Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
from 510 to 760, gmat test on 23. (13 days to go) what to do? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi glatzekatze.

The essay should not make much if any difference. Look up some templates, and to write the essay just find three flaws in the argument and plug them into a template. I personally found finding the three flaws to be pretty much the biggest challenge of writing the essay.

Regarding the quant and verbal sections, here is a KEY thing for you.

DO NOT FINISH EARLY, especially the verbal section.

There is no reason to finish early UNLESS you are getting 100% of the questions right consistently. OMG. I used to do something similar, finishing verbal early, and almost being excited about it. Wait a minute!!! I wasn't scoring V51. So what business did I have finishing early??

I decided to be more careful and use up all the time I had to really make sure that I was getting the verbal questions right, and guess what. That time I did score V51.

It's so easy to think, "Well I have spent enough time on this question." but have you? Are you 100% sure that your answers are correct? Apparently not, as you are not scoring 800 yet.

Even if you do somehow finish quant early, I say sit there. Before you answer the final quant question let the clock run for a little and catch a breather. Then you will be in a better position to score high on verbal, but so far I don't see you scoring Q51 either. So take more time and get more right answers. OMG. Your score is bouncing around 20 - 50 points and you are buzzing through the questions. Slow down and get them right. Check every answer if you have that much time.

Meanwhile, be careful about taking the same tests more than once, and ESPECIALLY more than twice. I realize you are also taking fresh practice tests, but anyway repeats can be misleading in multiple ways. Check out this post. https://infinitemindprep.com/resetting-a ... et-smoked/

At this point, for quant go over your practice tests and maybe use the Manhattan analytics to find your least strong areas. Then get very strong in those areas. A couple of weeks is plenty of time to for covering six to ten weaker areas and becoming totally expert in them.

To stay motivated, notice how annoying it is to run into quant questions that you have trouble answering.

For verbal, just keep working on any type of questions that you find challenging, and do them slowly, seeking to get basically 100% of the the practice questions you do correct. When you do verbal practice questions, work to develop an eye for the key details and logic that you have to see in order to get them right, and for each question figure out why all of the wrong answers are wrong and the right answer is right.

Maybe another thing that will motivate you is that I find it ridiculous that you would allow yourself to score around 700 when you could score 750+ by, over just a couple of weeks, covering some quant topics, getting better at seeing what you have to see in verbal and using up the allotted time when you take the test.

I am glad to see that you got two more GMAT Prep tests.

ROCK this thing!!

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 09 Jun 2016, 23:10.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 06 Jul 2020, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: from 510 to 760, gmat test on 23. (13 days to go) what to do? [#permalink]
MartyMurray wrote:
Hi glatzekatze.

The essay should not make much if any difference. Look up some templates, and to write the essay just find three flaws in the argument and plug them into a template. I personally found finding the three flaws to be pretty much the biggest challenge of writing the essay.

Regarding the quant and verbal sections, here is a KEY thing for you.

DO NOT FINISH EARLY, especially the verbal section.

There is no reason to finish early UNLESS you are getting 100% of the questions right consistently. OMG. I used to do something similar, finishing verbal early, and almost being excited about it. Wait a minute!!! I wasn't scoring V51. So what business did I have finishing early??

I decided to be more careful and use up all the time I had to really make sure that I was getting the verbal questions right, and guess what. That time I did score V51.

It's so easy to think, "Well I have spent enough time on this question." but have you? Are you 100% sure that your answers are correct? Apparently not, as you are not scoring 800 yet.

Even if you do somehow finish quant early, I say sit there. Before you answer the final quant question let the clock run for a little and catch a breather. Then you will be in a better position to score high on verbal, but so far I don't see you scoring Q51 either. So take more time and get more right answers. OMG. Your score is bouncing around 20 - 50 points and you are buzzing through the questions. Slow down and get them right. Check every answer if you have that much time.

Meanwhile, be careful about taking the same tests more than once, and ESPECIALLY more than twice. I realize you are also taking fresh practice tests, but anyway repeats can be misleading in multiple ways. Check out this post. https://infinitemindprep.com/resetting-a ... et-smoked/

At this point, for quant go over your practice tests and maybe use the Manhattan analytics to find your least strong areas. Then get very strong in those areas. A couple of weeks is plenty of time to for covering six to ten weaker areas and becoming totally expert in them.

To stay motivated, notice how annoying it is to run into quant questions that you have trouble answering.

If you want categorized quant questions with which to practice, you could sign up for a free practice account in the GMAT area here, https://bellcurves.com.

For verbal, just keep working on any type of questions that you find challenging, and do them slowly, seeking to get basically 100% of the the practice questions you do correct. When you do verbal practice questions, work to develop an eye for the key details and logic that you have to see in order to get them right, and for each question figure out why all of the wrong answers are wrong and the right answer is right.

Maybe another thing that will motivate you is that I find it ridiculous that you would allow yourself to score around 700 when you could score 750+ by over just a couple of weeks covering some quant topics, getting better at seeing what you have to see in verbal and using up the allotted time when you take the test.

I am glad to see that you got two more GMAT Prep tests. Additionally, you could use the free first Veritas test. For some cool quant, try the free 800Score quant test.

ROCK this thing!!

Hi Marty Murray,

thank you so much for your answer! I will keep on working on my accuracy. I know that technically I could get 100% right, I'm just too impatient!

May I ask you what your practice test results were before you wrote the real thing?
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
glatzekatze wrote:
Hi Marty Murray,

thank you so much for your answer! I will keep on working on my accuracy. I know that technically I could get 100% right, I'm just too impatient!

That way you operate is an emotional thing and maybe even a fear thing. When you take practice tests, feel the urge to run too fast and ride it out, taking your time even though doing so feels uncomfortable. After a while you will feel more natural taking a more appropriate amount of time per question and really making sure that you answers are correct.

Quote:
May I ask you what your practice test results were before you wrote the real thing?

My last few scores were two 800's on Veritas tests and 780 on a GMAT Prep test. I really wanted to score 800. So, after seeing that 780 I did some meditation, on accuracy for one thing, and worked on some weaker areas in quant. By the time I took the actual test I was able to burn through quant, and I was sooooo careful and determined going through the verbal section. Whereas usually I had finished verbal a little early, that last time I barely finished on time. I just refused to get any verbal questions wrong.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi glatzekatze,

Since you're nearing your Official Test Date, it's important to make your remaining CATs "match up" with your Official Test Date in as many ways as you can reasonably account for. Thus, you should take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, away from your home, etc. If what you've described about your pacing is true, then you have the opportunity to slow down a bit and double-check your work before answering each question. Once you have your next CAT score, you should post back here and we can talk through any adjustments that you might want to make in these last couple 2 weeks of study.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I just took my full CAT, the result was 760 (Q50/V42), just as it was the last time I scored. This time I was really week in Reading Comprehension, this is usually one of my best areas, I don't know what happened there, probably just two texts which were quite confusing to me!

I too have to admit that I was not in my best shape regarding concentration this time, so I guessed some questions.
Attachments

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.43.png [ 101.3 KiB | Viewed 4241 times ]

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.30.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.30.png [ 112.57 KiB | Viewed 4266 times ]

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.10.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 11.37.10.png [ 111.24 KiB | Viewed 4259 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi glatzekatze,

With this latest CAT result, you certainly appear ready to take the Official GMAT and score at a high level. One of the 'wild cards' in the Verbal section will always be the subject-matter and 'density' of the RC passage that you face. At your scoring level, you're likelier to see tougher passages and you're likelier to see more 'science' subjects (since those are often the tougher subjects for Test Takers). That's the 'reward' for having strong Verbal skills. Thankfully, the structure of those passages and the questions types (and wrong answers within those questions) will follow the same general patterns as all the RC prompts do. In that way, you can take advantage of those patterns (and shift your focus a bit from trying to comprehend everything that you're reading to "why" the author is writing what he/she is writing).

Whatever routine you're following appears to be working, so I suggest that you stick with it - just make sure not to overdo anything in these last couple of weeks. Going into Test Day well-rested and ready to work is a must.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Everything MartyMurray and EMPOWERgmatRichC said.

Also, do not waste your time with non-official practice problems and tests. Try to replicate the exact same testing conditions as those you'll be under on exam day. Know your test site, etc.

Stay humble and focused. Strive for 100% accuracy. Try really hard to get everything right, and don't even worry about the time. If you need several minutes to solve a particularly challenging question, so be it.

By the way, would you pm me the info of your tutor? He seems to be a decent one!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Glatzekatze,

Are you working?
Can you please post your work and study schedule?

I am finding it really hard to maintain the regularity at studies.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vipul1702 wrote:
Hi Glatzekatze,

Are you working?

Hi vipul1702,

To be completely honest, I don't really have a schedule. I just finished my Bachelor and decided to take some weeks off just to study for the gmat. I just get up in the morning between 8 and 9, at the moment most of the time at 7, since my exam will be at 8:30 and I would to be productive at this time. And then I usually just practice, practice, practice, I try to exercises from every segment every day, so that I don't forget anything important. I usually study 5 hours and then take a one hour break to eat something and then I continue studying for another 4-5 hours. On some days when I just realize that it doesn't make sense to study because of concentration problems or else, I just stop, doesn't matter if after 1 hour or 5. But this studying really is exhausting. One day, I just studied 2 hours in the morning and then enjoyed the rest of the day meeting friends, being in the sun etc. This really boosted my score. I think it is really important to have some distraction once in a while. Just to get your head free again!
In the beginning of studying it was really hard for me to, it took me about 1-2 weeks to develop a routine, but now if I don't get up early to study.. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right.

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
glatzekatze wrote:
vipul1702 wrote:
Hi Glatzekatze,

Are you working?

Hi vipul1702,

To be completely honest, I don't really have a schedule. I just finished my Bachelor and decided to take some weeks off just to study for the gmat. I just get up in the morning between 8 and 9, at the moment most of the time at 7, since my exam will be at 8:30 and I would to be productive at this time. And then I usually just practice, practice, practice, I try to exercises from every segment every day, so that I don't forget anything important. I usually study 5 hours and then take a one hour break to eat something and then I continue studying for another 4-5 hours. On some days when I just realize that it doesn't make sense to study because of concentration problems or else, I just stop, doesn't matter if after 1 hour or 5. But this studying really is exhausting. One day, I just studied 2 hours in the morning and then enjoyed the rest of the day meeting friends, being in the sun etc. This really boosted my score. I think it is really important to have some distraction once in a while. Just to get your head free again!
In the beginning of studying it was really hard for me to, it took me about 1-2 weeks to develop a routine, but now if I don't get up early to study.. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right.

Good luck!!

Thanks for sharing the information and All the best for your exam :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi glatzekatze,

Hope all is well. I know it has been a while since you posted on this thread but I was hoping to learn more about your daily routine and information about the tutor you used. I have two months until I take the GMAT and similar to you scored a 530 on my first GMATPrep test. I am targeting a 700 and want to make sure I am being most efficient with my time. I do work full-time but can commit 3-4 hours a night and more on the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmat0305,

To start, you will likely receive more of a response if you start a new post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one). Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply! I actually decided to start my own thread after posting this. It’s titled: “Would welcome advice : Study Plan”

Happy to provide more info there tonight regarding the CATs and exact breakdown.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gmat0305,

You posted that message in an area where most people won't actually see it, so you should plan to post your messages in this forum (General GMAT Questions and Strategies) where you will likely receive more of a response.

Rich
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi GMAT0305,

I responded to you in detail here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-advice-284465.html
GMAT Club Bot