Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: First 10 questions [#permalink]
HiLine wrote:
If you post your ESR, we'll be able to provide more specific feedback and advice. There is a lot more to the ESR than merely the number of questions you got wrong. :)

What's the best way I can post my ESR here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi alibz,

Since you've just posted a bit of information about your Official GMAT Score, we have no basis for comparison (especially in terms of how that score compares to your CAT scores). Before I can offer the pointed advice that you're looking for, I need to know more about your studies so far and your timeline/goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) How long have you been studying?
3) What materials have you been using?

4) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine wrote:
If you post your ESR, we'll be able to provide more specific feedback and advice. There is a lot more to the ESR than merely the number of questions you got wrong. :)

I've attached my ESR here.
Attachments

ESR (1).pdf [456.33 KiB]
Downloaded 663 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi alibz,

Since you've just posted a bit of information about your Official GMAT Score, we have no basis for comparison (especially in terms of how that score compares to your CAT scores). Before I can offer the pointed advice that you're looking for, I need to know more about your studies so far and your timeline/goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) How long have you been studying?
3) What materials have you been using?

4) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response.

Here are my answers:

1. My goal was at least a 650.
2. I studied around 1.5 months.
3. I used the OG for concepts and practice.
4. My CAT scores are given below:

GMAC CAT 1 700 (Q47, V38)
GMAC CAT 2 680 (Q47, V36)
GMAC CAT 3 640 (Q46, V33)
GMAC CAT 4 620 (Q44, V31)
Veritas Prep 640 (Q45, V33)
Kaplan 640 (Q44, V34)

So, my range has been Q44-46 and V31-38.

5. I am planning on starting next year in the summer or the fall.
6. This will depend on my score. What I do know is that I am looking at part-time MBA.

I admit I wasn't fully prepared, but I think I was prepared enough to score above the 580 I got. Before I can dive deeper into what really happened, I can't seem to get the fact that I started so well and ended so poorly out of my head. I was hoping that somebody might have seen similar behaviour before, or might know how to tackle the tough questions once you have a really good start.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi alibz,

Now that we have a basis for comparison, we can dig a little deeper into how you studied. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi alibz,

Now that we have a basis for comparison, we can dig a little deeper into how you studied. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

1. For the first two GMAC CATs, I did not do the essay and IR.
2. Yes.
3. No, different times of the day.
4. I took them timed, like the real thing. Even dressed up during the tests.
5. No, these were one-off tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
You did indeed face tougher questions in the 2nd quarter as a result of answering all questions in the 1st quarter correctly. While it is normal for accuracy to decrease when the difficulty level of questions increases, the anomaly is the lack of recovery in the later quarters.

For Verbal, the explanation may be that you were running out of time: you spent a lot of time dealing with hard questions in the 2nd quarter and did not have enough time left to conquer less challenging questions that came later. The third quarter of the Verbal section was particularly damaging, as you actually got many easy questions wrong. What is consistent, however, is that you didn't know how to tackle above-Medium difficulty questions, as the difficulty level of the questions you got right hovered right around the Medium mark.

For Math, I'm guessing that you got exhausted or lost your focus somehow. You actually spent less time on questions you got wrong than on those you got right, a phenomenon that tells me you made careless mistakes rather than were unable to tackle hard questions. Or was it the case that you had some questions you simply had no clue about and skipped straight?

Overall, it seems that you have some holes in your understanding of GMAT topics. You don't seem to really have a strong sub-section, so I'm afraid you'll have to get better on all fronts. You may have to start over from scratch, since the Official Guide itself is not a very helpful strategy guide; it is much more suited for practice. You have several options:

1. In-person courses: These are great for people who think they'd benefit from the structure and peer motivation that come from enrolling in an organized class. The entire study plan is laid out for you, you have regular classes to attend, you have lots of potential study partners available, and you have at least one person (the teacher) who is an expert that you can consult when you need help or advice. A lot of people who are working full-time and don't have the time to put together their own study plan, or the energy to keep themselves motivated and consistently working without an outside influence, tend to get a lot out of these courses. You also don't need to know anything about the GMAT prior to starting one, though even if you have started studying by yourself, going over everything comprehensively can really help you master the topics. You still have to put in plenty of effort yourself, but there are some excellent prep courses out there if you're willing to do a little digging. Unfortunately, these courses are available only in certain large cities. If you don't live in one of these, tough luck.

2. Self-study: Self-studying takes a LOT of motivation and patience. You need to be rigorous about sticking to your schedule, but life happens and that can distract you from following your schedule sometimes; without an organized class, it's easy to lose momentum. It's a balancing act, and the stress of that alone is why it's definitely not for some people. There are tons of internet resources out there that you can use to your benefit, along with some very solid prep books that should serve as your foundation. Some students could have made more progress faster if they had a mentor of some kind to help them out once they started scoring in the upper ranges. It can be hard to diagnose your own mistakes and weaknesses.

3. Online courses: These are a great in-between option for those who don't want to commit to an in-person course, but don't want to be completely on their own either. Online courses will give you a lot of the structure that regular classes do, although you have to motivate yourself to do the work consistently. It's essentially assisted self-study. Some courses give you access to an expert that you can email with specific questions as well.

4. One-on-one tutoring: This is a great option for people who have already spent some time studying for the test or have already taken the test. Perhaps they have worked through some prep books, or completed a course, but they're not at the level that they want to be at. Private tutoring with an expert (make sure they've scored at least a 720, preferably 750+ on an actual test, otherwise they're no expert) will pretty much always guarantee a score increase. This person can help you identify your weaknesses, fill in the holes in your approach, give you lots of useful advanced tips, and help you tailor specific study plans. Tutoring tends to be expensive, rendering it a good option mostly for those that have prior exposure to the GMAT. But if you're pressed for time, or stuck at a certain plateau, this is your best option.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi alibz,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' Your two highest CAT scores were on Tests in which you skipped the first hour of the Exam, so those results in particular were the most inflated. Ignoring those two scores, your Official GMAT Score is right in-line with your other CAT performances.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials and learn/practice some new Tactics.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine wrote:
You did indeed face tougher questions in the 2nd quarter as a result of answering all questions in the 1st quarter correctly. While it is normal for accuracy to decrease when the difficulty level of questions increases, the anomaly is the lack of recovery in the later quarters.

For Verbal, the explanation may be that you were running out of time: you spent a lot of time dealing with hard questions in the 2nd quarter and did not have enough time left to conquer less challenging questions that came later. The third quarter of the Verbal section was particularly damaging, as you actually got many easy questions wrong. What is consistent, however, is that you didn't know how to tackle above-Medium difficulty questions, as the difficulty level of the questions you got right hovered right around the Medium mark.

For Math, I'm guessing that you got exhausted or lost your focus somehow. You actually spent less time on questions you got wrong than on those you got right, a phenomenon that tells me you made careless mistakes rather than were unable to tackle hard questions. Or was it the case that you had some questions you simply had no clue about and skipped straight?

Overall, it seems that you have some holes in your understanding of GMAT topics. You don't seem to really have a strong sub-section, so I'm afraid you'll have to get better on all fronts. You may have to start over from scratch, since the Official Guide itself is not a very helpful strategy guide; it is much more suited for practice. You have several options:

1. In-person courses: These are great for people who think they'd benefit from the structure and peer motivation that come from enrolling in an organized class. The entire study plan is laid out for you, you have regular classes to attend, you have lots of potential study partners available, and you have at least one person (the teacher) who is an expert that you can consult when you need help or advice. A lot of people who are working full-time and don't have the time to put together their own study plan, or the energy to keep themselves motivated and consistently working without an outside influence, tend to get a lot out of these courses. You also don't need to know anything about the GMAT prior to starting one, though even if you have started studying by yourself, going over everything comprehensively can really help you master the topics. You still have to put in plenty of effort yourself, but there are some excellent prep courses out there if you're willing to do a little digging. Unfortunately, these courses are available only in certain large cities. If you don't live in one of these, tough luck.

2. Self-study: Self-studying takes a LOT of motivation and patience. You need to be rigorous about sticking to your schedule, but life happens and that can distract you from following your schedule sometimes; without an organized class, it's easy to lose momentum. It's a balancing act, and the stress of that alone is why it's definitely not for some people. There are tons of internet resources out there that you can use to your benefit, along with some very solid prep books that should serve as your foundation. Some students could have made more progress faster if they had a mentor of some kind to help them out once they started scoring in the upper ranges. It can be hard to diagnose your own mistakes and weaknesses.

3. Online courses: These are a great in-between option for those who don't want to commit to an in-person course, but don't want to be completely on their own either. Online courses will give you a lot of the structure that regular classes do, although you have to motivate yourself to do the work consistently. It's essentially assisted self-study. Some courses give you access to an expert that you can email with specific questions as well.

4. One-on-one tutoring: This is a great option for people who have already spent some time studying for the test or have already taken the test. Perhaps they have worked through some prep books, or completed a course, but they're not at the level that they want to be at. Private tutoring with an expert (make sure they've scored at least a 720, preferably 750+ on an actual test, otherwise they're no expert) will pretty much always guarantee a score increase. This person can help you identify your weaknesses, fill in the holes in your approach, give you lots of useful advanced tips, and help you tailor specific study plans. Tutoring tends to be expensive, rendering it a good option mostly for those that have prior exposure to the GMAT. But if you're pressed for time, or stuck at a certain plateau, this is your best option.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply.

I agree, I had time issues in Verbal as is evident in the ESR.

For Quant, I skipped maybe 3-4.. the rest, I worked through.

I guess I need to start over.
GMAT Club Bot