Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton (WEMBA East)
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Re: GMAT Backfired. In Big Trouble. Need Help! [#permalink]
scorcho wrote:
I don't think you're in big trouble, but I hear a lot of distress in what you're saying. I'm not a lawyer, a psychiatrist or anything else on television--I'm just giving you my 2 cents without much in the way of critical context.

That said, it seems like you need to back up, take some of the pressure off of yourself, and get your personal situation stabilized a bit more. Once you do that, it sounds like you'd be in a lot better place to figure out if an MBA is going to meet your expectations and if you want to and feel up to improving your GMAT score.

In terms of number of retakes, I'm not sure how much this matters. I don't think you want to spend your life retaking the GMAT, but if you want to give it another shot and can devote the time and effort effectively, then why not. Follow your dreams.

At the same time, I think it bears mentioning that no single degree is guaranteed to patch up anyone's career progression. Sure, you go to HBS, maybe everyone there graduates and has an amazing career (actually, there's the disgruntled guy who wrote that book I can't remember the name of -- so we've already disproven that notion). I think for most people it can definitely improve their progression--that's why we're all here right? But there aren't guarantees and some people probably get an MBA and regret it. My wife probably regrets her JD.

Which is all to say, it sounds like you're putting an inordinate amount of pressure on yourself and moving with a bit of desperation. Careers take decades and sometimes people take years to get theirs where they want it to be--unless you're as old as me, I'd wager you have time. :)

So get a new job, get started off on the right foot, get comfortable and then think about attacking the GMAT and application. You have a lot of opportunity to improve on verbal, right? If you want to take a break but still work verbal, start reading some well-written English-language authors (Martin Amis blows me away) or The Economist. At some point when you're ready, start chipping away at your verbal. Plan for more time than you think you'll need to keep the pressure off--remember; it's a race not a sprint and you have time.

I don't think just trying to barrel through and move your score up to 620 is going to help you--you still have to deal with the application, interviews and school, and I think you need to have some peace of mind and confidence to do all these things to the best of your ability.

Anyway, I'll get down off my soapbox now :) Best of luck.

Top post sir
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
zuperman wrote:
scorcho wrote:
I don't think you're in big trouble, but I hear a lot of distress in what you're saying. I'm not a lawyer, a psychiatrist or anything else on television--I'm just giving you my 2 cents without much in the way of critical context.

That said, it seems like you need to back up, take some of the pressure off of yourself, and get your personal situation stabilized a bit more. Once you do that, it sounds like you'd be in a lot better place to figure out if an MBA is going to meet your expectations and if you want to and feel up to improving your GMAT score.

In terms of number of retakes, I'm not sure how much this matters. I don't think you want to spend your life retaking the GMAT, but if you want to give it another shot and can devote the time and effort effectively, then why not. Follow your dreams.

At the same time, I think it bears mentioning that no single degree is guaranteed to patch up anyone's career progression. Sure, you go to HBS, maybe everyone there graduates and has an amazing career (actually, there's the disgruntled guy who wrote that book I can't remember the name of -- so we've already disproven that notion). I think for most people it can definitely improve their progression--that's why we're all here right? But there aren't guarantees and some people probably get an MBA and regret it. My wife probably regrets her JD.

Which is all to say, it sounds like you're putting an inordinate amount of pressure on yourself and moving with a bit of desperation. Careers take decades and sometimes people take years to get theirs where they want it to be--unless you're as old as me, I'd wager you have time. :)

So get a new job, get started off on the right foot, get comfortable and then think about attacking the GMAT and application. You have a lot of opportunity to improve on verbal, right? If you want to take a break but still work verbal, start reading some well-written English-language authors (Martin Amis blows me away) or The Economist. At some point when you're ready, start chipping away at your verbal. Plan for more time than you think you'll need to keep the pressure off--remember; it's a race not a sprint and you have time.

I don't think just trying to barrel through and move your score up to 620 is going to help you--you still have to deal with the application, interviews and school, and I think you need to have some peace of mind and confidence to do all these things to the best of your ability.

Anyway, I'll get down off my soapbox now :) Best of luck.

Top post sir

I second that. You just need to relax a bit and find a job. Pressure of GMAT and joblessness is killing you and with this feeling you would make things worse. Take some pressure off your back and take things one by one. I am sure you gonna succeed, it might have been your off day when you scored 500. Just give your best again when you find some peace of mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
sorry to hear. I was in the same boat. My first try was 610, then I decided to retake. Was getting ready for 4 months full-time. Scored in upper 600's - lower 700's in all prep tests. And bam - 540. Total bs. And you can not do anything. Pearsons VUE is just another corporation with call center in India. I just wanted to see what went wrong, because I was getting tough questions and felt very strong. It was worse than dealing w dell :evil: Anyway, my school looked at the highest score and i got admitted anyway. But oh, boy I was mad. And still am for the way they administer this exam.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts