Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 09:50 It is currently 09 May 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Re: Evaluate my profile pls [#permalink]
rayparlour wrote:
Generally look at the professor's interest in research. DO NOT USE RANKINGS because if none of the professors at that school is researching what you want its kinda pointless to apply.

Generally the cutting edge schools include Michigan, Univ of Washington, Univ of Iowa, Ohio State, and UGA.

You're right about your first point, but then you add a rather arbitrary (and definitely debatable) list that kind of defeats the purpose. Would you mind to back it up?

To the OP -- When I was trying to figure out where to apply, I used two sources of info: 1) a very general B-school ranking (B-week), and 2) an academic paper that measured research productivity (I can't think of a reference right now but I can look it up if needed). Then I went and looked at the CV/personal webpage of all accounting faculty that were at those schools at the time. Whenever there was some kind of fit with one or more faculty members, I kept the school on the shortlist.

Your academic credentials look fine, but it'd probably be too risky to apply only to top-10 schools (e.g. Stanford, Wharton, Chicago..) with a 710 GMAT. If getting to the very best school possible is really important, you may want to retake it. Else, you may want to look for great faculty members at good (but not great) schools, and contact them to see whether they'd be available to help you out. There is a lot of movement among good b-schools so you want to make sure the professor you're targeting isn't going somewhere else before you get there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
From the PAR report of Doctoral those are up there on top 10 or so.

I was providing a list of schools to look into that is cutting edge in research and funding, not necessarily where he would choose to go.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys thanks for replying to my profile,

just two things that I would like you to keep in mind:

1. I need a university which may offer me a good financial aid package,
2. also given my interest in consultancy, I would like that in the future I will be able to combine my accademic career with some consultancy work. Given this, I think university branding apart from research quality may be important. What are your views on this?

Universities I had been considering included cornell, chicago, berkeley, yale and outside the US - the london business school.

Notwithstanding the above, I think that the 'ideal' university would be stanford under the guidance of Prof Barth. However, I dont think I stand a chance of being selected. What you think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Most academic appointments are 9 months. Therefore you can supplement your income over the summer by teaching researching or other.

some professors have their own consulting or provide expertise to corporations. It depends on your background and experience.

You are looking only at private schools. In accounting there are some great public universities that are better than private ones.

Apply apply apply. Worst case is a "NO".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,

on an other note what do you think about approaching professors with a draft research proposal prior to applying to universities. Is such practice frowned upon by US universities or conversely it is encouraged.

Cabro from you're replies it seems you are currently reading a phd in accounting. I am eager to know how has been the application process for yourself and any tips you think are useful for a successful application for a phd in accounting.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
jamtam2000 wrote:
Guys,

on an other note what do you think about approaching professors with a draft research proposal prior to applying to universities. Is such practice frowned upon by US universities or conversely it is encouraged.

Cabro from you're replies it seems you are currently reading a phd in accounting. I am eager to know how has been the application process for yourself and any tips you think are useful for a successful application for a phd in accounting.

thanks

1) Research proposal = you need to have some idea of your interests, but having more than a very general statement of those interests will likely look as either pretentious or naive. A big point of the PhD program is to figure out what has been done before and how your skill set could improve current knowledge, so if you apply with a specific project in mind there's a good chance that either (1) it's been done before, or (2) it's impossible to do. Knowing whether you want to study executive compensation or earnings management rather than auditing, standard setting or financial analysts is fine but you want to look like someone who knows how it works.

2) I will hopefully be graduating from an Accounting PhD program this fall. I ultimately applied to 5 schools (a low number I think), was accepted at 3 (including my safety school) and rejected at 2 others. I had contacted professors whose interests seemed to match mine at all 5 of those schools (and some more). Factors that I think worked for me at the 3 places I was accepted to: a good GMAT score (760), some (small but still) past research experience -- a research essay as part of my Master's degree, a good SOP, past positive experiences at those schools with graduates from my alma mater (2nd tier Canadian school). Factors that worked against me at the 2 places from which I got rejections: my alma mater, unknown references from that alma mater, weak background in Economics (summary Linear Algebra stuff but no Econometrics or graduate Microeconomics), who knows.

As far as the application process itself, it went fairly well, and I got the feeling that whenever I actually got interviews it was already in the bag (I got offers from the 3 schools that interviewed me but those really weren't very tough interviews).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4414 posts