Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2014, 02:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:37) correct 34% (01:40) wrong based on 657 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmetic mean) equal to the median?

(1) If the n numbers in the set are listed in increasing order, then the difference between any pair of successive numbers in the set is 2.
(2) The range of the n numbers in the set is 2(n- 1).

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

V
Re: For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2014, 02:24
SOLUTION

For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmetic mean) equal to the median?

(1) If the n numbers in the set are listed in increasing order, then the difference between any pair of successive numbers in the set is 2. This implies that the set is even;y spaced. In any evenly spaced set the mean (average) is equal to the median. Sufficient.

(2) The range of the n numbers in the set is 2(n- 1). This is completely useless. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

P.S. The range is the difference between the smallest and largest elements of the set.
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2014, 04:22

(1) If the n numbers in the set are listed in increasing order, then the difference between any pair of successive numbers in the set is 2.
(2) The range of the n numbers in the set is 2(n- 1).

Sol:

St 1: The above statement basically means that the terms in the set are in Arithmetic Progression and thus Mean=Median.

Note that if it is given that Mean=Median then it does not mean that the set is in order

St 2: The range of n numbers is 2(n-1)

Consider n=3

Then trange =4

Now if Set consists of elements 1,3 and 5 then Mean=Median
but set consists of 1,4,5 then Mean is not equal to Median

Ans is A

650 levl is okay

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 07:15
A) x-4,x-2,x,x+2,x+4 (condition is successive difference is 2)
average = (x-4+x+4)/2 = 2x/2 = x
median = x

x-4,x-2,x,x+2,x+4,x+6 (condition is successive difference is 2)
average = (x-4+x+6)/2 = (2x+2)/2 = 2(x+1)/2 = x+1
median = x+1

SUFFICENT

B) What is a range? largest number - smallest number. It doesn't tell us much about the mean or median.
You can try some numbers here.
Constraint here is n > 1 which means you can take only 2 or 3 nos and find their average and that should be sufficient to answer the question.

INSUFFICIENT
Answer A

Difficulty level - 650
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2014, 11:50
ugimba wrote:

(2) The range of n numbers in the set is 2(n - 1).

I thought that 2(n-1) was the range for both n consecutive even/odd integers
Therefore, we still have an evenly spaced set
Thus, 2 was sufficient

Could someone please advice where am I going wrong here?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
V
Re: For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 02:26
jlgdr wrote:
ugimba wrote:

(2) The range of n numbers in the set is 2(n - 1).

I thought that 2(n-1) was the range for both n consecutive even/odd integers
Therefore, we still have an evenly spaced set
Thus, 2 was sufficient

Could someone please advice where am I going wrong here?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)

But the reverse is not necessarily true: not all n-element sets which have the range equal to 2(n - 1) are consecutive odd or consecutive even integers.

For example, {2, 3, 6} has the range equal to 2(n - 1) but this set is not of that type.
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 05:29
If numbers are listed in increasing order (consecutive even numbers, consecutive odd numbers and consecutive multiples), median=mean. Hence, since the condition 1) is always yes, the condition is sufficient. The correct answer choice is A.

l For cases where we need 3 more equations, such as original conditions with “3 variables”, or “4 variables and 1 equation”, or “5 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 80% chance that E is the answer (especially about 90% of 2 by 2 questions where there are more than 3 variables), while C has 15% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since E is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or D.
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 14:56
A neat little trick to remember is that for any series that is an Arithmetic progression, namely difference between each successive term is constant, the median is always = mean. I'll try to prove it below. Let us say there are n terms. There are two pssibillities n is odd or n is even. Let us say the constant difference is d (2 in the case of this problem).

1st term: a, 2nd term = a+d, 3rd term = a+2*d .... nth term = a+(n-1)*d
Adding all you get Sum = a*n +[ (1+2+3...+(n-1))]*d = a*n +[ n*(n-1)/2]*d ( another interesting result sum of the first n-1 integers is n*(n-1)/2]. Hence the Average = Sum/n = a+(n-1)/2*d

n is odd: Median = (n+1)/2 th term = a+(n-1)/2*d = Average so if n is odd we have proved avg always equal to mean.
n is even: Median = average of n/2 and (n/2+1)th term =[ a+(n/2-1)*d+a+(n/2)*d ]/2 = a+(n-1)*d/2 = Average so if n is even too we have proved avg always equal to mean. Thus (1) is always sufficient to answer such questions of if avg = median.

(2) Since only range is given we cant determine anything about the numbers in between so this informatino is insufficient. Hence answer is A.

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 03:42
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2019, 03:42

For a certain set of n numbers, where n > 1, is the average (arithmeti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics