Has contributed either to the score bump or the score drop in the previous attempt? I know it’s hard to get a feeling, but is it just coming down to a bad attempt and a good attempt?

What changed?

I always practiced in my room after 5 pm vs test center in the morning. So environment and time now matched training conditions. Test center was loud and really cold to the point I was shivering at times. Comfort was definitely higher.
ESR helped me see that I was perhaps being very inconsistent with my process in the verbal section. In part, resetting my mindset with GMATNinja and MartyTargetTestPrep videos about approach (4 wrong answers, process of elimination).
Slowing down and not relying on gut or randomly picking between the last two.

I feel great! I also realized that the previous 720 was absolutely fine, especially if I invested effort into the essays. So having that fallback probably removed some pressure.

Is it just a good attempt vs a bad attempt?
Yes and no.
The level of comfort and stress definitely played a role in the performance. I might have gotten fewer questions targeted at my weak spots? At the end of the day, though, it was me who got the 720 - not the environment.
I have always believed that an important portion of the standardized testing process is being at ease when the test comes. I've seen peers much more knowledgeable fail professional exams that I passed. They let the exam get to them.
I had scored consistently higher on the practice exams, but the stressful conditions brought out old habits (perhaps).

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63691 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Holy crap, congrats on the great score! And that increase is truly impressive -- I'm honored that we could help a bit, but I think the 10-day vacation might have been a bigger factor. 😃

Good luck with your applications, and let us know where you end up!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Moving this to Share GMAT Experience sub-forum and tweaking the first post with some updates.
Thx again for sharing onamusing
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on the score.

I’m not a huge evaluator for school reports, just have a few tips for your retake. First of all, don’t ignore your strengths and spend at least a little bit of time making sure they’re fresh and tidy and ready to go.

Getting a high verbal score is a lot of times a combination of luck, depending on what questions you get, and as you noticed, you have to get a lot of them correct to get a high verbal score. I admire your ability to get that high, but as you can see missing one question can make or break a score at that level.

PS. I would make sure you know how to solve the geometry question you ran into. I’m not saying you will see that question again, but it’s good to have that base covered in case something similar pops up.

Hopefully you get better environmental set up and don’t be so much impacted by the door and the air conditioning. I would highly recommend dressing in layers and you can always takeoff a sweatshirt or a sweater.

Finally, I know you know this, but don’t try to compare your test performance with the past test performance. Don’t try to benchmark yourself or feel that you’ve ruined it and you should just give up. And it’s very hard to get a sense of how you’re doing on the test because it is adaptive and a lot of people underestimate how old are doing or the other way around but either way, one thing for sure, you will never increase your score by worrying about it.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats on the score.

PS. I would make sure you know how to solve the geometry question you ran into. I’m not saying you will see that question again, but it’s good to have that base covered in case something similar pops up.

Thanks bb!
I actually figured out that geometry question, but spent about 2-3 minutes on the dumb approach, and another 1 on the right one. I ended up rushing through the last 4 questions, so it did impact me later. I might have missed another geometry and algebra, though.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
720 Q47 V41
plan is to retake online in about 11 days.
My goal would be a V44+
Any tips, or thoughts?

In addition to working on the parts of CR you think you may be a bit slippery on, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hour student who went from a V41 to a V45 in about 10 days. Perhaps work with a study buddy with strong Verbal skills. Some CR tips on the gmatknight website you may find helpful as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi onamusing,

First off, a 720/Q47 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in retaking the GMAT though (especially since you've been given a voucher to do so). Before we discuss the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the Official CATS?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30807 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, onamusing,

First of all, congratulations on scoring a 720. Your ESR has some good actionable intel. I've recorded a video message to share my observations and recommendation on your score improvement. Here is the link -

onamusing_ESR Analysis - Watch Video

Here is the summary of the video -

1. To get to a 750, you can aim for a V42 Q50 or if you can aim for a V44, Q48/49
  2. In Verbal, You must improve in the Construction and Plan type of CR questions. Here is an article that can help you in this regard. You should try to reach the 90th percentile in CR. It should take you about 10 hours.
  3. You must improve in the Number Properties and Algebra sections of Quant (precisely identify the weak areas and improve upon them - learn the concepts and build the skills to apply them). Getting to a Q49/Q50 will take about 40+ hours of effort.
    • In Arithmetic, aim for a 80+ percentile ability and in Algebra/Geometry aim for 70+ percentile ability.

By the way, here are a couple of case studies that might help -

700 to 760 in 3 weeks
700 to 740 in 16 days

Hope this helps!
-Sundeep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi onamusing,

Regarding quant timing on the GMAT, I think you now know that you can't "overspend" on even one question, or it can severely affect your GMAT quant score.

Regarding what you can do to improve your quant score in the next week, you may find it helpful to engage in topical quant practice.

For example, let’s say that you want to practice Number Properties. You can do so by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc.
After each problem set, thoroughly analyze your incorrect questions. For example, if you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question?

By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to fix your weaknesses efficiently and, in turn, improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. Amazing!
Who do you think has changed? What do you feel? Has contributed either to the score bump or the score drop in the previous attempt? I know it’s hard to get a feeling, but is it just coming down to a bad attempt and a good attempt?

onamusing wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep egmat GmatTutorKnight bb MartyTargetTestPrep

Hi all!
Took the test online in the comfort of my home and the result was much better.
I took a 10-11 day vacation after the test-center attempt, did another official practice test and reviewed a little for another 3-4 days:

Q49
V45
IR8

This definitely feels more aligned with my official practice test results, so I am satisfied with the outcome. I think the results were largely driven by a better test environment and more awareness of my weaknesses - given there was little additional study.
Indirect thank you to GMATNinja whose verbal series on YT is fantastic
Many thanks to MartyTargetTestPrep - that link served as good booster
Now I shall continue with the rest of the apps
Cheers to all!

Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
onamusing wrote:
Hi all!
I took a 10-11 day vacation after the test-center attempt, did another official practice test and reviewed a little for another 3-4 days:

Q49
V45
IR8

Nice work!

Quote:

Great! It's so fun to have been able to help you rock the test.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30807 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
onamusing wrote:

Hi all!

Q49
V45
IR8

This definitely feels more aligned with my official practice test results, so I am satisfied with the outcome. I think the results were largely driven by a better test environment and more awareness of my weaknesses - given there was little additional study.
Indirect thank you to GMATNinja whose verbal series on YT is fantastic
Now I shall continue with the rest of the apps
Cheers to all!

Hey onamusing

Many congratulations on that phenomenal achievement! All the best for the next leg of your journey!

Regards,

Abhishek
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi onamusing

760 is a great score. Many Congratulations!

All the very best for your applications. Feel free to reach out if you need any help with the same :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts