Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
himjhamb wrote:
So, do you agree that I don't need to do PR? and Kaplan book+CD, PP1, PP2 and OG should be enough prep material to sit for the exam?

Thanks for replying!

Also, Is 2 months prep. time a bit hurried? I got the impression from your post that it might be...

Glad to be of help... Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 2 months is not a lot of time. I'm not sure what your time constraints are in studying for this test so I thought I'd just toss that in :oops:

Personally, I liked PR because it gave some useful hints on exam strategies (especially for awa/verbal). I felt that Kaplan gave more challenging problems however. I think there will be differing opinions on how to prepare and how long to prepare since it's kind of a personal thing.

Some people on this board have gotten 700+ with just a few weeks studying (I'm so jealous!).

The matierals you have and the two months time frame should be sufficient if you work hard and focus. The OG has something like 1,400 questions so that's a lot of material to go through. After taking the exam once, I felt that one of the big things I messed up on was not making full use of the guides or OG. I did the practice tests, but never really examined the explanations. I think I lost some insight by not taking the time to read and understand the explanations (I was blowing through the OG to finish 1,400 like it was some sort of weird milestone that must be accomplished before taking the exam).

Of course, use this site and the members as much as possible!

Maybe a good idea would be to start off doing a diagnostic test to see where you stand (after you go through Kaplan or PR there should be a diagnostic test or something like that as I remember). I think a lot of people would agree that Kaplan scores are generally 50-100 points or so lower than what you would get in reality. If you feel that you need to do more prep, you can always reschedule. When the time comes, make sure you feel comfortable with the exam.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Kickoff [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himjhamb wrote:
Hi All,
Am kicking off my GMAT Prep. today & want to start off in a planned manner rather than in an adhoc way. Don't want to go gung-ho barging into B&N and picking up all the prep. material (Kaplan, Princeton, OG, Arco ... etc)

Few questions I had -

1) What would be the best prep material to purchase for preparation?
Based on what I read on this site - I think it should be

- Kaplan book+CD
- Powerprep
- OG Ver 10.

2) Should I also look out for the Princeton Review? Arco, I believe is not so good.

3) What should be the strategy of attacking the GMAT Preparation? Should it be Powerprep Test 1, Kaplan book + CD, Powerprep Test 2, then OG?

I think I would give myself about 2 months to prepare for the GMAT. Keeping that in mind, what would be the best way of charting out a course for the GMAT prep?

All suggestions welcome & would be appreciated.

thanks!

Sorry, a little late to jump in and put my pennies, but I would add Kaplan Workbooks to the list. I would start with KaplanBook (CD) and then move on to the workbooks and then head to OG and PP.

There is indeed no probability/combinations or almost none.

I don't really know a good source of probability; we have a number of questions in our little collection that we put out for sale. Also, this site has a larege number of probability quesitons - you just need to search for them in the forums.

Timewise, I would allocate 3 or 3+ months if you have a full time job.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Guys! For the timely and good advice(s).

I think I would go with Kaplan Book+CD, the workbooks (do these come separate?) & then jump to OG. BTW, where does PowerPrep fit in here?

Also, does Kaplan Book/CDs cover EVERYTHING that I would need as far as the Math & Verbal lessons are concerned? (barring probability, as you have pointed out.

thanks!

PS> Rest assured, You guys will be hearing from me a lot in this forum for the next 2-3 months...:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Powerprep BEFORE OG :-). Otherwise it will not be a good predictor since you would have already seen the questions. Rest as BB said is ok. Read through back forums and posts of BB and others on this and GMAT experience thread. Then repost. We will be glad to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
advice please!!! [#permalink]
I took a test online and got 56% total which is low for a gmat score. The online test was just regular questions not computer adaptive. My weaknesses are RC, CR, DS. I was surprised to see an increase in my score for SC since I read the Grammar Smart book. I need an increase of at least 200 points. Any pointers as to increase my stamina throughout the test? I noticed that I do get sleepy and I do have headaches after the quant section. I also ran out of time for the last 5 questions for quant.
I have not scheduled my exam but targeting for last week of June so that I could apply for fall admissions. Please gmat experts...give me some advice and support! Praet, let me know how to register for the error log. I go online everyday and could make 100 posts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is OG? [#permalink]
Can someone elucidate me as to what OG is?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
himjhamb wrote:
Thanks Guys! For the timely and good advice(s).

I think I would go with Kaplan Book+CD, the workbooks (do these come separate?) & then jump to OG. BTW, where does PowerPrep fit in here?

Also, does Kaplan Book/CDs cover EVERYTHING that I would need as far as the Math & Verbal lessons are concerned? (barring probability, as you have pointed out.

thanks!

PS> Rest assured, You guys will be hearing from me a lot in this forum for the next 2-3 months...:)

I started reviewing some of the books for gmatclub and amazon.com and here are some of the links:

Kaplan's book with CD: Kaplan's Math Workbook: Kaplan's Verbal Workbook:

https://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... Fbestbooks)&browse()

More are coming today :wink:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
Re: What is OG? [#permalink]
suraksha wrote:
Can someone elucidate me as to what OG is?

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5967
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What is OG? [#permalink]
thanks paul.. for your instant reply!!

A queer doubt... will using the OG alone help for a good score?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It may. It all depends on your ability to master the concepts. There is nothing better than practice, practice and practice. If you run out of problems from OG, try other material such as Kaplan, PR GMAT. To improve your verbal skills, I also recommend you to you LSAT material. Last but not least, try out problems from this board and participate. Discussion is key to better understanding.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
BB - Great post. Thanks for the links to the Kaplan Workbooks.

Starting off w/Kaplan's workbooks & CD. Then going to PowerPrep tests, then OG.

Judging by the previous posts, Don't think PR would be really required after all the above.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]