Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 18:01 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 18:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  45   
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Admissions to Host Public Policy Panel on the Value of an MBA [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Darden Admissions to Host Public Policy Panel on the Value of an MBA
Public policy is top of mind year-round, but perhaps never more so than during election season. Developing global leaders is at the heart of Darden’s mission, and a successful intersection between business and government continues to be a priority for constituencies around the world.

Next Thursday, 12 November, Darden Admissions will host an online event exploring the value of an MBA for policy professionals. The session is open to both full-time and executive MBA candidates, and will feature a number of Darden alumni who currently have careers in public policy or who have put their MBA to work translating between business and politics. Sign up here for the event.

For candidates from policy backgrounds, an MBA can be many things — a meaningful educational differentiator, a skillset that allows graduates to translate between business and political constituencies, an important developmental opportunity that makes students more effective managers and leaders, a credential that expands potential career paths — the list goes on.

Next week’s session will feature insights from a number of recent Executive MBA alumni, including:

Laura Pettus (GEMBA ’18), Director of Budget and Finance, US Dept. of Commerce/Nat’l Telecomm. & Info. Admin.

Freddy Barnes (EMBA ’19), U.S. Public Policy, Tik Tok

Paul Kohnstamm (EMBA ’20), Administrative Director for Senator Tammy Duckworth

Zack Golden (EMBA ’20), Client Service Director, Dyson Capital Advisors

Alison R. Williams (EMBA ’15), Chief of Staff, Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson

Fun fact: Several of the panelists have been guests on The ExecMBA Podcast. Learn a bit more about their backgrounds and experiences during our 1-1 podcast conversations:

Alison Williams (EMBA ‘15): Ep. 135

What’s it like to be a Chief of Staff? Alison shares thoughts about how her Darden experience shapes and informs her work as Chief of Staff for Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson.

Paul Kohnstamm (EMBA ‘20): Ep. 88

Paul is Administrative Director for Illinois Senator Tammy Duckworth, and in this episode he makes the case for an MBA for policy professionals and offers tips for candidates from less quantitatively-oriented backgrounds.

Zack Golden (EMBA ‘20): Ep. 87

Before transitioning to an investment advisory firm, Zack spent several years working for Virginia Senator Mark Warner. Hear his thoughts on identifying the right time to pursue an MBA.

Darden Executive MBA Students in Politics: Ep. 34

This episode features conversations with several politicos from recent Executive MBA classes: Julie Lasseter (EMBA ‘18), Steve Gilleland (EMBA ‘19) and Freddy Barnes (EMBA ‘19) share reflections on how an MBA can fill in technical gaps and create career options for policy professionals.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post Darden Admissions to Host Public Policy Panel on the Value of an MBA first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs
Today’s post authored by Second Year student Daniel Weidman (Class of 2021). Weidman is a member of the Second Year Admissions Committee, a group of students who work alongside Darden’s Admissions team to recruit future classes of MBA students. This group of students also serves as informal ambassadors to the Darden experience, lending their own knowledge and expertise to prospective students and applicants.

By Daniel Weidman:

In addition to top-notch classes, esteemed faculty, and a unique learning experience, Darden offers a host of clubs, groups, and extracurricular organizations in which you can (and should!) choose to be a participate. These organizations may be related to careers, technical areas, interests, lifestyles, and many more. During your first year at Darden, you should participate in as many as you can to get the richest experience that the school has to offer. When your second year rolls around, you will get the chance to take the reigns from the previous year’s student leadership and make the

Daniel Weidman, Class of 2021
experience as good, or even better, for the subsequent class of students!

Throughout Darden’s history, there have been dozens of organizations that have been created and carried on, but that doesn’t mean that every area of interest has been addressed. If you find that there is an unmet area that no current organization addresses, the support to fill that gap is readily available. Pranav Dalmia is a Second Year student who recently started Business Ethics at Darden (B.E.D.). I sat down with him to learn more about this new organization and the process that he went through to bring it to life.

Daniel: Could you tell me a little bit about why you chose to start Business Ethics at Darden?

Pranav: I was aware even before I arrived at Darden that it was one of the leaders among business schools in promoting a unified conception of business and ethics. That was one idea that I was really interested in exploring. My curiosity stemmed in large part from the dominant influence that business and philosophy have had in my life.

When I arrived here I spoke to faculty who were thought leaders in the field and learned about the amount of research that they’d done, and the impact that they’ve had, but realized there wasn’t a student organization that was engaging with those ideas to promote them in a way that might have some more impact in the student community, and I thought – why not take that on myself? And voila! The Business Ethics club was founded.

Daniel: And Voila! So from the time when you had the idea, until you formed the club, how long did it take and how much effort did you put into it?

Pranav: I got the conversations started 3-4 months into arriving at Darden. I spoke to the Office of Student Affairs and got the green light that they were okay with the idea, and I started having informal chats with some of our faculty. They also encouraged me to go ahead with the idea, so I knew their support was there as well. But I had these conversations in either November or December, and then things got really crazy with recruiting, interviews, and COVID, and I put it on hold for a few months until I found the time to take it up again.

The process after that was to present the idea of the club and the events we would engage in. After getting those materials together, and finding a faculty advisor, I went to present my pitch to the rest of the club presidents who put the decision to a vote. If you get a majority of the votes, the club is founded. From what I’ve heard, club presidents rarely vote against a new club.

Finally, you’re ready to start working to get the club off the ground by recruiting other students for club leadership and then planning out the year together.

Daniel: What were the financial aspects you had to consider when founding the club?

Pranav: During the approval process, you do need to show that the club has enough financial resources to support the activities that it’s going to be engaging. Now, Darden and UVA provide a lot of support on that front, but you do need to create a budget and a projection for the next few years in terms of the club being financially viable.

Daniel: What are some core aspects that you want the club to carry and hold onto years after you have left?

Pranav: I think there’s only so much that can be done in a year, and if you want your club to do something meaningful it’s important to ensure that it’s sustainable. For me, as much as I’m interested in doing a lot of things this year, it’s almost equally important to be putting systems in place – having events that can be repeated in successive years and cultivating personnel from this year’s First Year students who can take over the leadership positions are two key objectives that are frequently top of mind.

There’s so much support from within Darden if you have an idea that appeals to you and a large group of your classmates. I’m very grateful that mine did. Once you have the right support from Darden and your fellow students, it’s fairly easy to get something great started. Once you’ve done that, your next objective should be to make it sustainable so that years later, the foundation that you established has grown.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs
Today’s post authored by Second Year student Daniel Weidman (Class of 2021). Weidman is a member of the Second Year Admissions Committee, a group of students who work alongside Darden’s Admissions team to recruit future classes of MBA students. This group of students also serves as informal ambassadors to the Darden experience, lending their own knowledge and expertise to prospective students and applicants.

By Daniel Weidman:

In addition to top-notch classes, esteemed faculty, and a unique learning experience, Darden offers a host of clubs, groups, and extracurricular organizations in which you can (and should!) choose to be a participate. These organizations may be related to careers, technical areas, interests, lifestyles, and many more. During your first year at Darden, you should participate in as many as you can to get the richest experience that the school has to offer. When your second year rolls around, you will get the chance to take the reigns from the previous year’s student leadership and make the

Daniel Weidman, Class of 2021
experience as good, or even better, for the subsequent class of students!

Throughout Darden’s history, there have been dozens of organizations that have been created and carried on, but that doesn’t mean that every area of interest has been addressed. If you find that there is an unmet area that no current organization addresses, the support to fill that gap is readily available. Pranav Dalmia is a Second Year student who recently started Business Ethics at Darden (B.E.D.). I sat down with him to learn more about this new organization and the process that he went through to bring it to life.

Daniel: Could you tell me a little bit about why you chose to start Business Ethics at Darden?

Pranav: I was aware even before I arrived at Darden that it was one of the leaders among business schools in promoting a unified conception of business and ethics. That was one idea that I was really interested in exploring. My curiosity stemmed in large part from the dominant influence that business and philosophy have had in my life.

When I arrived here I spoke to faculty who were thought leaders in the field and learned about the amount of research that they’d done, and the impact that they’ve had, but realized there wasn’t a student organization that was engaging with those ideas to promote them in a way that might have some more impact in the student community, and I thought – why not take that on myself? And voila! The Business Ethics club was founded.

Daniel: And Voila! So from the time when you had the idea, until you formed the club, how long did it take and how much effort did you put into it?

Pranav: I got the conversations started 3-4 months into arriving at Darden. I spoke to the Office of Student Affairs and got the green light that they were okay with the idea, and I started having informal chats with some of our faculty. They also encouraged me to go ahead with the idea, so I knew their support was there as well. But I had these conversations in either November or December, and then things got really crazy with recruiting, interviews, and COVID, and I put it on hold for a few months until I found the time to take it up again.

The process after that was to present the idea of the club and the events we would engage in. After getting those materials together, and finding a faculty advisor, I went to present my pitch to the rest of the club presidents who put the decision to a vote. If you get a majority of the votes, the club is founded. From what I’ve heard, club presidents rarely vote against a new club.

Finally, you’re ready to start working to get the club off the ground by recruiting other students for club leadership and then planning out the year together.

Daniel: What were the financial aspects you had to consider when founding the club?

Pranav: During the approval process, you do need to show that the club has enough financial resources to support the activities that it’s going to be engaging. Now, Darden and UVA provide a lot of support on that front, but you do need to create a budget and a projection for the next few years in terms of the club being financially viable.

Daniel: What are some core aspects that you want the club to carry and hold onto years after you have left?

Pranav: I think there’s only so much that can be done in a year, and if you want your club to do something meaningful it’s important to ensure that it’s sustainable. For me, as much as I’m interested in doing a lot of things this year, it’s almost equally important to be putting systems in place – having events that can be repeated in successive years and cultivating personnel from this year’s First Year students who can take over the leadership positions are two key objectives that are frequently top of mind.

There’s so much support from within Darden if you have an idea that appeals to you and a large group of your classmates. I’m very grateful that mine did. Once you have the right support from Darden and your fellow students, it’s fairly easy to get something great started. Once you’ve done that, your next objective should be to make it sustainable so that years later, the foundation that you established has grown.

The post Something for Everyone — Darden Students Bring Expertise to New Clubs first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students
Darden offers several dual degree programs in connection with other schools and departments at the University of Virginia. These joint degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently. Second Year students Ethan Silverman and Rachel Barnes are both MBA/JD students, and recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and Law School JDs.

Ethan Silverman (Class of 2021) MBA/JD
Hometown: San Francisco, California

Undergrad: UC Berkeley

Pre-Darden Professional Background:

Ethan Silverman, Class of 2021
Before attending UVA, I worked as a product manager at a healthcare IT startup.

Why Darden? Why a dual degree?

I attended Darden to build a toolkit of technical skills and to develop my perspective as a builder of business, a value creator, and a general manager. I knew then, and am grateful to even more fully appreciate now, how well what I’ve learned at Darden compliments my studies at UVA Law.

How are you managing the workload of two degrees?

Darden dual-degree students are integrated into the core Darden community seamlessly. In our first year at Darden, we are insulated in a firewall, doing and thinking and acting just as any Darden student does. We are all-in on community building activities, including the Darden Cup and other milestone events like 100 Case. And only after our first year at Darden do we begin, as JD/MBAs, to blend our studies between the two schools. This has been an effective structure because I was able to fully experience the rigors and joys of Darden FY without distraction, as it was meant to be experienced, and now am able to experience the harmony of my two fields of study on a day-to-day basis thanks to the blending of my academic program.

If you could go back to the start of your program, what would you do differently to get the most out of your experience?

One thing COVID has dramatically reinforced is the importance of capitalizing on every chance to come together with people I care about. I would tell my 1L/FY self to take even more advantage of opportunities to gather with my classmates, to go on adventures in Shenandoah and to local breweries and wineries. These have been the best years of my life, but shoot if I can’t think of times I wish I had rallied and gotten back up off the couch – even if I had just sat down. We live in an amazing community, an amazing part of the country, and there is just SO MUCH that we are lucky enough to have access to.

Post-MBA career plans?

To work as an attorney, counseling private equity clients primarily on M&A, in addition to some work on fund formation and debt finance.

Advice to prospective students considering dual-degree:

Proceed with caution, because it is a substantial commitment. Ask your mentors, seek out more advisors and ask them too. Reach out to current dual-degree students at your target schools, too! And, ultimately, if you have a passion for learning and are committed to taking advantage of the value of a dual-degree offering, send it. I don’t regret my decision. I haven’t spoken to someone who does.

My advice to aspiring graduate students more generally, whether a dual-degree or single degree – pursue your education at a school and in a community in which you’ll be physically and mentally healthy, happy, and see yourself thriving. Everything else will fall into place.

Rachel Barnes (Class of 2021) MBA/JD
Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Undergrad: University of Georgia

Pre-Darden Professional Background: Law

Why Darden? 

Every time I sat in on a class, I was excited by the case method. The level of student engagement is unmatched.

How are the dual-degree students integrated in the main Darden cohort?

Dual degree students are treated just like everyone else. We are in sections with other students and can participate in everything Darden has to offer.

You have to be clear on your priorities. Dual degree or not, you cannot go to everything. So knowing what your goals and priorities are can help

Rachel Barnes, Class of 2021
balance work and other events and obligations.

How have you utilized your dual-degree and leveraged your connections at each school in your internship/job search process?

During this past summer, because of my dual degree, I was able to do a joint internship between a law firm and in-house at a company. It was a very valuable experience.

If you could go back to the start of your program, what would you do differently to get the most out of your experience?

I would have front loaded my activities so that by the end of Q2 I would already have met most of my class outside of my section and learning team.

Post-MBA career plans?

Working at a law firm doing M&A

Go for it! No one I have met thus far has said that they wish they hadn’t done it.

The post Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students
Darden offers several dual degree programs in connection with other schools and departments at the University of Virginia. These joint degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently. Second Year students Ethan Silverman and Rachel Barnes are both MBA/JD students, and recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and Law School JDs.

Ethan Silverman (Class of 2021) MBA/JD

Undergrad: UC Berkeley

Before attending UVA, I worked as a product manager at a healthcare IT startup.

I attended Darden to build a toolkit of technical skills and to develop my perspective as a builder of business, a value creator, and a general manager. I knew then, and am grateful to even more fully appreciate now, how well what I’ve learned at Darden compliments my studies at UVA Law.

Darden dual-degree students are integrated into the core Darden community seamlessly. In our first year at Darden, we are insulated in a firewall, doing and thinking and acting just as any Darden student does. We are all-in on community building activities, including the Darden Cup and other milestone events like 100 Case. And only after our first year at Darden do we begin, as JD/MBAs, to blend our studies between the two schools. This has been an effective structure because I was able to fully experience the rigors and joys of Darden FY without distraction, as it was meant to be experienced, and now am able to experience the harmony of my two fields of study on a day-to-day basis thanks to the blending of my academic program.

One thing COVID has dramatically reinforced is the importance of capitalizing on every chance to come together with people I care about. I would tell my 1L/FY self to take even more advantage of opportunities to gather with my classmates, to go on adventures in Shenandoah and to local breweries and wineries. These have been the best years of my life, but shoot if I can’t think of times I wish I had rallied and gotten back up off the couch – even if I had just sat down. We live in an amazing community, an amazing part of the country, and there is just SO MUCH that we are lucky enough to have access to.

Post-MBA career plans?

To work as an attorney, counseling private equity clients primarily on M&A, in addition to some work on fund formation and debt finance.

Proceed with caution, because it is a substantial commitment. Ask your mentors, seek out more advisors and ask them too. Reach out to current dual-degree students at your target schools, too! And, ultimately, if you have a passion for learning and are committed to taking advantage of the value of a dual-degree offering, send it. I don’t regret my decision. I haven’t spoken to someone who does.

My advice to aspiring graduate students more generally, whether a dual-degree or single degree – pursue your education at a school and in a community in which you’ll be physically and mentally healthy, happy, and see yourself thriving. Everything else will fall into place.

Rachel Barnes (Class of 2021) MBA/JD

Why Darden? 

Every time I sat in on a class, I was excited by the case method. The level of student engagement is unmatched.

Dual degree students are treated just like everyone else. We are in sections with other students and can participate in everything Darden has to offer.

You have to be clear on your priorities. Dual degree or not, you cannot go to everything. So knowing what your goals and priorities are can help

Rachel Barnes, Class of 2021
balance work and other events and obligations.

How have you utilized your dual-degree and leveraged your connections at each school in your internship/job search process?

During this past summer, because of my dual degree, I was able to do a joint internship between a law firm and in-house at a company. It was a very valuable experience.

I would have front loaded my activities so that by the end of Q2 I would already have met most of my class outside of my section and learning team.

Post-MBA career plans?

Working at a law firm doing M&A

Go for it! No one I have met thus far has said that they wish they hadn’t done it.

The post Q&A with MBA/JD Dual Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students
Darden offers several dual-degree programs in connection with other schools at the University of Virginia. These dual-degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently (not to mention, in many cases, reduce the time it would take to earn both degrees separately). Second Year students Ethan Silverman and Rachel Barnes are both MBA/JD students, and they recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and UVA School of Law students.

Ethan Silverman (MBA/JD Class of 2021)

Undergrad: University of California-Berkeley

Before attending UVA, I worked as a product manager at a health care IT startup.

I attended Darden to build a toolkit of technical skills and to develop my perspective as a builder of business, a value creator and a general manager. I knew then, and am grateful to even more fully appreciate now, how well what I learn at Darden compliments my studies at UVA Law.

Darden dual-degree students are integrated into the core Darden community seamlessly. In our First Year at Darden, we are insulated in a firewall, doing and thinking and acting just as any Darden student does. We are all-in on community building activities, including the Darden Cup and other milestone events like 100 Case. Only after our first year at Darden do we begin, as JD/MBAs, to blend our studies between the two schools. This has been an effective structure because I was able to fully experience the rigors and joys of Darden First Year without distraction, as it was meant to be experienced, and now am able to experience the harmony of my two fields of study on a day-to-day basis, thanks to the blending of my academic program.

One thing COVID has dramatically reinforced is the importance of capitalizing on every chance to come together with people I care about. I would tell my 1L/FY self to take even more advantage of opportunities to gather with my classmates, to go on adventures in Shenandoah and to local breweries and wineries. These have been the best years of my life, but shoot if I can’t think of times I wish I had rallied and gotten back up off the couch (even if I had just sat down). We live in an amazing community, an amazing part of the country, and there is just so much that we are lucky enough to have access to.

Post-MBA career plans?

What’s your advice to prospective students considering a dual degree?

Proceed with caution, because it is a substantial commitment. Ask your mentors, seek out more advisers and ask them, too. Reach out to current dual-degree students at your target schools. And, ultimately, if you have a passion for learning and are committed to taking advantage of the value of a dual-degree offering, do it. I don’t regret my decision. I haven’t spoken to someone who does.

My advice to aspiring graduate students more generally, whether a dual-degree or single-degree: Pursue your education at a school and in a community in which you’ll be physically and mentally healthy, happy and see yourself thriving. Everything else will fall into place.

Rachel Barnes (MBA/JD Class of 2021) 

Why Darden? 

Dual-degree students are treated just like everyone else. We are in sections with other students and can participate in everything Darden has to offer.

You have to be clear on your priorities. Dual degree or not, you cannot go to everything. So knowing what your goals and priorities are can help balance work and other events and obligations.

Rachel Barnes, Class of 2021balance work and other events and obligations.
How have you utilized your dual degree and leveraged your connections at each school in your internship/job search process?

I would have front loaded my activities so that by the end of Q2, I would already have met most of my class outside of my section and learning team.

Post-MBA career plans?

Working at a law firm doing M&A.

What is your advice to prospective students considering a dual degree?

The post Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students
Darden offers several dual-degree programs in connection with other schools at the University of Virginia. These dual-degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently (not to mention, in many cases, reduce the time it would take to earn both degrees separately). Second Year students Ethan Silverman and Rachel Barnes are both MBA/JD students, and they recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and UVA School of Law students.

Ethan Silverman (MBA/JD Class of 2021)

Undergrad: University of California-Berkeley

Before attending UVA, I worked as a product manager at a health care IT startup.

I attended Darden to build a toolkit of technical skills and to develop my perspective as a builder of business, a value creator and a general manager. I knew then, and am grateful to even more fully appreciate now, how well what I learn at Darden compliments my studies at UVA Law.

Darden dual-degree students are integrated into the core Darden community seamlessly. In our First Year at Darden, we are insulated in a firewall, doing and thinking and acting just as any Darden student does. We are all-in on community building activities, including the Darden Cup and other milestone events like 100 Case. Only after our first year at Darden do we begin, as JD/MBAs, to blend our studies between the two schools. This has been an effective structure because I was able to fully experience the rigors and joys of Darden First Year without distraction, as it was meant to be experienced, and now am able to experience the harmony of my two fields of study on a day-to-day basis, thanks to the blending of my academic program.

One thing COVID has dramatically reinforced is the importance of capitalizing on every chance to come together with people I care about. I would tell my 1L/FY self to take even more advantage of opportunities to gather with my classmates, to go on adventures in Shenandoah and to local breweries and wineries. These have been the best years of my life, but shoot if I can’t think of times I wish I had rallied and gotten back up off the couch (even if I had just sat down). We live in an amazing community, an amazing part of the country, and there is just so much that we are lucky enough to have access to.

Post-MBA career plans?

What’s your advice to prospective students considering a dual degree?

Proceed with caution, because it is a substantial commitment. Ask your mentors, seek out more advisers and ask them, too. Reach out to current dual-degree students at your target schools. And, ultimately, if you have a passion for learning and are committed to taking advantage of the value of a dual-degree offering, do it. I don’t regret my decision. I haven’t spoken to someone who does.

My advice to aspiring graduate students more generally, whether a dual-degree or single-degree: Pursue your education at a school and in a community in which you’ll be physically and mentally healthy, happy and see yourself thriving. Everything else will fall into place.

Rachel Barnes (MBA/JD Class of 2021) 

Why Darden? 

Dual-degree students are treated just like everyone else. We are in sections with other students and can participate in everything Darden has to offer.

You have to be clear on your priorities. Dual degree or not, you cannot go to everything. So knowing what your goals and priorities are can help balance work and other events and obligations.

Rachel Barnes, Class of 2021balance work and other events and obligations.
How have you utilized your dual degree and leveraged your connections at each school in your internship/job search process?

I would have front loaded my activities so that by the end of Q2, I would already have met most of my class outside of my section and learning team.

Post-MBA career plans?

Working at a law firm doing M&A.

What is your advice to prospective students considering a dual degree?

The post Q&A with MBA/JD Dual-Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You? [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You?
Darden Admissions recently hosted a webinar comparing the full-time MBA program and executive MBA program. Check out a recording of the session below and read on for three key questions as you consider which program path is right for you.

[url=https://www.kaltura.com/tiny/w58uy]Watch: Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right for You?[/url]

[url=https://www.kaltura.com/tiny/lyh0j][img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2020/11/Program-Comparison-Webinar-Snip-300x167.jpg[/img][/url]

[b]Question #1: How many years of work experience do you have? [/b]
Darden has three formats of one MBA: the [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba]Full-time MBA[/url], [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats]Executive MBA (EMBA) and Global Executive MBA (GEMBA)[/url] formats. All students graduate with the same degree: a Darden MBA. But, there are some pretty key differences between the formats.

[list]
[*]Our full-time MBA is a residential program. Students leave their jobs, move to [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/charlottesville]Charlottesville[/url] and focus fully on school (and recruiting).
[list]
[*]The students in this program typically have an average of 4-5 years of work experience. For our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the full-time MBA class fell between 3 and 8 years of work experience, with an average of 5 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[*]Our executive formats (EMBA and GEMBA) are working professional offerings, and despite the naming convention, they are not exclusively for “executives.” At Darden, Executive MBA refers to schedule and structure, not necessarily target student profile. Students in these formats continue working while pursuing their MBA — balancing work, life and school throughout their 21 months of study. The base location for our Executive MBA Program is the Sands Family Grounds, our state of the art space in the [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/program-faculty/weekend-residencies]Washington, DC Metro area[/url].
[list]
[*]In our Executive MBA Program, we require a minimum of five (5) years of work experience, and our typical work experience average is around 11-12 years. However, these numbers do not tell the full story of our Executive MBA class. For example, for our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the class fell between six (6) and 18 years of work experience, with a range of 3.5 years to 29 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[/list]
Which program is going to both challenge and engage you? 

[list]
[*][b]Less than five years of work experience?[/b] We would recommend considering our full-time MBA.[/*]
[*][b]More than ten years of work experience?[/b] Our Executive MBA will likely be the best fit for you. Only 11 of the 400 students (or roughly 3%) in our full-time MBA Class of 2022 had 10 or more years of work experience.[/*]
[*][b]But what if you have between five and 10 years of work experience?[/b] Any of the three formats could be the right fit for you, but there are some additional things to contemplate as you weigh your options. Continue to Question 2. [/*]
[/list]
[b]Question 2: What are your career goals?[/b]
Myth: All students in our Executive MBA Program are “climbers,” i.e. seeking to move up within their existing company.

False! We certainly have “climbers” in our Executive MBA classes, but you may be surprised to learn that over half of our executive format students identify as career switchers. We also have a notable percentage of students who are seeking to launch their own businesses. Many of our students move between these categories as they explore different career paths during their time in the program.

When choosing an MBA format, the question is not whether you want to change jobs. The real question is [b]how you plan to land your new job? Or stated more directly, do you feel an internship will be necessary for you to make your desired career transition?[/b]

For students who are seeking to make a big switch (i.e. change function and industry), an internship has many benefits. An internship can help you get your foot in the door. In most cases, the internship functions like a three-month interview, an extended opportunity for you to demonstrate your qualifications.

Internships can also allow you to test drive a new career as you gather a lot of information about your potential future work life. Sometimes a job/employer is everything you hoped it would be. And sometimes it’s not. An internship can help you figure this out before making a final decision.

Okay, so why all this talk about internships? An internship is an important part of the job search for our full-time MBA students, but it is NOT part of the career transition process for our executive format students.

A few more career-related thoughts before we move on to our final question.

[b]At Darden, all students have access to career resources[/b]. Dedicated career advisors. Career programming. Job fairs. On-Grounds and off-Grounds recruiting. The Darden alumni network. It’s all there.

But, while the above resources are widely available, there is one key resource that is more limited for our executive format students — time, namely, free time.

EMBA and GEMBA students are juggling a lot in addition to school. Adding a career change to this mix is functionally like having another class, and typically a few more hours of work per week (on top of an existing workload).

Given this landscape, it’s important for executive format students to prioritize their career goals and be willing to put in the time necessary to execute what will likely be a network-driven search. That means lots of LinkedIn messages, informational meetings, caffeine, drafts (and re-drafts) of cover letters and resumes and practice interview questions. In our Executive MBA Program, the students who succeed in achieving their desired career outcome are typically those who embrace this process.

[b]Career momentum vs. Full Immersion. [/b]And last but not least, for some students there are real opportunity and financial costs associated with taking two years off for school. What is your present career momentum? Will it be enhanced by a break and full immersion in an MBA program? Or would you achieve more by working and pursuing your MBA simultaneously?

In addition, when you consider the financial realities of the MBA, which format makes the most sense for you? Both programs offer scholarship awards, but our full-time MBA awards are typically larger, with our Executive MBA awards ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 total, with an average award of around $15,000. However, executive format students are able to continue earning a salary throughout their time in school, which can help defray the cost of the program.

So, you’ve made it this far, and you’re still evaluating your options. Great! Our final question centers on program experience.

[b]Step 3: How do you imagine your experience?[/b]
Do you see yourself spending two years in Charlottesville, fully immersed in the curricular and extracurricular bustle of business school?

Or do you imagine working while pursuing your MBA, taking classes in the Washington, DC area, applying what you’re learning in class directly to your job while accelerating your career?

Whoa. Big questions. Let’s back up for a second with a quick word about commonalities. There are a few important commonalities across the formats of the Darden MBA:

[list]
[*]World-renowned Darden faculty[/*]
[*]General management core curriculum[/*]
[*]Case method[/*]
[*]Tight-knit community[/*]
[*]Same degree at graduation[/*]
[/list]
There are also some key differences to consider like location, experience and how much you value things like clubs and organizations, elective choice, as well as tracks and specializations.

While we have a growing number of Executive MBA student organizations (currently 10 and counting!), full-time MBA students have much more time to invest in extracurricular pursuits. In addition, while Executive MBA students are able to participate in a number of class-wide social and networking events (we’re looking at you [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/01/24/friday-night-live/]Friday Night Live![/url]), and an increasing number of events taking place at Sands Family Grounds ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/dc/leadership-unscripted]hello Leadership Unscripted![/url]), the volume of activities available to and easily accessed by our full-time MBA students is truly staggering.

We’re talking 50+ clubs. The Darden Cup Competition. The Global Food Festival. Asia Week. Africa Week. Love Is Love Week. Darden Leadership Speaker Series. The University of Virginia Investing Conference. And much more. And that doesn’t include all of the great Charlottesville activities (hiking, wineries/breweries, concerts, restaurants, UVA sports, etc.).

In addition, while our executive format students take 12 electives during their time in the program, their elective menu is smaller than our full-time MBA students’. This makes sense when you consider the relative size of the overall classes: 135 or so in our Executive MBA program, and 335 in our Full-Time MBA program. Furthermore, our full-time MBA students take electives over a total of five quarters. Our executive format students take most of their electives in the final quarters of the program. The current Executive MBA elective count (12) represents a truly historic amount of elective choice, and the arrival of the elective period is always met with excitement from our students. 

[b]Still not sure which format is right for you? Here are three easy next steps[/b]:
[b]Schedule a Conversation.[/b] Connect one-on-one with a member of our Admissions Committee. We offer both phone ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/connect/schedule-conversation]MBA[/url] | [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/connect/schedule-conversation]Executive MBA[/url]) and in-person conversations (Office Hours).

[b]Join us for an Event.[/b] We have a broad range of upcoming events — from small groups coffee chats to topic-driven webinars and even mock case discussions. We look forward to seeing you online! [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/events]MBA Events[/url] | [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events]Executive MBA Events[/url]

[b]Listen to our podcasts.[/b] Darden Admissions has two podcasts exploring the various formats of the Darden MBA. [url=https://dardenexecmbapodcast.podbean.com/]The ExecMBA Podcast[/url] is our weekly podcast all about the Executive MBA experience at Darden. [url=https://experiencedarden.podbean.com/]Experience Darden[/url] is our podcast all about our full-time MBA experience. Both are a great way to learn more about the programs, and to hear firsthand from individuals who were in your shoes not so long ago.  

And remember, when it comes to choosing the format of the Darden MBA that is right for you, there are no pros and cons. Simply trade-offs. Good luck!

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/11/full-time-mba-or-executive-mba/]Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You?[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You? [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You?
Darden Admissions recently hosted a webinar comparing the full-time MBA program and executive MBA program. Check out a recording of the session below and read on for three key questions as you consider which program path is right for you.

[url=https://www.kaltura.com/tiny/w58uy]Watch: Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right for You?[/url]

[url=https://www.kaltura.com/tiny/lyh0j][img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2020/11/Program-Comparison-Webinar-Snip-300x167.jpg[/img][/url]

[b]Question #1: How many years of work experience do you have? [/b]
Darden has three formats of one MBA: the [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba]Full-time MBA[/url], [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats]Executive MBA (EMBA) and Global Executive MBA (GEMBA)[/url] formats. All students graduate with the same degree: a Darden MBA. But, there are some pretty key differences between the formats.

[list]
[*]Our full-time MBA is a residential program. Students leave their jobs, move to [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/charlottesville]Charlottesville[/url] and focus fully on school (and recruiting).
[list]
[*]The students in this program typically have an average of 4-5 years of work experience. For our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the full-time MBA class fell between 3 and 8 years of work experience, with an average of 5 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[*]Our executive formats (EMBA and GEMBA) are working professional offerings, and despite the naming convention, they are not exclusively for “executives.” At Darden, Executive MBA refers to schedule and structure, not necessarily target student profile. Students in these formats continue working while pursuing their MBA — balancing work, life and school throughout their 21 months of study. The base location for our Executive MBA Program is the Sands Family Grounds, our state of the art space in the [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/program-faculty/weekend-residencies]Washington, DC Metro area[/url].
[list]
[*]In our Executive MBA Program, we require a minimum of five (5) years of work experience, and our typical work experience average is around 11-12 years. However, these numbers do not tell the full story of our Executive MBA class. For example, for our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the class fell between six (6) and 18 years of work experience, with a range of 3.5 years to 29 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[/list]
Which program is going to both challenge and engage you? 

[list]
[*][b]Less than five years of work experience?[/b] We would recommend considering our full-time MBA.[/*]
[*][b]More than ten years of work experience?[/b] Our Executive MBA will likely be the best fit for you. Only 11 of the 400 students (or roughly 3%) in our full-time MBA Class of 2022 had 10 or more years of work experience.[/*]
[*][b]But what if you have between five and 10 years of work experience?[/b] Any of the three formats could be the right fit for you, but there are some additional things to contemplate as you weigh your options. Continue to Question 2. [/*]
[/list]
Myth: All students in our Executive MBA Program are “climbers,” i.e. seeking to move up within their existing company.

False! We certainly have “climbers” in our Executive MBA classes, but you may be surprised to learn that over half of our executive format students identify as career switchers. We also have a notable percentage of students who are seeking to launch their own businesses. Many of our students move between these categories as they explore different career paths during their time in the program.

When choosing an MBA format, the question is not whether you want to change jobs. The real question is [b]how you plan to land your new job? Or stated more directly, do you feel an internship will be necessary for you to make your desired career transition?[/b]

For students who are seeking to make a big switch (i.e. change function and industry), an internship has many benefits. An internship can help you get your foot in the door. In most cases, the internship functions like a three-month interview, an extended opportunity for you to demonstrate your qualifications.

Internships can also allow you to test drive a new career as you gather a lot of information about your potential future work life. Sometimes a job/employer is everything you hoped it would be. And sometimes it’s not. An internship can help you figure this out before making a final decision.

Okay, so why all this talk about internships? An internship is an important part of the job search for our full-time MBA students, but it is NOT part of the career transition process for our executive format students.

A few more career-related thoughts before we move on to our final question.

[b]At Darden, all students have access to career resources[/b]. Dedicated career advisors. Career programming. Job fairs. On-Grounds and off-Grounds recruiting. The Darden alumni network. It’s all there.

But, while the above resources are widely available, there is one key resource that is more limited for our executive format students — time, namely, free time.

EMBA and GEMBA students are juggling a lot in addition to school. Adding a career change to this mix is functionally like having another class, and typically a few more hours of work per week (on top of an existing workload).

Given this landscape, it’s important for executive format students to prioritize their career goals and be willing to put in the time necessary to execute what will likely be a network-driven search. That means lots of LinkedIn messages, informational meetings, caffeine, drafts (and re-drafts) of cover letters and resumes and practice interview questions. In our Executive MBA Program, the students who succeed in achieving their desired career outcome are typically those who embrace this process.

[b]Career momentum vs. Full Immersion. [/b]And last but not least, for some students there are real opportunity and financial costs associated with taking two years off for school. What is your present career momentum? Will it be enhanced by a break and full immersion in an MBA program? Or would you achieve more by working and pursuing your MBA simultaneously?

In addition, when you consider the financial realities of the MBA, which format makes the most sense for you? Both programs offer scholarship awards, but our full-time MBA awards are typically larger, with our Executive MBA awards ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 total, with an average award of around $15,000. However, executive format students are able to continue earning a salary throughout their time in school, which can help defray the cost of the program.

So, you’ve made it this far, and you’re still evaluating your options. Great! Our final question centers on program experience.

[b]Step 3: How do you imagine your experience?[/b]
Do you see yourself spending two years in Charlottesville, fully immersed in the curricular and extracurricular bustle of business school?

Or do you imagine working while pursuing your MBA, taking classes in the Washington, DC area, applying what you’re learning in class directly to your job while accelerating your career?

Whoa. Big questions. Let’s back up for a second with a quick word about commonalities. There are a few important commonalities across the formats of the Darden MBA:

[list]
[*]Case method[/*]
[/list]
There are also some key differences to consider like location, experience and how much you value things like clubs and organizations, elective choice, as well as tracks and specializations.

While we have a growing number of Executive MBA student organizations (currently 10 and counting!), full-time MBA students have much more time to invest in extracurricular pursuits. In addition, while Executive MBA students are able to participate in a number of class-wide social and networking events (we’re looking at you [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/01/24/friday-night-live/]Friday Night Live![/url]), and an increasing number of events taking place at Sands Family Grounds ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/dc/leadership-unscripted]hello Leadership Unscripted![/url]), the volume of activities available to and easily accessed by our full-time MBA students is truly staggering.

We’re talking 50+ clubs. The Darden Cup Competition. The Global Food Festival. Asia Week. Africa Week. Love Is Love Week. Darden Leadership Speaker Series. The University of Virginia Investing Conference. And much more. And that doesn’t include all of the great Charlottesville activities (hiking, wineries/breweries, concerts, restaurants, UVA sports, etc.).

In addition, while our executive format students take 12 electives during their time in the program, their elective menu is smaller than our full-time MBA students’. This makes sense when you consider the relative size of the overall classes: 135 or so in our Executive MBA program, and 335 in our Full-Time MBA program. Furthermore, our full-time MBA students take electives over a total of five quarters. Our executive format students take most of their electives in the final quarters of the program. The current Executive MBA elective count (12) represents a truly historic amount of elective choice, and the arrival of the elective period is always met with excitement from our students. 

[b]Still not sure which format is right for you? Here are three easy next steps[/b]:
[b]Schedule a Conversation.[/b] Connect one-on-one with a member of our Admissions Committee. We offer both phone ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/connect/schedule-conversation]MBA[/url] | [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/connect/schedule-conversation]Executive MBA[/url]) and in-person conversations (Office Hours).

[b]Join us for an Event.[/b] We have a broad range of upcoming events — from small groups coffee chats to topic-driven webinars and even mock case discussions. We look forward to seeing you online! [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/events]MBA Events[/url] | [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events]Executive MBA Events[/url]

[b]Listen to our podcasts.[/b] Darden Admissions has two podcasts exploring the various formats of the Darden MBA. [url=https://dardenexecmbapodcast.podbean.com/]The ExecMBA Podcast[/url] is our weekly podcast all about the Executive MBA experience at Darden. [url=https://experiencedarden.podbean.com/]Experience Darden[/url] is our podcast all about our full-time MBA experience. Both are a great way to learn more about the programs, and to hear firsthand from individuals who were in your shoes not so long ago.  

And remember, when it comes to choosing the format of the Darden MBA that is right for you, there are no pros and cons. Simply trade-offs. Good luck!

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/11/full-time-mba-or-executive-mba/]Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format is Right For You?[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You? [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You?
Darden Admissions recently hosted a webinar comparing the full-time MBA program and Executive MBA program. Check out a recording of the session below and read on for three key questions as you consider which program path is right for you.

[b]Question 1: How many years of work experience do you have? [/b]
Darden has three formats of one MBA: the[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba] full-time MBA program[/url],[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats] Executive MBA (EMBA) format and Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) format[/url]. All students graduate with the same degree: a University of Virginia Darden School of Business MBA. But, there are some key differences between the formats.

[list]
[*]Our full-time MBA is a residential program. Students leave their jobs, move to[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/charlottesville] Charlottesville[/url] and focus fully on school (and recruiting).
[list]
[*]The students in this program typically have an average of four to five years of work experience. For our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the full-time MBA class had between 3 and 8 years of work experience, with an average of 5 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[*]Our executive formats (EMBA and GEMBA) are working professional offerings, and despite the naming convention, they are not exclusively for “executives.” At Darden, Executive MBA refers to schedule and structure, not necessarily target student profile. Students in these formats continue working while pursuing their MBA — balancing work, life and school throughout their 21 months of study. The base location for our Executive MBA program is the Sands Family Grounds, our state-of-the-art space in the[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/program-faculty/weekend-residencies] Washington, D.C., Metro area[/url].
[list]
[*]In our Executive MBA program, we have a preferred work experience minimum of 5 years, and our typical work experience average is around 11-12 years. However, these numbers do not tell the full story of our Executive MBA class. For example, for our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the class fell between 6 and 18 years of work experience, with a range of 3.5 years to 29 years. [/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[/list]

It’s also possible to switch function and/or industry from both our full-Time and Executive MBA Programs. You may be surprised to learn that over half of our executive format students identify as career switchers.

However, there are a few key career-related questions to consider when choosing an MBA format:

[b]Internship or no internship?[/b] An internship is an important part of the job search for our full-time MBA students, but it is NOT part of the career transition process for our executive format students.

[b]Career momentum vs. full immersion. [/b]For some students there are real opportunity costs associated with taking two years off for school. What is your present career momentum? Will it be enhanced by a break and full immersion in an MBA program? Or would you achieve more by working and pursuing your MBA simultaneously?

[b]Finances.[/b] In addition, when you consider the financial realities of the MBA, which format makes the most sense for you? Both programs offer scholarship awards, but our full-time MBA awards are typically larger, with our Executive MBA awards ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 total, with an average award of around $15,000. However, executive format students are able to continue earning a salary throughout their time in school, which can help defray the cost of the program.

[b]Question 3: How do you imagine your experience?[/b]
There are a few important commonalities across the formats of the Darden MBA:

[list]
[*]Case method[/*]
[/list]
However, there are also some key differences to consider, like location, experience and how much you value things like clubs and organizations, elective choice, as well as tracks and specializations.

Or do you imagine working while pursuing your MBA, taking classes in the Washington, D.C., area, applying what you’re learning in class directly to your job while accelerating your career?

[b]Schedule a conversation.[/b] Connect one-on-one with a member of our Admissions Committee ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/connect/schedule-conversation]MBA[/url] |[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/connect/schedule-conversation] Executive MBA[/url]).

[b]Join us for an event.[/b] We have a broad range of upcoming events — from small groups coffee chats to topic-driven webinars and even mock case discussions. We look forward to seeing you online![url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/events] MBA Events[/url] |[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events] Executive MBA Events[/url]

[b]Listen to our podcasts.[/b] Darden Admissions has two podcasts exploring the various formats of the Darden MBA.[url=https://dardenexecmbapodcast.podbean.com/] The ExecMBA Podcast[/url] is our weekly podcast all about the Executive MBA experience at Darden.[url=https://experiencedarden.podbean.com/] Experience Darden[/url] is our podcast all about our full-time MBA experience. Both are a great way to learn more about the programs, and to hear firsthand from individuals who were in your shoes not so long ago.  

The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/11/full-time-mba-or-executive-mba/]Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You?[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You? [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You?
Darden Admissions recently hosted a webinar comparing the full-time MBA program and Executive MBA program. Check out a recording of the session below and read on for three key questions as you consider which program path is right for you.

[b]Question 1: How many years of work experience do you have? [/b]
Darden has three formats of one MBA: the[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba] full-time MBA program[/url],[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats] Executive MBA (EMBA) format and Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) format[/url]. All students graduate with the same degree: a University of Virginia Darden School of Business MBA. But, there are some key differences between the formats.

[list]
[*]Our full-time MBA is a residential program. Students leave their jobs, move to[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/about/locations/charlottesville] Charlottesville[/url] and focus fully on school (and recruiting).
[list]
[*]The students in this program typically have an average of four to five years of work experience. For our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the full-time MBA class had between 3 and 8 years of work experience, with an average of 5 years.[/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[*]Our executive formats (EMBA and GEMBA) are working professional offerings, and despite the naming convention, they are not exclusively for “executives.” At Darden, Executive MBA refers to schedule and structure, not necessarily target student profile. Students in these formats continue working while pursuing their MBA — balancing work, life and school throughout their 21 months of study. The base location for our Executive MBA program is the Sands Family Grounds, our state-of-the-art space in the[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/program-faculty/weekend-residencies] Washington, D.C., Metro area[/url].
[list]
[*]In our Executive MBA program, we have a preferred work experience minimum of 5 years, and our typical work experience average is around 11-12 years. However, these numbers do not tell the full story of our Executive MBA class. For example, for our Class of 2022, 80 percent of the class fell between 6 and 18 years of work experience, with a range of 3.5 years to 29 years. [/*]
[/list]
[/*]
[/list]

It’s also possible to switch function and/or industry from both our full-Time and Executive MBA Programs. You may be surprised to learn that over half of our executive format students identify as career switchers.

However, there are a few key career-related questions to consider when choosing an MBA format:

[b]Internship or no internship?[/b] An internship is an important part of the job search for our full-time MBA students, but it is NOT part of the career transition process for our executive format students.

[b]Career momentum vs. full immersion. [/b]For some students there are real opportunity costs associated with taking two years off for school. What is your present career momentum? Will it be enhanced by a break and full immersion in an MBA program? Or would you achieve more by working and pursuing your MBA simultaneously?

[b]Finances.[/b] In addition, when you consider the financial realities of the MBA, which format makes the most sense for you? Both programs offer scholarship awards, but our full-time MBA awards are typically larger, with our Executive MBA awards ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 total, with an average award of around $15,000. However, executive format students are able to continue earning a salary throughout their time in school, which can help defray the cost of the program.

[b]Question 3: How do you imagine your experience?[/b]
There are a few important commonalities across the formats of the Darden MBA:

[list]
[*]Case method[/*]
[/list]
However, there are also some key differences to consider, like location, experience and how much you value things like clubs and organizations, elective choice, as well as tracks and specializations.

Or do you imagine working while pursuing your MBA, taking classes in the Washington, D.C., area, applying what you’re learning in class directly to your job while accelerating your career?

[b]Schedule a conversation.[/b] Connect one-on-one with a member of our Admissions Committee ([url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/connect/schedule-conversation]MBA[/url] |[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/connect/schedule-conversation] Executive MBA[/url]).

[b]Join us for an event.[/b] We have a broad range of upcoming events — from small groups coffee chats to topic-driven webinars and even mock case discussions. We look forward to seeing you online![url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/events] MBA Events[/url] |[url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events] Executive MBA Events[/url]

[b]Listen to our podcasts.[/b] Darden Admissions has two podcasts exploring the various formats of the Darden MBA.[url=https://dardenexecmbapodcast.podbean.com/] The ExecMBA Podcast[/url] is our weekly podcast all about the Executive MBA experience at Darden.[url=https://experiencedarden.podbean.com/] Experience Darden[/url] is our podcast all about our full-time MBA experience. Both are a great way to learn more about the programs, and to hear firsthand from individuals who were in your shoes not so long ago.  

The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/11/full-time-mba-or-executive-mba/]Darden Full-Time MBA or Executive MBA: Which Format Is Right For You?[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five ‘Hard Won’ Application Tips f [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five ‘Hard Won’ Application Tips for Full-Time MBA Candidates
Today’s post authored by Second Year student Jeremy Rosenthal (Class of 2021). Rosenthal is a member of the Second Year Admissions Committee, a group of students who work alongside Darden’s Admissions team to recruit future classes of MBA students. This group of students also serves as informal ambassadors to the Darden experience, lending their own knowledge and expertise to prospective students and applicants.

Jeremy Rosenthal (Class of 2021)
By Jeremy Rosenthal:

I applied to business school twice, the first time being an uninformed, shot-in-the-dark misadventure. The second time around, though, I was armed with lessons learned from my prior follies, and I was fortunate to land at Darden, which has been a transformative experience. With this blog post, I hope to pass some of this hard-won wisdom onto you, so that you can put forward your best application.

Before turning my attention to some Darden-specific advice, I’d like to offer a nugget of the general, all-purpose variety:

1. Expand your consideration set. I did not apply to Darden during my “dress rehearsal” application cycle. As someone who was working in the education sector prior to business school, I couldn’t afford to cast a wide net and apply to as many schools as possible, as some well-intended folks had suggested. While my budget limited the number of schools that I could visit and apply to, nothing was stopping me from exploring a broader set of schools via their websites, alumni networks, and their coverage in online forums. Don’t look back on your application cycle and wish that you would have taken a closer look at that school which fell just outside of your initial consideration set.

One of the things that makes Darden so special is that its students chose Darden before Darden chose them. Few Darden students come to Charlottesville by accident — they come having deliberately chosen to join this community, which brings me to the first piece of Darden-specific advice:

2. Confirm that Darden is a “fit” before you apply. Too much is made of how business school aspirants can bend their application materials to match a given school’s culture and not enough is made of the importance of aligning with said school’s culture in the first place. In other words, first determine if you “fit” before you worry about how to communicate this fit.

Darden is a rigorous place where students are expected to be engaged both in and outside of the classroom — it is far from a passive experience. At the same time, it is also a collaborative community, where fierce competition is more the domain of Darden Cup (a year-long battle between class sections) than it is of grades or recruiting. But don’t take my word for it: reach out to Darden students and recent alumni via LinkedIn or the Student Ambassador program to get the inside scoop. If these conversations truly energize you, it will be evident in your application and interview.

3. Own your impact. The application is your proverbial “time to shine.” Your resume shouldn’t read as an enumeration of your job responsibilities; rather, it should make clear the ways in which you left your fingerprints on the organizations you’ve been part of. When I was writing my resume I sometimes struggled to quantify my impact. While doing so is especially effective, some of the most compelling bullets on my resume have to do with accomplishments that can’t be captured by a single number, such as the times when I took initiative to spearhead projects at work. In other words: numbers are great and all (says this former math teacher), but don’t feel constrained to have to weave them into every single resume bullet point.

4. Provide context for your accomplishments. Great, you “improved efficiency by 20%.” But was your job to improve it by 10%? 30%? How did you stack up against your coworkers? And, wow, you won an award named after a fancy-sounding long-dead person (seriously, though, congrats!). But unless that fancy-sounding, long-dead person is named Nobel or Pulitzer, I’ll likely need an explanation. For a gut check, share your application with someone whose judgement you trust but who doesn’t know you terribly well. Where do they ask for clarification? Where do they need context?

5. Share your passions. Devote some resume real estate to your hobbies and interests and be sure to thoughtfully fill out the portion of the application devoted to these pursuits. If the annual talent show is any indication, Darden students are wildly talented and passionate about the things they do when they’re off-the-clock.

If the uninformed, shot-in-the-dark misadventure that was my first MBA application cycle taught me anything, it is this: there is a school out there for you, as there was one for me. I wish you the best of luck in finding where you “fit” and in crafting the winning application that gets you there.

The post Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five 'Hard Won' Application Tips for Full-Time MBA Candidates first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five ‘Hard Won’ Application Tips f [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five ‘Hard Won’ Application Tips for Full-Time MBA Candidates
Today’s post authored by Second Year student Jeremy Rosenthal (Class of 2021). Rosenthal is a member of the Second Year Admissions Committee, a group of students who work alongside Darden’s Admissions team to recruit future classes of MBA students. This group of students also serves as informal ambassadors to the Darden experience, lending their own knowledge and expertise to prospective students and applicants.

Jeremy Rosenthal (Class of 2021)
By Jeremy Rosenthal:

I applied to business school twice, the first time being an uninformed, shot-in-the-dark misadventure. The second time around, though, I was armed with lessons learned from my prior follies, and I was fortunate to land at Darden, which has been a transformative experience. With this blog post, I hope to pass some of this hard-won wisdom onto you, so that you can put forward your best application.

Before turning my attention to some Darden-specific advice, I’d like to offer a nugget of the general, all-purpose variety:

1. Expand your consideration set. I did not apply to Darden during my “dress rehearsal” application cycle. As someone who was working in the education sector prior to business school, I couldn’t afford to cast a wide net and apply to as many schools as possible, as some well-intended folks had suggested. While my budget limited the number of schools that I could visit and apply to, nothing was stopping me from exploring a broader set of schools via their websites, alumni networks, and their coverage in online forums. Don’t look back on your application cycle and wish that you would have taken a closer look at that school which fell just outside of your initial consideration set.

One of the things that makes Darden so special is that its students chose Darden before Darden chose them. Few Darden students come to Charlottesville by accident — they come having deliberately chosen to join this community, which brings me to the first piece of Darden-specific advice:

2. Confirm that Darden is a “fit” before you apply. Too much is made of how business school aspirants can bend their application materials to match a given school’s culture and not enough is made of the importance of aligning with said school’s culture in the first place. In other words, first determine if you “fit” before you worry about how to communicate this fit.

Darden is a rigorous place where students are expected to be engaged both in and outside of the classroom — it is far from a passive experience. At the same time, it is also a collaborative community, where fierce competition is more the domain of Darden Cup (a year-long battle between class sections) than it is of grades or recruiting. But don’t take my word for it: reach out to Darden students and recent alumni via LinkedIn or the Student Ambassador program to get the inside scoop. If these conversations truly energize you, it will be evident in your application and interview.

3. Own your impact. The application is your proverbial “time to shine.” Your resume shouldn’t read as an enumeration of your job responsibilities; rather, it should make clear the ways in which you left your fingerprints on the organizations you’ve been part of. When I was writing my resume I sometimes struggled to quantify my impact. While doing so is especially effective, some of the most compelling bullets on my resume have to do with accomplishments that can’t be captured by a single number, such as the times when I took initiative to spearhead projects at work. In other words: numbers are great and all (says this former math teacher), but don’t feel constrained to have to weave them into every single resume bullet point.

4. Provide context for your accomplishments. Great, you “improved efficiency by 20%.” But was your job to improve it by 10%? 30%? How did you stack up against your coworkers? And, wow, you won an award named after a fancy-sounding long-dead person (seriously, though, congrats!). But unless that fancy-sounding, long-dead person is named Nobel or Pulitzer, I’ll likely need an explanation. For a gut check, share your application with someone whose judgement you trust but who doesn’t know you terribly well. Where do they ask for clarification? Where do they need context?

5. Share your passions. Devote some resume real estate to your hobbies and interests and be sure to thoughtfully fill out the portion of the application devoted to these pursuits. If the annual talent show is any indication, Darden students are wildly talented and passionate about the things they do when they’re off-the-clock.

If the uninformed, shot-in-the-dark misadventure that was my first MBA application cycle taught me anything, it is this: there is a school out there for you, as there was one for me. I wish you the best of luck in finding where you “fit” and in crafting the winning application that gets you there.

The post Second Year Jeremy Rosenthal Shares Five 'Hard Won' Application Tips for Full-Time MBA Candidates first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students
Darden offers several dual-degree programs in connection with other schools at the University of Virginia. These dual-degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently (not to mention, in many cases, reduce the time it would take to earn both degrees separately). Second Year students Jack McDermott and Samantha Firstenberg are MBA/MEd students, and they recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and UVA School of Education and Human Development students. Photo by Sanjay Suchak, University Communications

Jack McDermott (Class of 2021)

Hometown: Medfield, Massachusetts

Undergrad: Tufts

Pre-Darden Professional Background: Education technology (Panorama Education)

Darden offers an unparalleled opportunity to learn at both one of the best business schools in the country, as well as one of the best graduate education programs while in a naturally beautiful and vibrant community. It was a no-brainer for me.

Because Darden has so many dual degree students, it feels like a community unto itself. Often times, during case discussions, dual degrees within a specific area (medicine, education, law) will be specifically asked for their view on a key question or case-related point of discussion.

How are you managing the workload? Do you feel that you are missing out on experiences from either of the program?

The only aspect of the experience that I feel I’m missing out on at the School of Education is in-person learning. The entire first year of the M.Ed dual degree program is virtual, which is not ideal for feeling a connection to Education/those students there, especially because the Grounds are set apart and Darden is so intensive/in-person during core.

I would try to lean in even more heavily into the dual nature of the degree and the student cohort. That is, forming small group dinners and discussions. Finding ways to connect with other dual degrees (MPP, JD) that are related to our MEd field of study.

Have a clear grasp on what you hope to gain from each side of your dual degree. If you understand the why behind each degree independently, it will allow to you to make more meaningful connections between the two fields of study, instead of hoping that the dual nature of the degree itself makes those connections for you.

Samantha Firstenberg (Class of 2021)
Hometown: Bethesda, Maryland

Undergrad: Georgetown University, Harvard Graduate School of Education

Pre-Darden Professional Background: Higher education data analytics; 6th grade math & science teacher

The landscape of higher education from Pre-K through post-secondary is remarkably slow to change. Our system at every level needs to be more flexible, adaptable, and agile. I knew that pursuing a dual degree MBA/M.Ed. would help me cultivate a wide array of skill sets in business and social enterprises that would help me fuel change. I was drawn to Darden for many of the most common reasons including the community and the case method. Additionally, in choosing the program I would attend, I looked at how the two degrees and curriculums had the potential to integrate and determined that UVA offered the greatest opportunity on that front.

How are you managing the workload? Do you feel that you are missing out on experiences from either of the program?

The MBA/M.Ed. program is set up really intentionally so that you don’t miss out on formational experiences such as FY core. You begin your education coursework the summer prior to entering Darden, which allows you to focus solely on Darden during the first two quarters of FY. Then, you return to School of Education coursework in the spring, but it’s only one class and quite manageable with the way that the course is formatted (and it is with the program advisor who understands the demands of Darden). I strategically chose to take a few education courses during the summer between FY and SY so that I could enroll in more Darden classes during SY and still have a manageable workload. I think that will have been a decision that proves to be quite fruitful in maximizing opportunity across both programs.

One of the greatest things about being a dual degree program is that it “doubles” your network. You can leverage contacts, alums, career services, faculty, etc. from two different schools in the internship/job search process. There is also a dual degree program-specific cohort that is always happy to help connect you to their networks.

Since I am looking to go into higher education post-Darden, I worked on an Enterprise Consulting project this summer as part of the Darden Impact Internship program. This has helped me develop relationships with administrators and faculty, get practical, real-world experience, and put a lot of what I learned in FY and in my School of Education classes to work.

Two things: (1) I would have chosen my School of Education coursework for the summer before Darden more carefully and ensured that I spent enough time preparing for Darden and (2) I would have gotten more involved with the School of Education earlier on. It is easy to get really involved with Darden during your FY and miss out on cool speakers and interesting events at other UVA schools.

1. Make sure that you research and understand all the program requirements

2. Talk to current dual degree students to get a sense of how they balance their workload

3. (MOST IMPORTANT) Really reflect on why you want to do a dual degree/what you are hoping to get out of both degrees and make sure you choose the program that is aligned with those things. Being a dual degree student at a rigorous business school is a challenging experience and there is no way around that fact. Make sure the investment you are going to make with your time, money, and emotional/intellectual effort is going to get you what you want/need and help propel you to where you want to go.

The post Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students
Darden offers several dual-degree programs in connection with other schools at the University of Virginia. These dual-degree programs are designed to enhance the educational experience beyond what could be achieved if the two degrees were pursued independently (not to mention, in many cases, reduce the time it would take to earn both degrees separately). Second Year students Jack McDermott and Samantha Firstenberg are MBA/MEd students, and they recently shared insights about their experiences as both Darden MBAs and UVA School of Education and Human Development students. Photo by Sanjay Suchak, University Communications

Hometown: Medfield, Massachusetts

Undergrad: Tufts

Pre-Darden Professional Background: Education technology (Panorama Education)

Darden offers an unparalleled opportunity to learn at both one of the best business schools in the country, as well as one of the best graduate education programs while in a naturally beautiful and vibrant community. It was a no-brainer for me.

Because Darden has so many dual degree students, it feels like a community unto itself. Often times, during case discussions, dual degrees within a specific area (medicine, education, law) will be specifically asked for their view on a key question or case-related point of discussion.

The only aspect of the experience that I feel I’m missing out on at the School of Education is in-person learning. The entire first year of the M.Ed dual degree program is virtual, which is not ideal for feeling a connection to Education/those students there, especially because the Grounds are set apart and Darden is so intensive/in-person during core.

I would try to lean in even more heavily into the dual nature of the degree and the student cohort. That is, forming small group dinners and discussions. Finding ways to connect with other dual degrees (MPP, JD) that are related to our MEd field of study.

Have a clear grasp on what you hope to gain from each side of your dual degree. If you understand the why behind each degree independently, it will allow to you to make more meaningful connections between the two fields of study, instead of hoping that the dual nature of the degree itself makes those connections for you.

Hometown: Bethesda, Maryland

Undergrad: Georgetown University, Harvard Graduate School of Education

Pre-Darden Professional Background: Higher education data analytics; 6th grade math & science teacher

The landscape of higher education from Pre-K through post-secondary is remarkably slow to change. Our system at every level needs to be more flexible, adaptable, and agile. I knew that pursuing a dual degree MBA/M.Ed. would help me cultivate a wide array of skill sets in business and social enterprises that would help me fuel change. I was drawn to Darden for many of the most common reasons including the community and the case method. Additionally, in choosing the program I would attend, I looked at how the two degrees and curriculums had the potential to integrate and determined that UVA offered the greatest opportunity on that front.

The MBA/M.Ed. program is set up really intentionally so that you don’t miss out on formational experiences such as FY core. You begin your education coursework the summer prior to entering Darden, which allows you to focus solely on Darden during the first two quarters of FY. Then, you return to School of Education coursework in the spring, but it’s only one class and quite manageable with the way that the course is formatted (and it is with the program advisor who understands the demands of Darden). I strategically chose to take a few education courses during the summer between FY and SY so that I could enroll in more Darden classes during SY and still have a manageable workload. I think that will have been a decision that proves to be quite fruitful in maximizing opportunity across both programs.

One of the greatest things about being a dual degree program is that it “doubles” your network. You can leverage contacts, alums, career services, faculty, etc. from two different schools in the internship/job search process. There is also a dual degree program-specific cohort that is always happy to help connect you to their networks.

Since I am looking to go into higher education post-Darden, I worked on an Enterprise Consulting project this summer as part of the Darden Impact Internship program. This has helped me develop relationships with administrators and faculty, get practical, real-world experience, and put a lot of what I learned in FY and in my School of Education classes to work.

Two things: (1) I would have chosen my School of Education coursework for the summer before Darden more carefully and ensured that I spent enough time preparing for Darden and (2) I would have gotten more involved with the School of Education earlier on. It is easy to get really involved with Darden during your FY and miss out on cool speakers and interesting events at other UVA schools.

1. Make sure that you research and understand all the program requirements

2. Talk to current dual degree students to get a sense of how they balance their workload

3. (MOST IMPORTANT) Really reflect on why you want to do a dual degree/what you are hoping to get out of both degrees and make sure you choose the program that is aligned with those things. Being a dual degree student at a rigorous business school is a challenging experience and there is no way around that fact. Make sure the investment you are going to make with your time, money, and emotional/intellectual effort is going to get you what you want/need and help propel you to where you want to go.

The post Q and A with MBA/MEd Dual Degree Students first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive A [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive Assessment
When Darden Admissions announced [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/07/28/all-about-test-flexibility/]a standardized test waiver pilot[/url] for the full-time MBA Class of 2023 application, we also shared a new test option to our already robust lineup. New for this year, we are accepting [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]Executive Assessment (EA)[/url] test scores from full-time MBA applicants! The EA is the most popular standardized test option among our Executive MBA applicants — and we have broken down some of the most commonly asked questions from full-time applicants about how the EA may fit into their application plans.

As we note in [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/faq]our Standardized Test FAQs[/url], we view all of the standardized tests we accept equivalently, and we encourage you to choose the test that best aligns with your strengths and plans. Even though we now accept the EA, we still anticipate that most full-time MBA applicants will apply with a GMAT or GRE score. However there are some instances in which the EA may make sense for a full-time MBA candidate. Let’s discuss!

[b]What is the Executive Assessment? [/b]

The [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]Executive Assessment[/url] was created by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), and it is a 40-question, 90-minute exam designed in consultation with top Executive MBA programs. It is a test of readiness (not an aptitude test), and it was created to give both candidates as well as Admissions Committees a sense of a candidate’s readiness for business school. 

Most Executive MBA candidates report spending around 20 to 30 hours preparing for the EA, however, this figure has increased over the past couple years as there are now more study materials available and more full-time and part-time students taking the test. Students will typically prepare using the materials that are available through the EA website, but there is at least one prep course available that a handful of candidates have reported using.

Like the GMAT, the EA is currently available online in most countries, but candidates can take the online EA a total of two times.

[b]How is the Test Formatted?[/b]

The test consists of three sections: quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning and integrated reasoning, and it is graded on a scale of 100 to 200. GMAC has noted that the highest EA score currently attainable is around the mid-170s (even though the test is scored on a 100 to 200 scale). As with the GMAT and GRE, Darden does not have a minimum or qualifying EA score, so, if you plan to take this test, we encourage you to focus on doing as well as you can, but to also remember that a test score is just one piece of information within a much broader, holistic review. 

[b]What is the typical score range? [/b]

Because the EA is a test of readiness, candidates will [b]not [/b]receive percentile information with their overall score or score breakdown. Reach out to your target schools directly to better understand how your test score aligns with the school’s applicant pool.

This is the first year we have accepted the EA as part of our Full-Time application process, but our Executive MBA scores provide some guidance for Darden applicants seeking to contextualize their test performance. In our Executive MBA program, students have EA scores ranging from the low 140s to the high 160s. The average score has been 153 for the past three years.

We look forward to sharing EA score metrics about our full-time applicants once we have completed the current admissions cycle!

[b]Who should consider taking the Executive Assessment? [/b]

We encourage candidates to choose the standardized test that best aligns with their strengths and plans. However, if you are considering taking the EA, here are a few things to reflect upon before finalizing your test plans:

[list]
[*]Because the Executive Assessment was designed in consultation with top Executive MBA programs, this test is recommended as an option for candidates with five or more years of work experience. [/*]
[*]Consider career interests as when evaluating test options. While our [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/career-support]Career Center[/url] believes employer perspectives on tests are evolving, it is important for you to know that industries like investment banking and management consulting will ask for a GMAT or GRE score. While it’s slightly possible these employers may have some awareness of the EA, their preference will be for the GMAT or GRE.[/*]
[/list]
[b]Poet vs. Quant[/b]

While the testing topics are similar, the EA has fewer quantitative topics than the GMAT. In addition, in the test design, EA takers will answer a total of 14 quantitative reasoning questions versus 31 on the GMAT and 40 on the GRE.

Darden has a required core curriculum that includes quantitative courses (Accounting, Finance, Decision Analysis, Global Economics, etc.), and our Admissions Committee, wants to make sure we are putting you in a position to be successful.

With all of this in mind, the [b]EA may make sense for a more experienced full-time MBA candidate with a fair amount of quantitative exposure[/b] in their academic and/or professional background(s). Candidates who are earlier in their career and/or who have less quantitative experience may want to consider taking the GMAT or GRE.

[b]If I already took another standardized test, could I potentially benefit from taking the EA too? [/b]

Maybe! There are many ways to demonstrate academic readiness in our application:  undergraduate and graduate coursework, standardized test scores, additional non-degree-related courses (Coursera, Harvard’s CORe Program, MBA Math, etc.), professional certifications, work responsibilities and more.

If you’ve already taken the GMAT or GRE, the EA could be a way of providing the Admissions Committee with another objective data point regarding your preparation for Darden. However, when building this case, we encourage candidates to choose a course of action that makes the most sense for them. The choice is yours!

Have more questions about Darden’s standardized test recommendations and test waiver policy? [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/07/28/all-about-test-flexibility/]Check out our blog post and recent webinar[/url] for even more information.

The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/20/the-executive-assessment/]A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive Assessment[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive A [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive Assessment
When Darden Admissions announced [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/07/28/all-about-test-flexibility/]a standardized test waiver pilot[/url] for the full-time MBA Class of 2023 application, we also shared a new test option to our already robust lineup. New for this year, we are accepting [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]Executive Assessment (EA)[/url] test scores from full-time MBA applicants! The EA is the most popular standardized test option among our Executive MBA applicants — and we have broken down some of the most commonly asked questions from full-time applicants about how the EA may fit into their application plans.

As we note in [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/faq]our Standardized Test FAQs[/url], we view all of the standardized tests we accept equivalently, and we encourage you to choose the test that best aligns with your strengths and plans. Even though we now accept the EA, we still anticipate that most full-time MBA applicants will apply with a GMAT or GRE score. However there are some instances in which the EA may make sense for a full-time MBA candidate. Let’s discuss!

[b]What is the Executive Assessment? [/b]

The [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]Executive Assessment[/url] was created by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), and it is a 40-question, 90-minute exam designed in consultation with top Executive MBA programs. It is a test of readiness (not an aptitude test), and it was created to give both candidates as well as Admissions Committees a sense of a candidate’s readiness for business school. 

Most Executive MBA candidates report spending around 20 to 30 hours preparing for the EA, however, this figure has increased over the past couple years as there are now more study materials available and more full-time and part-time students taking the test. Students will typically prepare using the materials that are available through the EA website, but there is at least one prep course available that a handful of candidates have reported using.

Like the GMAT, the EA is currently available online in most countries, but candidates can take the online EA a total of two times.

[b]How is the Test Formatted?[/b]

The test consists of three sections: quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning and integrated reasoning, and it is graded on a scale of 100 to 200. GMAC has noted that the highest EA score currently attainable is around the mid-170s (even though the test is scored on a 100 to 200 scale). As with the GMAT and GRE, Darden does not have a minimum or qualifying EA score, so, if you plan to take this test, we encourage you to focus on doing as well as you can, but to also remember that a test score is just one piece of information within a much broader, holistic review. 

[b]What is the typical score range? [/b]

Because the EA is a test of readiness, candidates will [b]not [/b]receive percentile information with their overall score or score breakdown. Reach out to your target schools directly to better understand how your test score aligns with the school’s applicant pool.

This is the first year we have accepted the EA as part of our Full-Time application process, but our Executive MBA scores provide some guidance for Darden applicants seeking to contextualize their test performance. In our Executive MBA program, students have EA scores ranging from the low 140s to the high 160s. The average score has been 153 for the past three years.

We look forward to sharing EA score metrics about our full-time applicants once we have completed the current admissions cycle!

[b]Who should consider taking the Executive Assessment? [/b]

We encourage candidates to choose the standardized test that best aligns with their strengths and plans. However, if you are considering taking the EA, here are a few things to reflect upon before finalizing your test plans:

[list]
[*]Because the Executive Assessment was designed in consultation with top Executive MBA programs, this test is recommended as an option for candidates with five or more years of work experience. [/*]
[*]Consider career interests as when evaluating test options. While our [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/career-support]Career Center[/url] believes employer perspectives on tests are evolving, it is important for you to know that industries like investment banking and management consulting will ask for a GMAT or GRE score. While it’s slightly possible these employers may have some awareness of the EA, their preference will be for the GMAT or GRE.[/*]
[/list]
[b]Poet vs. Quant[/b]

While the testing topics are similar, the EA has fewer quantitative topics than the GMAT. In addition, in the test design, EA takers will answer a total of 14 quantitative reasoning questions versus 31 on the GMAT and 40 on the GRE.

Darden has a required core curriculum that includes quantitative courses (Accounting, Finance, Decision Analysis, Global Economics, etc.), and our Admissions Committee, wants to make sure we are putting you in a position to be successful.

With all of this in mind, the [b]EA may make sense for a more experienced full-time MBA candidate with a fair amount of quantitative exposure[/b] in their academic and/or professional background(s). Candidates who are earlier in their career and/or who have less quantitative experience may want to consider taking the GMAT or GRE.

[b]If I already took another standardized test, could I potentially benefit from taking the EA too? [/b]

Maybe! There are many ways to demonstrate academic readiness in our application:  undergraduate and graduate coursework, standardized test scores, additional non-degree-related courses (Coursera, Harvard’s CORe Program, MBA Math, etc.), professional certifications, work responsibilities and more.

If you’ve already taken the GMAT or GRE, the EA could be a way of providing the Admissions Committee with another objective data point regarding your preparation for Darden. However, when building this case, we encourage candidates to choose a course of action that makes the most sense for them. The choice is yours!

Have more questions about Darden’s standardized test recommendations and test waiver policy? [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/07/28/all-about-test-flexibility/]Check out our blog post and recent webinar[/url] for even more information.

The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/11/20/the-executive-assessment/]A New Test Option for Darden Full-Time MBA Applicants: The Executive Assessment[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  45   
Moderator:
Stern School Moderator
2 posts