Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 21:55 It is currently 15 May 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1837 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: First Official GMAT Lower Than Expected - Next Steps Retake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Usually the reason for a gap between OG CAT practice tests and the real test is more to do with test strategy, in-test process and timing management.

I tend to use a lot of sports analogies and here's one for this. There's a big difference between hitting a tennis shot, shooting a basketball or hitting a cricket ball in a real game vs in practice. You'll make a shot 100 times in practice and keep missing it under the pressure of a live match. What prevents you from doing that in a live game is things like a more solid stance, great follow through or keeping your eye on the ball. Ok enough of the analogy.

There's a similar thing happening during the live test. Under the pressure of the test, especially the implications of the score you get, any incompleteness in your approach to tackling quant and verbal questions is exposed. As you get more nervous/intense, you start missing things like a piece of key info in the prompt, what variable you're calculating or a simple calculation that you can normally do in your head. The solution is exactly the same as the sports analogy. A more resilient process for tacking question. That mean being precise when you're capturing / preprocessing a quant question (especially DS), using visualization consistently to ensure you don't fall into traps and using tools like estimation and answer scanning to get to the final answer more quickly.

I've helped many people break through this exact thing -- focusing solely on process and timing management (not the usual practice problems cycle). It should work for you too.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22236 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
First Official GMAT Lower Than Expected - Next Steps Retake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi dowg16,

710 is a great start! Can you tell me how much of TTP you’ve completed? Also, I’m going to reach out to you directly, so we can discuss a game plan. I’ve got your back, my friend.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22236 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The good news is that 710 is a very nice start! Regarding how to move forward, can you tell me what percent of TTP you've completed? Also, I'm going to reach out to you directly, so we can discuss a gameplan. I've got your back, my friend.
GMAT Club Bot