Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: First Two Tests - Abysmal Scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Astitwa,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. This is meant to say that you'll likely improve once you've put in more time AND studied in a consistent fashion. Given your score goal, and the scores that you've reported here, you will likely need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study to get up to that level. You would also likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Studies:
1) What practice materials have you used so far?
2) Are these two scores from the Official GMAT or are they practice CAT scores?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Both scores are from the GMAT practice tests (Princeton). I'm planning to write the real GMAT exam in the last week of March this year. But I can postpone it to one or two months further if I'm not performing optimally in the CATs. I do have time but I certainly don't want to drag preparations for quite a long time without results. As highlighted by BrazilianPhd though I can consider giving it more time since my level of preparation is not at all good. I can also buy more time since applications for executive programs for most of the B-Schools in India (ISB, IIMs) will now start from next-half of the 2017. I'm targeting for 2018 MBA. The study material is OG 2017 and Princeton Tests.

After analyzing your responses, I think I have been able to dig deeper into the problems I'm facing. First and foremost, a minor reason if I may call it so. I haven't been very good at standardized tests since school and college days. Just a psychological barrier, which I think makes me fumble and commit errors in time bound pressure tests. So most of the times, I'm losing out marks even on questions, which I know I should have been able to get correct. Of course, the time bound environment is getting to my nerves, so need to improve on mindset and stress management. Secondly, I'm surely lacking in practice. Most of the study in the last one month has been theoretical which I think led to more anxiety on the day I took the test. I realize I have been trying to compress too much in a short time, without applying what I have grasped. Underestimated the test, for sure.

- Stp015 - I agree I need to master the concepts. In Quants, particularly starting with Number Properties and Arithmetic. Went through some video tutorials on Magoosh. Fantastic stuff! Thank you. Have made of note of all your suggestions.

- EMPOWERgmatRichC - I'm planning to enroll in a guide-based prep course, though my only reservation is that with my full-time advertising job (time-consuming, extended hours, often late-nights) I'll only be able to attend weekend classes, leaving no breathing space in a week for me. Nevertheless, I'll need to find a schedule and a strategy to work around this. Weekdays - 2-3 hours daily and weekends 4 hours class + 4 hours self study. That should be a feasible plan for the time being.

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs and suggestions. I hope to get back to you with a score I desire.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you are planning to take the test in March and you clearly have not covered all of the material, why are you wasting time and CAT's? Should not you be busy studying rather than testing?

If you are doing practice sets, questions, quizzes, etc under time conditions, you should have a good idea where you stand in terms of your score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
If you are planning to take the test in March and you clearly have not covered all of the material, why are you wasting time and CAT's? Should not you be busy studying rather than testing?

If you are doing practice sets, questions, quizzes, etc under time conditions, you should have a good idea where you stand in terms of your score.

Hi bb,

I've been studying to take tests with a limited window of 7 or 10 days (incorrect approach, by now I have realized it) and that has surely affected the results As I said earlier - I think I have been trying to condense too much too soon. Need to immediately ditch such a plan and get back to studying (mastering the concepts). Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
Send PM
Expert Reply
Astitwa wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

I've been studying to take tests with a limited window of 7 or 10 days (incorrect approach, by now I have realized it) and that has surely affected the results As I said earlier - I think I have been trying to condense too much too soon. Need to immediately ditch such a plan and get back to studying (mastering the concepts). Thanks.

Sorry, I missed that point - hopefully you are more attentive than me this Christmas weekend ;)
yes, you need something solid to sink your teeth in (not sure if they metaphor really makes sense) but your main focus should be studying and checking/practicing but not testing yet. You should not be surprised though with your scores when you complete the math or verbal portion and start taking those tests.

Condensing your prep is not a bad thing by the way, if you can do all your prep in 3-4 months, that is a great timeframe.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sure, the metaphor works. Just realized it's Christmas weekend! Chalking out a practical and doable strategy and here's hoping I'll surprise myself with good scores once I'm thorough with the concepts and sufficient practice. Ah, a Christmas Wish! :lol:

And on a side note, gmatclub is so exhaustive. It's like a new world in itself! Amazing creation to say the least. Would love to read the story of its creation surely.

Merry Christmas.

cheers

bb wrote:
Astitwa wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Sorry, I missed that point - hopefully you are more attentive than me this Christmas weekend ;)
yes, you need something solid to sink your teeth in (not sure if they metaphor really makes sense) but your main focus should be studying and checking/practicing but not testing yet. You should not be surprised though with your scores when you complete the math or verbal portion and start taking those tests.

Condensing your prep is not a bad thing by the way, if you can do all your prep in 3-4 months, that is a great timeframe.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Astitwa,

Many GMATers have busy jobs and lives - so you're not alone. As such, trying to stick to a 'fixed' classroom schedule might not be the best plan - especially if you end up missing classes or falling behind on the assigned work. When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot