Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: From 720 to 680 [#permalink]
raabenb wrote:
It really sucks what happened to you but you also serve as an example for the people who have good scores and still want to retake. There is no guarantee that you will even go up....and still a chance that you will do worse!

Honestly, you just had a bad day. It really seems like that. Maybe it was just your nerves?

I don't know what it was. I'm just pretty disappointed right now.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
That's quite a predicament ned80, I'm so sorry this happened.

You already know that most adcoms will accept your highest GMAT score and it shouldn't be hard to explain your 680 as you just having an off-day. I understand you're concerned about the 45Q, but will taking the test a third time be really worth it? It's probably more worth your while to take a handful of classes in stats, accounting etc. and try to get A's on those to demonstrate your comfort with numbers rather than gamble with taking the GMAT again.

As a liberal arts major with a mediocre record in math classes, I flirted with the idea of taking the test again myself to try and score a point or two higher in my quant section (and be well clear of that famed 80/80 hurdle) but eventually decided to just take a couple of classes in finance and accounting at a local school and do well on them to convince admissions committees I wasn't a complete "poet."

I actually think you posting about your experience here will be very helpful to other test takers on the board; it should make them seriously mull whether or not taking the GMAT again once they've broken the 700+ barrier really makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
That's quite a predicament ned80, I'm so sorry this happened.

You already know that most adcoms will accept your highest GMAT score and it shouldn't be hard to explain your 680 as you just having an off-day. I understand you're concerned about the 45Q, but will taking the test a third time be really worth it? It's probably more worth your while to take a handful of classes in stats, accounting etc. and try to get A's on those to demonstrate your comfort with numbers rather than gamble with taking the GMAT again.

As a liberal arts major with a mediocre record in math classes, I flirted with the idea of taking the test again myself to try and score a point or two higher in my quant section (and be well clear of that famed 80/80 hurdle) but eventually decided to just take a couple of classes in finance and accounting at a local school and do well on them to convince admissions committees I wasn't a complete "poet."

I actually think you posting about your experience here will be very helpful to other test takers on the board; it should make them seriously mull whether or not taking the GMAT again once they've broken the 700+ barrier really makes sense.

Actually, I've already been accepted by an MBA program and will be starting in the fall. I just wanted to take the GMAT again to keep the PhD option open. Most of the top PhD programs have an average GMAT score of around 700, but their average quant score is 48-50, leaving me 3 or 4 points short in the Quant department.

Well, at least I've got the MBA in the bag. I don't know if I want to take the GMAT again and run the risk of screwing up my score report even more. Hopefully my 45Q can cut it if I decide to keep going after the MBA....unless the programs take a look at my 680 second attempt and automatically ding me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Mate similar to my experience - except my score remained the same (your practice test scores mimick mine)... All I can say is tough luck and dont worry about it, you've already got a 720 under the belt and schools will look at that. I'd say focus on the apps with the 720 and retake once you've sent your applications through in R1.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts