Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:10 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: GMAT in less than 2 mos. 600 (Q29, V44) in 1st practice test. Advice? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
stayfrosty

You have an extremely high verbal score considering that you haven't done much preparation at all. In my experience from teaching students, I find that a high verbal score correlates with the ability to score high on the quant as well. However, you will need to brush up on all the fundamentals and in addition get a hang for the style and format of how the GMAT phrases the questions. Because of your strong language skills you should not have much trouble dealing with the GMAT language on quant questions. It will just be a matter of getting exposed to enough official GMAT questions. I would strongly suggest you to stick with official GMAT content(at least for practice), be it the official GMAT guides or the official GMATPrep software and the various supporting products such as GMATPrep question pack 1, Exam Pack 1, etc.

best wishes,
Dabral
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT in less than 2 mos. 600 (Q29, V44) in 1st practice test. Advice? [#permalink]
Thanks, everyone. I'm making progress on the Manhattan math foundations book, doing all of the drills no matter how monotonous they are. I still find myself making a careless mistake here and there, so I think it's a good thing I'm forcing myself to do them.

I'll move onto the other Manhattan books soon, and will focus on them for the remaining weeks before the test. I'll also take your advice and do plenty of practice questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dabral wrote:

You have an extremely high verbal score considering that you haven't done much preparation at all. In my experience from teaching students, I find that a high verbal score correlates with the ability to score high on the quant as well. However, you will need to brush up on all the fundamentals and in addition get a hang for the style and format of how the GMAT phrases the questions. Because of your strong language skills you should not have much trouble dealing with the GMAT language on quant questions. It will just be a matter of getting exposed to enough official GMAT questions. I would strongly suggest you to stick with official GMAT content(at least for practice), be it the official GMAT guides or the official GMATPrep software and the various supporting products such as GMATPrep question pack 1, Exam Pack 1, etc.

best wishes,
Dabral

Are you not a fan of the Manhattan books, or is it okay to use them with the OG? I have the OG, including the supplemental quant and verbal books. But as far as I can tell I'll only use them when referenced by the Manhattan books.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
stayfrosty

It is okay to use general books to learn the strategy but for practice I would recommend you to exclusively spend your precious time on official GMAT questions. This is because each student has to eventually recognize the style and preferences of the GMAT test writers and to see the typical traps and distractions that they set up on the exam. And the only way to do so is to practice with official GMAT questions.

Cheers,
Dabral
GMAT Club Bot