Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619040 [36]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619040 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Chia seeds, small oval seeds whose source is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Acids are countable, so instead of less we need fewer. Eliminate B and E.
The subject, which is SEEDS, is plural, so eliminate A with 'contains'.
Finally, between C and D we eliminate D, because it doesn't have a verb after the comparison (are the source of ..... than hemp seeds ARE) and also D is wordier.
Therefore, C is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Chia seeds, small oval seeds whose source is the [#permalink]
Lizaza wrote:
Finally, between C and D we eliminate D, because it doesn't have a verb after the comparison (are the source of ..... than hemp seeds ARE) and also D is wordier.
Therefore, C is correct.

Hi Lizaza

Can you elaborate how are acids countable ? If we try and count them, " 1 acids, 2 acids, 3 acids......" , it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Lizaza wrote:
Therefore, C is correct.

Hi Lizaza

Can you elaborate how are acids countable ? If we try and count them, " 1 acids, 2 acids, 3 acids......" , it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hi there! Well, I just mean that in the English language the word acid is countable. Yes, one acid, two acids, just like that :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Lizaza wrote:
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Lizaza wrote:
Therefore, C is correct.

Hi Lizaza

Hi there! Well, I just mean that in the English language the word acid is countable. Yes, one acid, two acids, just like that :)

I get what you mean, but I believe "the acids " found in seeds is not a physically countable thing. We can't say a particular type of seed contains , for example 3 omega acids. Sounds non-sensical. Maybe I am missing something. :?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32879 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Chia seeds, small oval seeds whose source is the [#permalink]
Top Contributor
The word acid is per se UNcountable. Like water. Water is UNcountable. However, countable is "Can I have please a glass of water? or a tank? then is countable

Another example: if I say" Tomorrow I am going to have my workout into the gym and I will take, to have more strength, my amino-acids (in terms of pills or capsules) then is countable.

In the end, acid countable does not have any sense!

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35 (Online)
Send PM
carcass wrote:
The word acid is per se UNcountable. Like water. Water is UNcountable. However, countable is "Can I have please a glass of water? or a tank? then is countable

Another example: if I say" Tomorrow I am going to have my workout into the gym and I will take, to have more strength, my amino-acids (in terms of pills or capsules) then is countable.

In the end, acid countable does not have any sense!

Hope this helps

There is a parallelism error in c. But all other options also have issues.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Notice the word 'fatty Acids'.

Because of 'Acids' and not 'acid', we know it is not a single acid but rather a class of acids.
class of = number of. Therefore, it is countable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Lizaza wrote:
Therefore, C is correct.

Hi Lizaza

Hi Naman

There is a simple rule, things which are in plural are always considered countable. GMAT uses this rule, you might find some questions in OG as well.
Refer to this link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-report-by- ... 47018.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Chia seeds, small oval seeds whose source is the plant Salvia hispanica, native to southern and central Mexico, contains fewer omega-6 fatty acids than hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for treating depression.

A. contains fewer omega-6 fatty acids than hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for
B. contain less omega-6 fatty acids than those found in hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, known for
C. contain fewer omega-6 fatty acids than do hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, known for
D. are the source of fewer omega-6 fatty acids than hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for
E. is the source of less omega-6 fatty acids than hemp seeds and more omega-3 fatty acids, known for

This question was provided by The Economist
for the GMAT Club Olympics Competition

Win over $40,000 in prizes such as Courses, Tests, Private Tutoring, and more

Explanation

We’ll go for PRECISE because there is a simple grammatical rule we can use.

The subject of the sentence is chia seeds, which is plural, so the verb must match it—contain, not contains. Of the three answers in which the verb matches the subject, two have other mistakes: (B) uses less, a quantifier used for uncountable nouns, to describe a countable noun—acids, and (D) makes an illogical comparison, which suggests that chia seeds contain hemp seeds. The answer is therefore (C).

We’ll go for LOGICAL because we can correct the wrong illogical comparison.

The construction of the comparison made in the original sentence makes it sound as if chia seeds contain hemp seeds (because it says fewer acids than hemp seeds), but one kind of seed cannot contain another kind. Answer choices (D) and (E) make the same faulty comparison. Answer choice (B) gets the comparison (... than those found in hemp seeds) right but contains a new mistake: it uses less, a quantifier used for non-count nouns, to describe the countable noun acids. The answer is therefore (C).

How are we saying that acids are countable?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts