Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Insead, Ross, Kellogg, Tepper, Tuck, ISB
 Q50  V30 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
WE 1: 3.5 years I.T
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Finance and Accounting
Schools:UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Finally done with GMAT 760--Q50,V42 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
maliyeci wrote:
Very good score. Looking for a debrief.

Congratulations and second the debrief request, after the celebrations end of course :wink:

Thank you for sharing the good news!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
from 680 to 760, thats certainly a huge jump and requires lot of patience and hard work. Congratulations to you, and all the best for your applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Congratulations !!! Wish you all the best with your apps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Nice job! What are your target schools?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
great job on the test! and i agree 100% with your strategy about taking more time at the start of verbal - it worked for me too. good luck on all your apps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
amb2512,
Congrats on great score and thanks for the debrief.
goodluck with the app process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Superb score ... all the best for your apps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
That's a great score...congrats.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Congratulations on getting a wonderful score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Congrats for a superb score! What were your practice scores like?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8534 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
amb2512 wrote:
First of all i m not a good writer and i m also tired of grammar rules ,so pls bear with me ...

I gave GMAT for the first time on 3rd august and got 680 Q50, v30. I messed up the verbal section badly. Wht i realised after my first attempt was that a good night sleep before the test is very very important. Before my first attempt i couldn't sleep on the night before the exam. Juz got 3-4 hours of sleep and beleive me I was not able to concentrate on any verbal question. I was juz guessing and rushing through the questions. So a humble request, pls try to maintain a schedule atleast 15-20 days before the exam. However i still didnt learn from my past mistakes and didnt maintained a schedule, so i had to take a pill on the night before the gmat. Thank God, it worked and i got a decent sleep. Again if u want to take a pill, try it out alteast once before the exam to be sure that u would not feel sleepy during the exam.

Anyways feeling fresh and charged up,I got to the test center 30 mins early, after completing all the formalities the lady at the center alloted me a system.

After some instructional screens the game began, Argument was pretty ok i wrote a lot in argument, but issue was kind of
weird but i beleive i managed to write enough to get atleast a 5.0 in AWA

Quant section: Being an engineer, i am pretty good in quant. Started of well in the quant section . It was going well all
through the section uptill the end where i got 2-3 very very difficult D.S problems. I didnt have too much time left so
have to rush through them. Finished the section just on tym. About the quant section i beleive that inequalities and absolute value are two concept where GMAT can cause big problems. Although its my personal opinion but ill recommend that if u r not that comfortable with these concepts than juz try to go through them properly.

During the break, I was bit disappointed feeling that i screwed up the quant section but somehow managed to organise myself for the verbal section. Ate something, had a sip of redbull and i was ready to go.

Verbal started, Last time what i did wrong was i was really rushing through the questions in the Verbal sections .And i
finished my Verbal section last time with 4-5 minutes to spare. What i have analysed through practice tests was that i
was not doing that good in initial 10-12 questions. So i decided ill give these initial 10-12 questions a little more time. .
Verbal section was pretty easy. Other than 2-3 questions, sentence correction was pretty straight forward. About C.R, got some paradoxy questions and a Bold face question in the middle. The Bold face question increased my confidence that i m doing pretty well in the section. 3 RC's were pretty easy and one that i got at the end was really a monster. Although the last RC was easy to comprehend but the questions were quite difficult. Anyways finished my verbal section just on time.

Was very nervous after finishing my test. Just rushed through all the screens to see my score. And boom, it was 760 i couldnt beleive that i got a 760. In Quant i was in the range of 50-51 in all my practice tests. But i was not expecting that much in verbal. I didnt even pressed the next button after seeing the score juz rushed through to the invigilator at the center. She had to press the next button and finish my test. While getting the unofficial report card i was literally shivering and what more, the lady out there asked me Have u cancelled ur score???? :shock: :shock: :shock: I was lyk are u serious i juz got a 760 why would i cancel my score. Anyways she apologized and handed over my report. I had to look at the score card for 10-12 time to confirm that i really got 760. Only after calling my parents did i stopped shivering. And it took me about half an hour to settle down.

Anyways I was very happy and partied all night long yesterday. 8-) 8-)

About the material : For AWA, How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide by chinese democracy is a must read for everyone. For Quant, I dint worked that much on Quant section. Took 2 GMATClub Quant challenges, by far the hardest questions u could get for ur Quant preparation. Other than that i just concentrated on improving my verbal skills. Improving the verbal score was really a daunting challenge for me. For sc, 1000sc and OG along with Manhattan Gmat Sc guide are more than enough. 1000 sc is a very good resource specially for someone who is not that good in SC. About RC and CR, I found Kaplan Solved LSAT papers a very good resource and they helped me a lot specially in improving my Reading Comprehension. However the best resouce are these online forums, i improved my verbal skills juz bcoz of GmatClub and other forums.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my post although i didnt posted that much. I have been a silent visitor out here at GMAT club but i have learnt a lot by veiwing people posts . Good luck to everyone appearing for GMAT - beleive me its not that difficult. With some hard work and faith in yourself u can rock on G-DAY.

Regards
Ambar

Hi dude,

thanks so much for sharing your experience, and I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions since I think we have things in common.

I also got a 680 (Q50 V31- AWA 4.5) last August in my first attempt, and I´m planning to take it again in December, so I have 3 months to go.
Like you, I am an engineer, and I feel very comfortable with quant section. Nevertheless, I´m a not native speaker, and verbal section is a big monster for me. How did you improve so much in so little time???

Your comments are much appreciated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Incredible score and progression,
congratulation and thank you for the inspiring words!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Hi dude,

thanks so much for sharing your experience, and I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions since I think we have things in common.

I also got a 680 (Q50 V31- AWA 4.5) last August in my first attempt, and I´m planning to take it again in December, so I have 3 months to go.
Like you, I am an engineer, and I feel very comfortable with quant section. Nevertheless, I´m a not native speaker, and verbal section is a big monster for me. How did you improve so much in so little time???

Your comments are much appreciated.

hey nuburu

In order to improve you have to figure out what went wrong during your last attempt and than make sure that you improve on that particlular thing this time around.

As far as RC's and CR's are concerned i worked on Rc's for 1 month and 36 official lsat test papers are a great resource for them. Each passage has been explained very nicely so i beleive if u go through them than u can get a good hold of RC's. For Cr's also these papers are worth doing. LSAT RC's and CR's are a bit difficult than GMAT one's so they can prepare you for difficult GMAT questions .

About SC other than OG i did 1000 sc and Brutal SC's. SC will improve with practice only. Prepare your own notes ,write down each concept you learn from different forums or books and the mistakes u generally make and go through them on regular basis.

HTH
Ambar
Intern
Intern
Send PM
getmba wrote:
Congrats for a superb score! What were your practice scores like?

Thx getmba these were my practice scores
Manhattan GMAT
Cat1-650 Q47,V32
Cat2-680 Q48,V34
cat3-740 Q50,V41
cat4-740 Q51,V40
cat5-770 Q50,V44
Cat6-730 Q51,V38

Kaplan Cat1-650 q51 v35
Kaplan Cat2- 660 q50, v 38
Kaplan Cat3-650 q50,v36

Princeton Cat1-720 q51 v 38
Princeton Cat2-730 q51,v39

Gmat prep1-720 q51,v38---repeat 760
Gmat prep2-740 q51,v40---repeat 770
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 757 [0]
 Q50  V39
Send PM
amb512, Can you please tell me what pill you took previous night to sleep.....but biggest fear is that I won't be able to sleep well the previous night........and I don't want ruin the test just because of lack of sleep.

I understand that the pill might not have the same effect on everyone, and I wont hold you accountable for any mishaps... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Awsome score and goodluck with ur applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sdrandom1 wrote:
amb512, Can you please tell me what pill you took previous night to sleep.....but biggest fear is that I won't be able to sleep well the previous night........and I don't want ruin the test just because of lack of sleep.

I understand that the pill might not have the same effect on everyone, and I wont hold you accountable for any mishaps... :)

I took a 25 mg tranquilizer. I m from india so i dont think that u'll be getting the same pill at ur end. Ask any doctor about some tranquilizer.

Dude but remember to try it out atleast once before the exam..

All the best for ur Exam...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts